ADVERTISEMENT

Northwestern - 12-16 and missing seven games to COVID

k9_r

Offensive Coordinator
Jul 31, 2010
Anybody got a clue? I don't. They haven't played for two weeks and I have no idea how that little fact is going to bend. Really, no one does but that's what we have to deal with and I certainly think it will factor in. Will they be rusty and out of sorts or will they be chomping at the bit and roaring to go?

I could argue both ways but in the end I want to think rust is a bigger deal than emotion. And I also want to think that they won't be able to avoid being rusty. Could we if we were off for two weeks?

Maybe I just talked myself into the rust side of this.

What I do know is that prior to their CO-vation they were on the skids - lost eight of nine, losing the last five games on that stretch. Games v Rutgers, Indiana, Maryland and Iowa. Prior to that mess they were 11-8 and do have wins over Indiana, Michigan, Rutgers and Illinois. Games with Penn St, Minnesota and MSU fills out their schedule.

Another thing I know is to say they have pop is to say cracking a nut with a rotten tooth hurts. Major understatements. They are seven games behind everyone else and leading the conference in home runs by a ton. We have 41 and 2nd best Michigan has 48. Northwestern has 54. So that's a lot of home runs. Weirdly, they are well behind the leaders in doubles and triples. I guess everything goes over the fence.

They are 4th in batting average (.270) just a tick behind us.

Here's a thing about their pitching, 9th in ERA (5.47), 11th in walks given and 12th in SO (walks and Ks adjusted for the missing games). They're also 10th in hits allowed (.284). They are respectable in the wild pitch and HBP departments with adjusted averages not far below the leaders with the fewest such.

Northwestern is dead last in fielding % committing 1.75 errors a game.

You know what, after writing all this I say - let them have their home runs and then kick butt everywhere else. Let's win three.

Last edited:
A lot of their home runs are due to the dimensions of their home field. Otherwise they’d have a lot more fly outs. 290’ to left, 376’ to center, and 309’ to right. They won’t have that luxury at Hawks Field.

Reactions: saluno22
Let’s just hope the baseball team does better in a should-win scenario against a team coming off a COVID pause than a certain team that plays its games across I-180 from Haymaket Park.

Reactions: RobsterMobster
Not sure we're playing 3 games as NW doesn't know how many pitchers they'll have available. If true, opinion only, but tough luck and they should forfeit any game they're not able to field a team.

Reactions: sklarbodds
Not sure we're playing 3 games as NW doesn't know how many pitchers they'll have available. If true, opinion only, but tough luck and they should forfeit any game they're not able to field a team.
Yep, that's on them.

Does The Big Ten still have that stupid 21 day Covid sit out rule? Excluding Ohio State Football

Does The Big Ten still have that stupid 21 day Covid sit out rule? Excluding Ohio State Football
As far as I know - yes. Isn't that why NW lost two weekends and Minnesota is now losing two?

And, yes, it's incredibly stupid.

As far as I know - yes. Isn't that why NW lost two weekends and Minnesota is now losing two?

And, yes, it's incredibly stupid.

Math doesn't add up. Northwestern, at maximum as of today, would be at 17 days (I think they're at 16 though). So if it's 21 days, they would be cleared Monday May 17.

With that said, I believe baseball is 14 days. We had some guys sit out the first 2 weekends and I had heard back then it was a required 14 days to sit out.

Curious about a cancelled game though. Anyone know for certain?

Math doesn't add up. Northwestern, at maximum as of today, would be at 17 days (I think they're at 16 though). So if it's 21 days, they would be cleared Monday May 17.

With that said, I believe baseball is 14 days. We had some guys sit out the first 2 weekends and I had heard back then it was a required 14 days to sit out.

Curious about a cancelled game though. Anyone know for certain?
Yeah, 14 makes more sense and fits the calendar. Haven't heard about a cancellation. Sure hope not.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT