ADVERTISEMENT

Northeastern

k9_r

Offensive Coordinator
Jul 31, 2010
A research university in downtown Boston. Not skeered. I know a guy who knows a guy who once knew Will Hunting. NP.

Keane was an 11th round pick in the 2019 MLB draft out of high school.

Context: Their ace, Schlittler threw last Thursday (100+) & they brought him back Sunday to start the title game with 40some pitches. He didn't last long, so it's a safe guess he's not ready to throw Friday.

Last edited:
The Schlittler kid is a freshman, btw, 8-0 in 12 starts and very good numbers. Not facing him though unless we meet him in the losers bracket.
Keane is also a freshman, in fact their roster is loaded with freshmen. They have just one senior and two juniors in their regular lineup.

Looks like Keane is their Sunday guy, 6-1, 3.93 ERA, opponents hitting .242 on him, 19 walks, 69 Ks in 66.1 innings.

Northeastern has a better team batting average and ERA than both Arkansas and us. But I don't really know what to make of this team because of that schedule... not good. The best team they played, by far, is Old Dominion who is a 1 seed in Columbia. Northeastern did win one game in that series and Keane was the starter, gave up all five runs in a 6-5 win. A reliever got the win.

They played exactly four games against a winning record - those three with ODU and a midweek game with Bryant. That's it for the regular season. They went 4-1 in their tournament and those were against winning records.

I still think we are making a mistake starting Povich. We are getting a gift and not taking advantage of it.

I like sticking with the regular rotation. If only for matchups.

Northeastern plays small ball and loves to steal bases. Povich is easily the best on the staff at holding runners on base and even picks them off regularly.

Arkansas plays Earl Weaver-style ball. The Razorbacks thrive on getting a runner or two on base and bringing them around with a dinger. Hroch is a sinker-baller who gets lots of groundouts. He’ll probably need to be as sharp as he was in his complete game against Indiana to give his team a chance. But so would Povich.

A research university in downtown Boston. Not skeered. I know a guy who knows a guy who once knew Will Hunting. NP.

If we were under Erstad we'd be Skeered. Still can't believe how bad we were in post-season play under Erstad (2-8 in 4 trips to regionals, never making it to a Super). Included were losses to UConn, Holy Cross, Western Carolina, and Yale. Praise be Bolt.

Under Erstad :)eek:) in Regionals
  • Binghamton (1-0)
  • Uconn (1-1)
  • Holy Cross (0-1)
  • Western Carolina (0-1)
  • Yale (0-1)
  • Cal State Fullerton (0-2)
  • OK State (0-2)

If we were under Erstad we'd be Skeered. Still can't believe how bad we were in post-season play under Erstad (2-8 in 4 trips to regionals, never making it to a Super). Included were losses to UConn, Holy Cross, Western Carolina, and Yale. Praise be Bolt.

Under Erstad :)eek:) in Regionals
  • Binghamton (1-0)
  • Uconn (1-1)
  • Holy Cross (0-1)
  • Western Carolina (0-1)
  • Yale (0-1)
  • Cal State Fullerton (0-2)
  • OK State (0-2)
That Binghamton win took us to 41-20 on the year. Helluva record but of course our season ended 41-21 when we lost the next game to Fullerton.

Reactions: lmatyja
I understand baseball and anybody can beat anybody in any given day. A great outing by an average pitcher can wreck your season. You can play percentages all ya want but just do what you have been doing this entire year.

Northeastern played a garbage schedule and won the championship game 11-10 in 10 innings against a team that is 32-22. They may be a good team and the B1G may be a weak conference as far as power 5 teams but I would be hard pressed to think Northeastern will win this game. But ya never know. Cant wait fir tomorrow

Reactions: sklarbodds
I understand baseball and anybody can beat anybody in any given day. A great outing by an average pitcher can wreck your season. You can play percentages all ya want but just do what you have been doing this entire year.

Northeastern played a garbage schedule and won the championship game 11-10 in 10 innings against a team that is 32-22. They may be a good team and the B1G may be a weak conference as far as power 5 teams but I would be hard pressed to think Northeastern will win this game. But ya never know. Cant wait for tomorrow
You never know but one thing we all know is that this 2021 version of Husker baseball is an actual good baseball team. We all see the skill, we've all seen the mindset. We've seen the tough wins, the coaching and development. What a pleasure it's been to watch these guys play. Good ball team playing good baseball.

I'm a happy Husker. We win tomorrow.

You never know but one thing we all know is that this 2021 version of Husker baseball is an actual good baseball team. We all see the skill, we've all seen the mindset. We've seen the tough wins, the coaching and development. What a pleasure it's been to watch these guys play. Good ball team playing good baseball.

I'm a happy Husker. We win tomorrow.

I agree. So many games before Bolt arriced that if we were down even a couple runs after the 6th inning, we werent going to win and you could safely turn off the game and go mow the yard. This year is much much different. I love this style of no quit attitude.

Losing to Holy Cross and Yale under Erstad was very disappointing, but I would prefer to save Povich for Arkansas for tomorrow game and I would think Hroch would have good enough stuff to win the first game against Northeastern.

Reactions: TampaBaySkers
I am hoping they pitch Schwellebach at the start against Arkansas. It would throw Arkansas off and I think bring a big spark to this team.

If we can beat Northeastern with limited bullpen action you know it will be an all hands on deck approach for Arkansas. Need to get to 2-0 to have any chance at winning this regional. I did see Arkansas is changing up their rotation so we are guaranteed to face a lefty if we get past Northeastern. Could be a veteran coach move vs. a rookie coach mindset to stick with the same thing? I guess we will see where we are at on Sunday.

I go back and forth on what the best move is and would love to see Povich against Arky. At the same time, Hroch and his ability to get a ton of groundballs may be built well for an Arky style of team. At the end of the day I just badly want to see Nebraska Baseball get back to Supers and an occasional CWS here and there.

GBR and excited for tonight's game. Just have to decide what to grill up beforehand!

If we can beat Northeastern with limited bullpen action you know it will be an all hands on deck approach for Arkansas. Need to get to 2-0 to have any chance at winning this regional. I did see Arkansas is changing up their rotation so we are guaranteed to face a lefty if we get past Northeastern. Could be a veteran coach move vs. a rookie coach mindset to stick with the same thing? I guess we will see where we are at on Sunday.

I go back and forth on what the best move is and would love to see Povich against Arky. At the same time, Hroch and his ability to get a ton of groundballs may be built well for an Arky style of team. At the end of the day I just badly want to see Nebraska Baseball get back to Supers and an occasional CWS here and there.

GBR and excited for tonight's game. Just have to decide what to grill up beforehand!
bill murray GIF

do we think Hroch can beat NJIT to get us to the regional championship game?

bases loaded, no one out for NJIT after another Hog error on a sac bunt.

do we think Hroch can beat NJIT to get us to the regional championship game?

Is this a serious question? Or did you just start following baseball? I mean you do have Cubs in your name so baseball isnt a strong subject for ya lol. Just kiddin with ya.

But in all seriousness what makes you think we wouldnt think we could beat them? Baseball is a daily sport where all it takes is for 1 person (your pitcher) to have the game of his life to win the game. With it only being 2-0 I have 150% confidence that Arky will win this game.

Reactions: k9_r
arky fans mad that the umpire didn't call a pitch a foot inside a strike. Ball 4, 3-0 NJIT.

Is this a serious question? Or did you just start following baseball? I mean you do have Cubs in your name so baseball isnt a strong subject for ya lol. Just kiddin with ya.

But in all seriousness what makes you think we wouldnt think we could beat them? Baseball is a daily sport where all it takes is for 1 person (your pitcher) to have the game of his life to win the game. With it only being 2-0 I have 150% confidence that Arky will win this game.

dude......

I do like that VanHorne doesn’t waste much time with a pitcher struggling. This game could be much worse right now if he wasn’t on the ball with that bullpen.

3-0 after 2.5 Should have been more if NJIT could put the ball in play.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT