ADVERTISEMENT

Northwestern winning the arms race....

Good for them. It is beautiful, no doubt. My question is will it help get better athletes since the academic qualifications to get into NW are so very high? Not a large pool of players to pick from. I would think out of that pool of players most would probably (not always) choose Stanford, & Notre Dame over NW just because of the tradition and their football is better. JMO

Also who are the people behind the scenes running it? Like the coaches, athletic staff, trainers, strength coaches. Those are the people that make it go. The facilities are just what enhances these peoples strengths. JMO

I don't get having a beautiful view during practice? What is that exactly going to do for your team? It is very nice but just don't get it.

Reactions: EastCoastHusker
So you think a recruit is going to say "mom the view is beutiful, I want to go here"? And its jot like the beach is some famous beach in South Florida or Southern Cali.

I think yes, when they see that practice facility they might be ready to commit on the spot, then once they travel over to the stadium where they play actual games, recruits may take a step back

Reactions: donahues17
This an honest question...why would you dump that kind of $$$ into a practice facility and not put it into your actual football stadium that is in DESPERATE need of an upgrade/facelift? Do they plan on playing their games inside the new facility and calling it a domed stadium maybe?

Northwestern has a massive amount of wealth and access to resources, but only in recent years have they shown any inclination to support their Athletics Department at all.

I think they saw the success that their peers Duke and Stanford have had in Athletics and realized that having good Basketball and Football teams can raise the profile of the School with different groups of people, especially in the large, wealthy Chicago market and lead to increased fundraising. Their endowment is massive already though. Actually the Big Ten is loaded with well endowed schools, and I forgot that Michigan actually as a little more $$$ than NW. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_colleges_and_universities_in_the_United_States_by_endowment

Mich 10.9B, NW 10.4B, OSU 4.2B PSU 3.9B, Minnesota 3.6B Wisc. 2.7B

As far as that awful football stadium they play in, that is clearly the next problem they will address. The Lakefront facility is the best I have ever seen, and Lake Michigan and the beachfront is as good as it gets in the midwest. The basketball arena is being completely rebuilt from the inside out and they do not need more seats, it will be a good environment.

The AD Jim Phillips is brilliant and they will do something with the stadium. They may demo the whole thing and start over, or they may just destroy all but the more impressive west side and do something new everywhere else, sort of like TCU did. Some would like a new lakefront stadium, somewhat like the Baylor or Minnesota stadiums. Northwestern probably has the budget for whatever they want to do, the bigger issue is regulatory issues with the City of Evanston and the State of Illinois.

Last edited:
Reactions: Redwalla
Northwestern has a massive amount of wealth and access to resources, but only in recent years have they shown any inclination to support their Athletics Department at all.

I think they saw the success that their peers Duke and Stanford have had in Athletics and realized that having good Basketball and Football teams can raise the profile of the School with different groups of people, especially in the large, wealthy Chicago market and lead to increased fundraising. Their endowment is massive already though. Actually the Big Ten is loaded with well endowed schools, and I forgot that Michigan actually as a little more $$$ than NW. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_colleges_and_universities_in_the_United_States_by_endowment

Mich 10.9B, NW 10.4B, OSU 4.2B PSU 3.9B, Minnesota 3.6B Wisc. 2.7B

As far as that awful football stadium they play in, that is clearly the next problem they will address. The Lakefront facility is the best I have ever seen, and Lake Michigan and the beachfront is as good as it gets in the midwest. The basketball arena is being completely rebuilt from the inside out and they do not need more seats, it will be a good environment.

The AD Jim Phillips is brilliant and they will do something with the stadium. They may demo the whole thing and start over, or they may just destroy all but the more impressive west side and do something new everywhere else, sort of like TCU did. Some would like a new lakefront stadium, somewhat like the Baylor or Minnesota stadiums. Northwestern probably has the budget for whatever they want to do, the bigger issue is regulatory issues with the City of Evanston and the State of Illinois.

Wow Texas whorns at $27 Billion!

So you think a recruit is going to say "mom the view is beutiful, I want to go here"? And its jot like the beach is some famous beach in South Florida or Southern Cali.
The beaches along Lake Michigan and Chicago are among the worlds most famous, picturesque in urban settings. NW won’t be for everyone, but belittling the setting of the facility, Chicago skyline, and a clear water blue lake makes you sound ‘funny’

The beaches along Lake Michigan and Chicago are among the worlds most famous, picturesque in urban settings. NW won’t be for everyone, but belittling the setting of the facility, Chicago skyline, and a clear water blue lake makes you sound ‘funny’

Looks like a good place for indoor golf or tennis. That environment will soften up the football players, make them ease up and relax.

Pat Fitzgerald has had success against UW, Iowa and Nebraska. Northwestern lost their best two players and how strong will their QB rebound from torn ACL in 2018.

The outdoor stadium Northwestern plays at isn't outstanding. They have a great state of the art practice facility, which will be used for all sports, as well for intramural activities for all students, I believe I heard, in other forums?

Looks really nice, and I'm sure it will help their recruiting.

That being said, as someone who goes to our games in Evanston whenever I can (living just outside the Chicagoland area), I'd like to see them invest in the stadium next, or at least the field. The last game I was there, the field was in worse shape than my high school's field many moons ago.

https://sports.yahoo.com/move-clems...-unparalleled-college-football-220858185.html
985d91e110095691906cb53b4a5b6f66
07efa7480acf7ab0d9283579a82c7580
It's a cool practice facility for sure but is it going to get them any more recruits or win them any more games? I doubt it.

Looks really nice, and I'm sure it will help their recruiting.

That being said, as someone who goes to our games in Evanston whenever I can (living just outside the Chicagoland area), I'd like to see them invest in the stadium next, or at least the field. The last game I was there, the field was in worse shape than my high school's field many moons ago.

I get that but I think there is something about that location that works...
1. Start selling booze
2. Make deals with local bars
3. Local bars need to open early!!

We were sitting on top-tier facilities and battling to get in the top 25 recruiting so let's not count NW chickens, but it looks cool.

Was knee deep in Lake Michigan yesterday, it's beautiful when it's not frozen.

Last edited:
The amount of inferiority complex on this topic is comical. It’s a great looking facility, period.

Northwestern has won 3 of the last 4 in Lincoln. So even with our great home field advantage.......they still win here.

It's a fabulous facility for a place that is really achieving some fantastic football success given their dismal history.

Good for them. It is beautiful, no doubt. My question is will it help get better athletes since the academic qualifications to get into NW are so very high? Not a large pool of players to pick from. I would think out of that pool of players most would probably (not always) choose Stanford, & Notre Dame over NW just because of the tradition and their football is better. JMO

Also who are the people behind the scenes running it? Like the coaches, athletic staff, trainers, strength coaches. Those are the people that make it go. The facilities are just what enhances these peoples strengths. JMO

It will reward good student-athletes, and Northwestern appears to be doing well in recruiting good athletes, who are strong students. They aren't going to win or complete in recruiting ratings.

Question is can Pat Fitzgerald get to Indianapolis?

Only 5 Big Ten coaches have thus far, with Fitzgerald and Jim Harbaugh two prominent B1G coaches who have not gotten there.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT