ADVERTISEMENT

non-qualifiers 2021/2022

Nebraska Fan

Graduate Assistant
Sep 1, 2004
with so many schools closed and not sure when they will be operating do you suppose there will be some sort of waiver for students who fail to qualify under current standards?

No. Juniors have a full year to make up for one 9 week quarter and should have already have taken the ACT. As for seniors, they should have already have taken the ACT and again, will miss 9 weeks of direct instruction, not instruction, just direct instruction. Most seniors aren't taking difficult classes at this stage anyway - there are always exceptions.

No. Juniors have a full year to make up for one 9 week quarter and should have already have taken the ACT. As for seniors, they should have already have taken the ACT and again, will miss 9 weeks of direct instruction, not instruction, just direct instruction. Most seniors aren't taking difficult classes at this stage anyway - there are always exceptions.

You greatly underestimate the volume of athletes who are finishing core classes and trying to up GPA’s and improve test scores.

You greatly underestimate the volume of athletes who are finishing core classes and trying to up GPA’s and improve test scores.

No I do not. When are core classes taken? Not many in the senior year. For seniors, there are a total of 16 quarters of school and there is only one quarter left. At the very least, most of these classes will be delivered on-line, some are packet based but the teachers in all of them are going to adjust for the changes but again, this is ONE quarter. In our area, the students can Zoom or Skype if they have a question and need direct instruction, so what is the problem? If you want to use the card they are trying to improve their core GPA then tell me how they do it in the summer time? Yep, they take on-line classes.

Yes, the ACT test will not be administered during this time but how many student/athletes do you think have NOT taken it at all. I would venture not many. There has been a campaign to get all students, emphasis on ALL to take the ACT as Juniors - at least in several states I know of. I suspect the NCAA will make allowances for this.

I can remember not that long ago when you read the profile of a recruit you got their height, weight, speed and ACT/SAT score. Some may be wanting to improve their score but that doesn't mean they haven't taken the test.

No I do not. When are core classes taken? Not many in the senior year. For seniors, there are a total of 16 quarters of school and there is only one quarter left. At the very least, most of these classes will be delivered on-line, some are packet based but the teachers in all of them are going to adjust for the changes but again, this is ONE quarter. In our area, the students can Zoom or Skype if they have a question and need direct instruction, so what is the problem? If you want to use the card they are trying to improve their core GPA then tell me how they do it in the summer time? Yep, they take on-line classes.

Yes, the ACT test will not be administered during this time but how many student/athletes do you think have NOT taken it at all. I would venture not many. There has been a campaign to get all students, emphasis on ALL to take the ACT as Juniors - at least in several states I know of. I suspect the NCAA will make allowances for this.

I can remember not that long ago when you read the profile of a recruit you got their height, weight, speed and ACT/SAT score. Some may be wanting to improve their score but that doesn't mean they haven't taken the test.

I said improve test scores and core GPA, the sliding scale often has kids working until summer to get a high enough score or to finish a core class.

The general student body will be fine, but a lot of D1 athletes just get over the hump. Often due to poor support systems at school or home.

I said improve test scores and core GPA, the sliding scale often has kids working until summer to get a high enough score or to finish a core class.

The general student body will be fine, but a lot of D1 athletes just get over the hump. Often due to poor support systems at school or home.

What are you using for data to back this up? Right now it appears the Huskers have two in danger if not qualifying, not saying they won't just saying they haven't yet. That means everyone else has. How many kids go the juco route because of grades alone? I have been around many High Schools over the years and have yet to find one that doesn't have a support system. I would agree that some parents and home lives leave much to be desired.

What are you using for data to back this up? Right now it appears the Huskers have two in danger if not qualifying, not saying they won't just saying they haven't yet. That means everyone else has. How many kids go the juco route because of grades alone? I have been around many High Schools over the years and have yet to find one that doesn't have a support system. I would agree that some parents and home lives leave much to be desired.

This is a very old study of when Prop 16 replaced Prop 48.

https://nces.ed.gov/pubs/web/95763.asp

• Five-sixths (83.2 percent) of 1992 college-bound high school seniors met the NCAA Proposition 48 freshmen eligibility requirements for athletic participation as freshmen; when the stricter Proposition 16 provisions were invoked, the percent qualifying dropped to about two-thirds (64.7 percent).

• Only about half of the black (46.4 percent) and Hispanic (54.1 percent) college-bound high school seniors met the Proposition 16 requirements, as compared to approximately 67 percent of white and Asian college-bound high school seniors.

• College-bound high school seniors from the lowest of the socioeconomic status (SES) levels were the least likely to meet the Proposition 16 requirements, with only 42 percent qualifying to participate in varsity sports as freshmen.

• College-bound high school athletes met the requirements at the same rate as non-athletes.

Beyond that look into core courses and GPA, the NCAA takes the 16 highest scores from qualifying core courses. Many students struggle early in high school and use grades in the final semester to get the core GPA up, then they also need a test score to match the scale, the higher the test score the lower the GPA needed. So now kids working to get that better test score or last class to up the GPA to not have to get that higher score could be in trouble.

Another link

https://collegead.com/a-new-year-and-new-eligibility-rules-bring-new-problems/

But, for kids at inner city or small rural institutions who are not the highly sought recruits, meeting the requirements will be a challenge. Some high schoolers are likely already ineligible, although neither they nor their parents (nor their school for that matter) may know it.

And for the record, most recruiting happens when it is too late to redo high school course selection and progression.

4) The core courses that count for NCAA eligibility can be accessed online by high school students or their families; students can enter the name of their high schoolto ascertain what courses count for meeting the core mandates. To be candid, how would students know to review this list in 8th or 9th grade?

Reactions: LinesWithCarl
The original question was about school closures affecting current students and the possibility of a NCAA wavier. I submit that we are in the final quarter of school - most of the work is already completed. Courses are accounted for and they are enrolled and are down to the very end. Even if they are a Junior, the class schedule was set. All that has changed is the delivery method of the class and no ACT tests being offered. Any student that was in jeopardy would likely still be regardless of the situation.

Some data you presented talks about recruits who are contacted late in the process and have to play catch up. That would still be true no matter what. Are there students who do not put effort into their classes despite constant encouragement from parents, coaches, counselors, and teachers? Certainly. But this current situation, having occurred late in the school year should not have a significant affect UNLESS the student allows it.

I just looked up the ACT test dates and the April 4 date is cancelled and moved to June 13. You could look at this either way - you missed the April date or you now have more time to prepare for the June date.

Thanks for the data as well. I have worked in schools for many years so I have some experience in this area but not all the answers!

I was reading your post until you said quarters...
What backwoods farmhouse school club are you involved with that is awarding credits for quarters?

I was told this morning that our esu told schools that the original closure of schools until April 1 has been extended to May 1. All grades will be frozen meaning they can't go down but they could go up if teacher feels student is on top of things and going above and beyond with their effort.

Not recommending that teachers try to teach too much new stuff mostly review. Not sure what the benefit of that would be. I think it would have been better to extend no school on a weekly basis rather than saying May 1. Logic would say add summer school but that's easier said than done. Contracts would have to be amended and many other obstacles.

This doesn't have much bearing on the above discussion about nonqualifying. Just thought maybe it fit in since discussing high school

Reactions: Cloud@Heart
The original question was about school closures affecting current students and the possibility of a NCAA wavier. I submit that we are in the final quarter of school - most of the work is already completed. Courses are accounted for and they are enrolled and are down to the very end. Even if they are a Junior, the class schedule was set. All that has changed is the delivery method of the class and no ACT tests being offered. Any student that was in jeopardy would likely still be regardless of the situation.

Some data you presented talks about recruits who are contacted late in the process and have to play catch up. That would still be true no matter what. Are there students who do not put effort into their classes despite constant encouragement from parents, coaches, counselors, and teachers? Certainly. But this current situation, having occurred late in the school year should not have a significant affect UNLESS the student allows it.

I just looked up the ACT test dates and the April 4 date is cancelled and moved to June 13. You could look at this either way - you missed the April date or you now have more time to prepare for the June date.

Thanks for the data as well. I have worked in schools for many years so I have some experience in this area but not all the answers!

I tend to agree with both of you,

I think the kid from Bellevue will be affected more than the JC kid from Texas.

The high schooler will be able to retake some classes, depending on what the grades were and what he needs to improve the GPA, he could be affected. However the effect could be positive as well. I know my son's online classes are significantly easier than the in class version he would have had. So that last quarter could be significant in the semester grade.

The JUCO kid needs to graduate. I don't believe the GPA is much of a factor. If he has an associate's degree that transfers to Nebraska, he is gold. I think there was concern about him getting enough credits to graduate, not the actual grade in the class.

In the words of the great poet Marshall Mathers, that's my 10 cents, my 2 cents is free!!!

I was reading your post until you said quarters...
What backwoods farmhouse school club are you involved with that is awarding credits for quarters?

Not credit for quarters, a quarter of the year or half of a semester. Does that help?

It is really nice to read a thread when our scrollers are NOT name calling, bashing, etc. This was interesting and very informative to read. I have great grandchildren going into high school and I can pass on this information to their parents.
So thanks again to all who contributed to this thread.

GO BIG RED!

I tend to agree with both of you,

I think the kid from Bellevue will be affected more than the JC kid from Texas.

The high schooler will be able to retake some classes, depending on what the grades were and what he needs to improve the GPA, he could be affected. However the effect could be positive as well. I know my son's online classes are significantly easier than the in class version he would have had. So that last quarter could be significant in the semester grade.

The JUCO kid needs to graduate. I don't believe the GPA is much of a factor. If he has an associate's degree that transfers to Nebraska, he is gold. I think there was concern about him getting enough credits to graduate, not the actual grade in the class.

In the words of the great poet Marshall Mathers, that's my 10 cents, my 2 cents is free!!!
Didn't the Juco he is attending shut down because of the virus?

But what if 1/4 of the year is a semester?

I am not really certain what you are asking. I can't speak for all states but most operate on total hours - I believe Nebraska is 1,080 for HS and 1,031 for elementary. Generally, schools break this up into 4 quarters and 2 semesters which is really for reporting and mostly for high schools and credits. I ran a private preschool through high school and the grade school teachers could care less about quarters and semesters. How every a credit is determined in your state would likely be the answer.

I do know in KS there is talk of modifying the requirements with all of this. From my understanding and again, YMMV according to each state, a 1/4 of the year can't be a semester unless something is changed at the state level. Perhaps you are saying that the rest of the school year is cancelled with only half of the semester completed. That is where the state board has to step in. I can say from a teacher and administrator perspective that is a disaster for students. It does not only effect the current year but what the students learned for the start of next year. It is difficult to make up.

Reactions: huskerfan66

NCAA is going to have to loosen some requirements and restrictions for entry and admissions. I can already see the lawyers salivating for all the suits in general. And anything related to and deemed as discriminatory and you can assure that is going to be an issue brought up when you look at the numbers.

NCAA is going to have to loosen some requirements and restrictions for entry and admissions. I can already see the lawyers salivating for all the suits in general. And anything related to and deemed as discriminatory and you can assure that is going to be an issue brought up when you look at the numbers.

Sounds like the battle cry I hear at high schools - everything is "racist". We have programed an entire generation to think that anything that doesn't go their way is racist and I am not exaggerating. Never mind the personal responsibility part.

The NCAA may make some temporary exceptions but will they solve the problem? Like saying OK you can enroll but you still have to get the scores. What is solved? Isn't there discrimination the other way when you let people in that didn't earn it by the rules? Hmmm

ADVERTISEMENT