ADVERTISEMENT

Not Ready For Prime Time...Yet

coolonetoo

Junior
May 12, 2003
Going toe-to-toe with A$M and L$U is a good sign. However, there were three quality starts over the weekend and it only generated one victory because of lack of runs. A win Friday or today probably would have vaulted the Huskers into the top 25. Instead, they're one game over .500.

I expect Nebraska to improve more between now and May than either of those teams. So I'm encouraged for the rest of the season but disappointed today.

Originally posted by coolonetoo:
Going toe-to-toe with A$M and L$U is a good sign. However, there were three quality starts over the weekend and it only generated one victory because of lack of runs. A win Friday or today probably would have vaulted the Huskers into the top 25. Instead, they're one game over .500.

I expect Nebraska to improve more between now and May than either of those teams. So I'm encouraged for the rest of the season but disappointed today.
Yep. The competition should prepare us well for the rest of the season. Still needed to get one of those games to consider the weekend a success though.

Agreed. I was thinking 7-6 or 8-5 out of these first 13 games, now with 16 straight at home (17 with the UNO game in Omaha), I would say we need to go 13-4.

With that said our starting pitching is rounding into form. Pitching and defense should win us alot of games this year. Tad bit worried about our midweek starters but we should he tough on the weekend.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Need to clean up some of the little things to be more fundamentally sound, especially the horrid baserunning. Just need to continue to improve game to game and start putting some winning streaks together.

Pitching is a great foundation, a foundation we haven't had in years past. I think we will get better as the year goes on and this schedule will pay dividends down the line.

Pitching has been a nice surprise. Thought the arms were there but was worried they were young. I thought it might be mid season before they rounded into form.

Offense has just been bad and combined with the anemic power on this team will make for a A LOT of stressful games this year. Only way I see a successful season at this point is we clean up the little things like base running, sacrificing, and better situational hitting (e.g, moving runners over, runner on 3rd < 2 outs, etc...)

What do we have......2 HR's as a team ? And 1 of those is from Cox who won't have another one all year.

Not gonna lie. It's upsetting coming away with two losses this weekend. I guess that's who we are. Certainly saw enough good things to feel pretty good about this season. I mean, we definitely look like a tournament team just on pitching alone and there's no reason to think it will fall apart on us. Solid pitching. Gonna win a lot of games.

But it's upsetting, to me, watching LSU school us in base running, situational hitting and defensive play both infield and outfield. Their defense was able to knife though our threats in a way that takes the heart right out of you. And their offense can smell blood and pounce. We pitched with them and hit with them but, in the end, they were always going to beat us in that game and probably any game we play them. They're just better.

The A&M game was even more upsetting because, there, the baseball gods beat us. Solo home run? By a nine hole hitter? Good grief. Yeah, that was a tough game to win but we were in it. We could have won it and maybe should have won it. A&M isn't that good. They're not LSU good. This is a team who has surrendered 36 runs, 12 of which are unearned runs. Crazy stat and vs good competition will cost them wins. And I hate A&M, but that's just me.

So, we're 7-6 after a 13 game swing around the country and finally coming home. We're gonna win games but at the end of March we meet Fullerton and Texas for five games and I hope we solve some problems before they come to town. I think we can. Good pitching is a heckuva base to build on. Trying to think positive. GBR!

Originally posted by bigredrl:

What do we have......2 HR's as a team ? And 1 of those is from Cox who won't have another one all year.
On the upside, we've only given up 2 from our pitching staff.

ADVERTISEMENT