ADVERTISEMENT

northern ILL

RedSea

Recruiting Coordinator
Jun 18, 2001
I see that they had an easy win over Eastern ILL, and had a close loss to Boston College from ACC. Don't want to overlook them given the close game w/ BC (although BC isn't going to be a force in their division). Should be a worthy opponent to help us get better if we take them seriously.

I'm hearing they will be without their top QB and WR according to another poster.

NIU is going to score points. Hopefully we can score more. I think we're going to drop one of these next three then win against Wisconsin.

I imagine we'll be seeing bubble screens all year. The last time we defended them well was about 1999.

Against BC, they weren't good offensively. Against Eastern Illinois they were better. I would hope we see more cover 1 and challenging Northern Illinois receivers to beat us, rather than 2 deep 4 under with 10 yard cushion. I have to believe we have better athletes than BC and they were able to pressure the N. Ill receivers.

Reactions: Herkmeister
The only person in the United States that doesn't think Graham is terrible (besides Graham himself) is our coach, Rod Carey. We're better off with Santacaterina at QB (who played against Eastern Illinois), even though he's inexperienced. Carey also likes to play other RBs instead of Jordan Huff, who has averaged about 7 ypc over his career (only about 200+ carries so far). It's mind-boggling. Yea he wouldn't get 7 ypc against Nebraska but the other RBs would get even less.

Reactions: studed and cubsker
The only person in the United States that doesn't think Graham is terrible (besides Graham himself) is our coach, Rod Carey. We're better off with Santacaterina at QB (who played against Eastern Illinois), even though he's inexperienced. Carey also likes to play other RBs instead of Jordan Huff, who has averaged about 7 ypc over his career (only about 200+ carries so far). It's mind-boggling. Yea he wouldn't get 7 ypc against Nebraska but the other RBs would get even less.

So who are they saying will be at QB this week? Is Graham available or still on the shelf?

Brothers and Sisters, I believe we play like we did in the last 2 qtrs.Lots of good plays, a few head shakers, and a salty defense.N Illinois is the olive in my bloody mary.On a side note, I scored parking east side of stadium lot 10 and 4 tics in row A behind the Husker bench for me and the (now over 21) kids.We are staying in downtown Lincoln Friday night.What watering hole should I take them to for the best night before Husker experience, Sorry for hijacking the topic.GBR

So who are they saying will be at QB this week? Is Graham available or still on the shelf?

Graham is supposed to be out 2-4 weeks so pretty sure he is not available. Daniel Santacaterina will be the QB, he played against Eastern Illinois also. Santacaterina played in a couple games last year after injury to other QBs, didn't pass very well overall but showed flashes and improved from the first game to the second. So he's still inexperienced but I'd rather have him play than Graham. The backup is Childers, a redshirt freshman who appears to be athletically talented.

The NIU QB threw for 253 against Eastern Illinois. If he lights up Nebraska for more than that... welp.

NIU historically isn't known for defense but it is the best they've played on that side of the ball in recent history.

Would be nice for the Huskers to still score 40 and see if the D can hold them to 17 or fewer.

Against BC, they weren't good offensively. Against Eastern Illinois they were better. I would hope we see more cover 1 and challenging Northern Illinois receivers to beat us, rather than 2 deep 4 under with 10 yard cushion. I have to believe we have better athletes than BC and they were able to pressure the N. Ill receivers.

Do we have to play cover 1 to match up correctly with their personnel?

Im sure we CAN run it, not sure of we HAVE to run it.

Dear Lord, no we don't have to run it. But I do not stress their athletes on the outside like I did Oregon and to a lesser extent Ark St. Ark St had a few taller receivers that would have been tough matchups. Oregon was more speed.

We need to be more aggressive.

Dear Lord, no we don't have to run it. But I do not stress their athletes on the outside like I did Oregon and to a lesser extent Ark St. Ark St had a few taller receivers that would have been tough matchups. Oregon was more speed.

We need to be more aggressive.

Well yeah most said that after the 1st series against Ark St.

So what you're saying is, Nebraska better party, er, play like it's 1999?

The last great Husker team!

THIS is as good as it gets. It's perfect.

Honestly, when the term Black Shirts is used today it makes me kind of sad. These kids do not deserve to use the term. They are not real Black Shirts.

Thanks for sharing this Bugeater. The Heisman Pose of the capital Indian gives me the chills.

I so hope you guys can dump Mediocre Mike and get it back together like Penn State has. Good luck.

Blackshirts was a term given to the starters on defense. It wasn't meant to reflect "really good defenses" - as a matter of fact, I'd say some of our defenses in the 80s weren't 90s good either.

Of course, we all love those dominant defenses and hope we can get back there, but I don't think there's any value in making these starters feel ashamed or unworthy of being called a blackshirt.

ADVERTISEMENT