ADVERTISEMENT

Northern Illinois beat Iowa and Northwestern in 2014 and 2013...

Hoosker Du

Nebraska Football Hall of Fame
Dec 11, 2001
And lost to Iowa 18-17 in Chicago in 2012. They also lost to Ohio State 20-13 in 2015. Sure, it's still Northern Illinois, but I think we can agree that they definitely have some talent on their team. It doesn't excuse losing to them, but it gives us a little history and perspective. We weren't on our game today, and they took it to us.

Here are recent results of games vs B1G teams..

2015 - @Ohio State - L 20-13
2014 - @Northwestern - W 23-15
2013 - @ Iowa - W 30-27
2012 - Iowa - L 18-17
2011 - Wisconsin - L 49-7
2010 - @Illinois - L 28-22
2010 - @Minnesota - W 34-23
2009 - @Wisconsin - L 28-20
2009 - @Purdue - W 28-21

I feel better now.
Good for the team in hanging in there with these guys til the end. Kudos to Riley and co, no one else coulda done it.
I have a thread I'm going to start and wish I had started it sooner. Your lame post was one of my predictions...

I feel better now.
Good for the team in hanging in there with these guys til the end. Kudos to Riley and co, no one else coulda done it.
I have a thread I'm going to start and wish I had started it sooner. Your lame post was one of my predictions...

I guess if you don't understand that they've put some good teams on the field recently, then I guess you can just keep on whining about shit until your cry yourself to sleep.

I guess if you don't understand that they've put some good teams on the field recently, then I guess you can just keep on whining about shit until your cry yourself to sleep.
You're so damn tough.
Did you also include that NIU had a losing record last season? Lost to Wyoming? Boston college this year.... Was playing a backup QB?
Btw you sound rather butt hurt. Calm down.

Reactions: millah_22
You're so damn tough.
Did you also include that NIU had a losing record last season? Lost to Wyoming? Boston college this year.... Was playing a backup QB?
Btw you sound rather butt hurt. Calm down.

Never said anything about being tough. But I'm not being a whiny female either. The point remains that other B1G teams weren't ready to play them either, and ended up on the losing side too. They do have speed and talent on both sides of the ball, and have a pretty decent recent history, including playing Florida State in a BCS Bowl recently.

Reactions: dinglefritz
Never said anything about being tough. But I'm not being a whiny female either. The point remains that other B1G teams weren't ready to play them either, and ended up on the losing side too. They do have speed and talent on both sides of the ball, and have a pretty decent recent history, including playing Florida State in a BCS Bowl recently.
Yeah, I feel much better about today, thanks.

I posted earlier this week that NIU has been to a BCS game in the last 5 years; we have not. Does not matter. That was a not-good NIU team that found a way to win a game that we should never lose. Ever. Under any circumstances. For any reason.

Reactions: yunginsNU2
Du, I really hope that you're just trolling. There should be no rationalizing or minimizing this loss. NIU is awful and should never be competitive with Nebraska on a football field in Lincoln.

The Orange Bowl game vs. FSU was 5 years ago. This NIU is nowhere near as good. NIU lost to Western Illinois and Wyoming last year. They lost to BC this year. The same BC team that lost embarrassingly by 24 points to Wake Forest at home last week. Not to mention their starting QB was out today. But what ever, keep cranking out the sunshine. This wasn't a bad loss at all. Winning against pathetic Rutgers next week should breed new optimism in fan base.

Du, I really hope that you're just trolling. There should be no rationalizing or minimizing this loss. NIU is awful and should never be competitive with Nebraska on a football field in Lincoln.
I don't think he's doing either. The point is that NIU has done this in the past. Every team has some talent now and they didn't make the fatal mistakes that we did. You can't turn the ball over that much and expect to beat anybody. We're not that good....yet.

Reactions: 9and4
Cheer up. It's only football. You could have been diagnosed last week with Lymphoma. Or maybe a few months ago with early onset Alzheimer's. Life is short.
You're on a husker message board.
Please remember that you're in a husker message board.

I don't think he's doing either. The point is that NIU has done this in the past. Every team has some talent now and they didn't make the fatal mistakes that we did. You can't turn the ball over that much and expect to beat anybody. We're not that good....yet.

Yeah, I get it. This team sucks. That's the problem. Nebraska should never be down far enough to actually lose to NIU at home. It's inexcusable no matter what.

Cheer up. It's only football. You could have been diagnosed last week with Lymphoma. Or maybe a few months ago with early onset Alzheimer's. Life is short.

Agreed. Which is why I would encourage people to stay home on Saturdays and do some community service. Donate the money you would have spent to watch crappy football to a charity. Why these coaches are being paid millions for a meaningless activity is beyond me - we should be a national leader and start the transition to all club sports.

They are a team that has a history of not being afraid to come into a big stadium and play with an aggressive game plan. They had nothing to lose today, and played that way. They played fast and were aggressive constantly with their front 7. If you have a shitty OLine coach that doesn't prepare his players to be successful like Cavanaugh you're going to be in a dogfight with this team.

Forget the debate about the quality of NIU. I can accept that they have some talent and if you let them they can beat you.

But I think what is most upsetting to people is that in year three it looks like we are taking giant steps backward. THAT was NOT a well coached team I saw yesterday. What many also saw was a "soft" team that looks like it wants to play patty-cake sissy football. DiNardo said last year after watching us practice that NU looked like a PAC 12 team. And it wasn't a compliment. Looks like he was right. With the talent we have on the offensive line there is no excuse for how poorly they play. Riley hired Cav. Yet another of his OSU posse that should never have been brought here. Coach Cav makes Barney Cotton look like Milt Tenopir.

And I am not giving the defense a pass either. After two horrible games they played well against NIU (a team with a very average offense) UNTIL it actually mattered and then they let NIU score. How does that happen?? I am sooooo freaking sick and tired of NU fielding a defense that can't get the critical stop when they needed to. Now, I know anyone can complete the occasional 47 yard bomb. But that doesn't excuse our defense for letting them then score a TD from the 28 rather than holding them to a field goal. You know what I call that? Choking under pressure. Sick of this crap. Clean house.

And I have been a huge Riley supporter. I was very bullish on this season precisely because I thought Riley was a good coach. Therefore, I really expected that in year three, with the "Bo cancer" gone, a true pro style QB in place, and more player buy-in and knowledge of Riley's system, that we would field a quality team.

So, to quote coach Riley from his presser yesterday: "I was wrong".

Last edited:
They didn't beat us though. We clearly had more talent but we beat ourselves like we always seem to do
Exactly. But that only highlights how poorly coached our guys are.

Yet another example... what the hell happened to DPE as a punt returner? We all know the talent and instincts are there. And his knee is healed. So I can only conclude that whoever is coaching him sucks. Even if it is a lingering mental issue with him... fear of reinjury or whatever... then you need to put someone else back there. Two weeks in a row his return decisions have cost us tons of yards in field position.

They are a team that has a history of not being afraid to come into a big stadium and play with an aggressive game plan. They had nothing to lose today, and played that way. They played fast and were aggressive constantly with their front 7. If you have a shitty OLine coach that doesn't prepare his players to be successful like Cavanaugh you're going to be in a dogfight with this team.

Yea Du, with all due respect, I am going to go with we also have a shitty HC. Mike had his chances to hire his staff when he came here. So, the shi##y OL coach is on him anyway. I was right last week. Time to pull the plug on this sh!^show.

This NIU team has some speed but they're not nearly the program they were a few years ago. This loss was brutal. Our offensive play was brutal. Last week I thought we'd match up well with most of the Big 10, now I'm afraid this season could spiral into a disaster! I just can't see any quick fix for our OL problems. I'd love to see Boyd provide strength and conditioning progress reports for the OL. Is this team close to where he wants us to be in that dept? Could care less what they squat. I want to see progress with speed and agility. Maybe they've been working out with Cav too much?

Exactly. But that only highlights how poorly coached our guys are.

Yet another example... what the hell happened to DPE as a punt returner? We all know the talent and instincts are there. And his knee is healed. So I can only conclude that whoever is coaching him sucks. Even if it is a lingering mental issue with him... fear of reinjury or whatever... then you need to put someone else back there. Two weeks in a row his return decisions have cost us tons of yards in field position.
DPE's knee is healed but his mind isn't. You have to be fearless back there and it appears obvious that there are some chinks in his armor right now. He's older, smarter and more careful now. Good for self preservation. I don't know if we have anybody else who can catch it and be any better back there or not. Mazour would be an obvious possibility but now we know he injured a quad before we started the season.

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
DPE's knee is healed but his mind isn't. You have to be fearless back there and it appears obvious that there are some chinks in his armor right now. He's older, smarter and more careful now. Good for self preservation. I don't know if we have anybody else who can catch it and be any better back there or not. Mazour would be an obvious possibility but now we know he injured a quad before we started the season.

I doubt we will ever see Mazour on the playing field. That's just based off of what happened to him last season.

When is the last time we lost at home to a team like this ? Ever ?

Yea Du, with all due respect, I am going to go with we also have a shitty HC. Mike had his chances to hire his staff when he came here. So, the shi##y OL coach is on him anyway. I was right last week. Time to pull the plug on this sh!^show.

Yep, I'm afraid we are at the end of the line for Mike and Eichorst. Would have liked to see them do well here, but you can't lose to NIU and expect to survive.

Even if they have gone .500 against the B1G over the last 10 games, Nebraska shouldn't be losing to them. Just wanted to illustrate that they aren't a terrible team and do have some decent talent.

Reactions: HuskerDana
Pathetic. We're now justifying a loss to Northern Illinois. Nebraska fans can be compared to the frog in a boiling pot. We won't jump out until it's too late.

Pathetic. We're now justifying a loss to Northern Illinois. Nebraska fans can be compared to the frog in a boiling pot. We won't jump out until it's too late.

Pay attention.. No one is justifying anything. Just saying that they aren't the typical cupcake OOC team. They have gone 5-5 in the last 10 games against the B1G. Some cupcakes have never beaten a Power 5 team, let alone go .500 against a P5 conference.

Reactions: AFTray
When is the last time we lost at home to a team like this ? Ever ?
Tom trailed Wyoming by TWO TDs late in a game back in the day with Frazier and Berringer as I recall. Somehow we miraculously came back and won that game. Riley doesn't have Frazier, Berriinger or the"pipeline".

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT