ADVERTISEMENT

Northwestern gets Hilinski from South Carolina.

inWV

Offensive Coordinator
Sep 22, 2007
Looks like he started 11 games last year, then played very little in 2020. NW got a QB that can do what they need done.

I thought he did some good things as a true freshman..hate to see him going to northwestern. Not quite mobile enough for NU

Had Cale Millen not screwed the Cats on signing day two years Hilinski likely would have committed straight from high school.

It will be interesting to see if Hunter Johnson transfers or enters a QB competition with Ryan.

I could be wrong, but I would not be shocked that this will be the path that NW takes from now on to fill the QB role unless they land a T Lawrence type directly out of high school.

I could be wrong, but I would not be shocked that this will be the path that NW takes from now on to fill the QB role unless they land a T Lawrence type directly out of high school.

1) Hilinski has three years of eligibility left so he should be a longer term solution than Ramsey

2) It was supposed to be either Hilinski or Cale Millen replacing Thorson. Millen committed first so Hilinski moved onto South Carolina. Millen decommitted last minute and went to Oregon which left Northwestern hanging. A year later Fitz got Hunter Johnson from the portal. HJ struggled badly in 2019 and Fitz recruited Ramsey for 2020. Ramsey then graduates and now it’s Hilinski after all. Crazy how life works out.

If hlinkski couldn't beat out the guy who patrick O'Brien did beat out, then I'm not too worried

He has a 11 career touchdowns and a 59% career completion percentage. He will also be playing for a NW team that likely starts 4 new offensive linemen and 3 new receivers/ TEs in 2021. Kid won't have a lot of fun next season, but I think he will likely have a decent career in 22 and 23.

He has a 11 career touchdowns and a 59% career completion percentage. He will also be playing for a NW team that likely starts 4 new offensive linemen and 3 new receivers/ TEs in 2021. Kid won't have a lot of fun next season, but I think he will likely have a decent career in 22 and 23.

I think that's fair. I thought he did decently well for a freshman in 19.

despite these facts, they'll be either be favored or a very small underdog in Lincoln next year.

but, hey, as some have pointed out, our QB would be 'highly sought after' if he left (lol), and if every facet of our offense (running game, o-line, receivers) improves around him he might look better next year (lol).

despite these facts, they'll be either be favored or a very small underdog in Lincoln next year.

but, hey, as some have pointed out, our QB would be 'highly sought after' if he left (lol), and if every facet of our offense (running game, o-line, receivers) improves around him he might look better next year (lol).

I think Northwestern loses 7 or 8 games in the Big Ten next season.

only 1 matters - the game Oct 9th in Lincoln

pretty good chance our AM-led Huskers are 2-3 or 1-4 limping into that one

illinois - tossup
buffalo - tossup
@ou - loss by 40+
@msu - tossup (frost is 0-2 vs tucker)
osu - loss by 40+

Illinois has a brand new offense, and 15 new starters in week one.

Nebraska will beat Buffalo by 5 touchdowns.

MSU is terrible.

Nebraska will easily have 3 wins in those first 5.

Last edited by a moderator:
You're an idiot.

Illinois has a brand new offense, and 15 new starters in week one.

Nebraska will beat Buffalo by 5 touchdowns.

MSU is terrible.

Nebraska will easily have 3 wins in those first 5.
those 'easy wins' will have to come against teams that are evenly matched with our merry band of on-paper bullies.

we don't have easy wins anymore, in case your head's been somewhere warm, dark and stinky for the last 4 years.

those 'easy wins' will have to come against teams that are evenly matched with our merry band of on-paper bullies.

we don't have easy wins anymore, in case your head's been somewhere warm, dark and stinky for the last 4 years.

The fact you think a MAC team, which is losing 12 starters, is evenly matched with Nebraska illustrates why nobody should even read your drivel on this message board.

• Haha
Reactions: bigredhunter
The fact you think a MAC team, which is losing 12 starters, is evenly matched with Nebraska illustrates why nobody should even read your drivel on this message board.
guess we'll see what others think

I think we're pretty evenly matched with Buffalo for several obvious reasons:
1. they have more NFL talent than we do (easy when we have 1-2 guys of that caliber, tops)
2. their coach is at least even with ours, likely much better
3. we never live up to the hype, even when that hype is easily winning a non-conf game at home vs a MAC opponent

I have zero clue why anyone would feel confident in NU beating anyone these days

guess we'll see what others think

I think we're pretty evenly matched with Buffalo for several obvious reasons:
1. they have more NFL talent than we do (easy when we have 1-2 guys of that caliber, tops)
2. their coach is at least even with ours, likely much better
3. we never live up to the hype, even when that hype is easily winning a non-conf game at home vs a MAC opponent

I have zero clue why anyone would feel confident in NU beating anyone these days

3. In 2019, Nebraska literally blew out the reigning MAC Champs - Northern Illinois. And that has nothing to do with hype.

2. Won the MAC twice - Frost won the AAC once.

1. The only true NFL caliber players on their roster, RB Patterson and WR Nunn, have already declared for the NFL. They are also losing the rest of these starters:

Tyree Thompson, WR,
Eddie Zinn-Turner, DT
Zac Lefebvre, TE, Transferring Out
Roy Baker, CB, Transferring Out
Jack Klenk, OL, Moving On
Jake Fuzak, OL, Moving On
Kayode Awosika, OL,
Malcolm Koonce, DE,

I will literally bet you $1,000 that Nebraska beats Buffalo next season.

And Nebraska will beat them even if the Huskers are a 4 win team.

Reactions: WHCSC
3. In 2019, Nebraska literally blew out the reigning MAC Champs - Northern Illinois. And that has nothing to do with hype.

2. Won the MAC twice - Frost won the AAC once.

1. The only true NFL caliber players on their roster, RB Patterson and WR Nunn, have already declared for the NFL. They are also losing the rest of these starters:

Tyree Thompson, WR,
Eddie Zinn-Turner, DT
Zac Lefebvre, TE, Transferring Out
Roy Baker, CB, Transferring Out
Jack Klenk, OL, Moving On
Jake Fuzak, OL, Moving On
Kayode Awosika, OL,
Malcolm Koonce, DE,

I will literally bet you $1,000 that Nebraska beats Buffalo next season.

And Nebraska will beat them even if the Huskers are a 4 win team.
bet goes from NU -35 to ML in a matter of 2 posts

oh, what confidence!

I obviously hope we win big. I am not, however, chalking it up as an 'easy win' by any means. and that has a lot more to do with us than them.

@WHCSC posted a good article about them in the poll thread. of particular note is their D-Line.

bet goes from NU -35 to ML in a matter of 2 posts

oh, what confidence!

I obviously hope we win big. I am not, however, chalking it up as an 'easy win' by any means. and that has a lot more to do with us than them.

Five touchdowns is more a figure of speech representing a blowout. Nebraska will "blow out Buffalo in 2021."

Reactions: John_J_Rambo
Five touchdowns is more a figure of speech representing a blowout. Nebraska will "blow out Buffalo in 2021."
as of right now, there are more who think we'll lose outright than win in a blowout.

I voted for win by 1-6 points. but, then again, my posts are drivel and not worth reading ;)

There is nothing rational about this message board. The poll is meaningless.
perhaps the poll's use to you could be identifying which posters, in addition to myself, shouldn't have their drivel read on this irrational message board?

hilarious

The rich get richer. It’s mind boggling how it seems only Nebraska has zero QB’s able to actually be a QB.

The rich get richer. It’s mind boggling how it seems only Nebraska has zero QB’s able to actually be a QB.

The rich get richer?

Dr.-Steve-Brule-Confused-Cross-Eyed-Gif.gif

Northwestern signs a kid with 11 career TD passes in two seasons who's transferring after getting beaten out by a Colorado State transfer.... and the "rich get richer?"

The rich get richer?

Dr.-Steve-Brule-Confused-Cross-Eyed-Gif.gif

Northwestern signs a kid with 11 career TD passes in two seasons who's transferring after getting beaten out by a Colorado State transfer.... and the "rich get richer?"
I’m guessing you’re new and didn’t see Nebraska play in 2020.
Our “QB of the future” threw for 1 TD and 6 INT’s.
Our veteran QB coming into his third year had a nearly 1 to 1 TD/INT ratio and the worst statistics of any QB on throws of 20 yards or more.

Northwestern is bringing in a QB that threw for more than twice as many yards and a 2 to 1 TD/INT ratio.

Reactions: John_J_Rambo
I’m guessing you’re new and didn’t see Nebraska play in 2020.
Our “QB of the future” threw for 1 TD and 6 INT’s.
Our veteran QB coming into his third year had a nearly 1 to 1 TD/INT ratio and the worst statistics of any QB on throws of 20 yards or more.

Northwestern is bringing in a QB that threw for more than twice as many yards and a 2 to 1 TD/INT ratio.

My ability to mock your idiotic characterization of Northwestern "being rich and getting richer" really has nothing to do with Nebraska football. But since you want to go there, let's do it:

McCaffery isn't the QB of the future. Its arguable that he will even be a QB anywhere in the future.
Martinez threw 3 Interceptions in 151 passing attempts. Over the course of a full season, that pace would be among the lowest totals for any Power 5 starter with 300+ passing attempts.

And when your second leading receiver is a 6'8 tight end with 4.8 speed you're going to struggle to break out the vertical passing game.
When your 3rd leading receiver is a walk on transfer from a terrible FCS school, you're not gonna exactly go air Correyel on everyone.
When your 4th leading receiver is a 230 lb running back who is only healthy enough to make 3 starts, you're probably gonna struggle with some house calls.
When your most talented receiver is a true freshman without a normal Spring Practice, a convoluted Fall camp and struggles with some of the mental parts of the game, you're going to have major problems extending the field.

When a walk on transfer receiver, at his 3rd school in 15 months suddenly becomes eligible and is immediately inserted into your starting lineup, well then.. few things are more telling about the state of your receiving corp.

Now.. Frost has made his bed with this shit. He and his offensive staff absolutely blew it with that 2019 class. They should've been in on 4 or 5 instant impact receivers. Instead, they signed dudes who will never play a snap in the Big Ten.

Nebraska desperately needs Stepp to stay healthy and bring stability to the running game.

They need Betts to take a significant leap in year two with the playbook.
Toure needs to be an immediate vertical threat. I'm actually confident about this one.
THey need Alante Brown to adapt quicker to D1 football.
They need Oliver Martin to build some chemistry with Adrian Martinez because he can also provide a vertical threat.
They need Nixon to come back healthy because he's actually a lot more mentally prepared to play than Alante Brown.
Fidone need to step in and become a viable weapon immediately. That doesn't mean he needs to be a star. But he needs to come in and be an instant matchup problem.
One of the three receivers out of Grimes, Hardy, or Neville needs to be in the mix early.
Falck needs to be a solid back up option. He's ok as a #2 player at his position. He doesn't burn you there. When he's forced to be your #2 receiver, then you're in big trouble.

Oh.. and it would be cool if Omar Manning didn't flake out. Not sure that one will matter though.

Lastly, there is a significant reason why Nebraska's vertical passing game was a threat with Stan Morgan, Spielman, and Mo Washington. All those dudes kept opposing DCs up at night.

To make a very, very, very long story short:

Nebraska doesn't need another QB. They need a lot more weapons on the perimeter. They need stability at RB.

To make a very, very, very long story short:

Nebraska doesn't need another QB. They need a lot more weapons on the perimeter. They need stability at RB.
The easy and correct conclusion to come to, and Corn of course makes it plus some thoughtful analysis on the state of the receiver room. We have so many receivers, it's hard for me to keep all of the names straight (and what the hell happened to Kade W?). People keep harping on WRs and bitching about AMart. For those who haven't been watching, the B1G features salty Ds. Even the shitty Ds can bow up for a few league games. And it's not like opposing league defenses are going to magically get soft next year. If you can't run the ball, be prepared to be behind in down/distance and get lit up on third down.
I don't know the particulars of Mills' injury status, but to my eyes, the offense had some life to it when Mills was healthy and could run. When he wasn't, it was the QB, Scott and WanRob. If NU gets production out of its RBs, the pressure to generate rushing yards is off AMart and he can pick and choose his spots. And if the run game is on, we have enough WRs that a few of them should be able to produce in the pass game.
NU needs Stepp to get/remain healthy and get a waiver to play, and hope that at least one of the other backs ups his game by next season. Nebraska is a running football team in a league where winning is generally dependent on being able to run. Good rushing=good offense=winning record.

Reactions: timnsun
ADVERTISEMENT