ADVERTISEMENT

No suspensions?

• Thread starter anon_umk0ifu6vj6zi
  • Start date
A

anon_umk0ifu6vj6zi

I'm sorry.... but I feel the same on this as I did last year on Reillys dui charge, and coach Dubbs slap on the wrist. I don't care what off field stuff any of them did as "punishment". "Do the right thing" should not need the courts to decide whether or not this motto is followed. Illegal is illegal, wrong is wrong, right is right.
Do the right thing should always be the standard.

I'm sorry.... but I feel the same on this as I did last year on Reillys dui charge, and coach Dubbs slap on the wrist. I don't care what off field stuff any of them did as "punishment". "Do the right thing" should not need the courts to decide whether or not this motto is followed. Illegal is illegal, wrong is wrong, right is right.
Do the right thing should always be the standard.
The issue is what you think is the right thing and what someone else thinks to be the right thing may not be the same. I disagree with you on this, but I do respect your opinion and understand why you feel the way you do about it. You're definitely not alone.

The issue is what you think is the right thing and what someone else thinks to be the right thing may not be the same. I disagree with you on this, but I do respect your opinion and understand why you feel the way you do about it. You're definitely not alone.

It's not a matter what we think is right or wrong, it's the law. I can't decide if taking something from someone is right or wrong, the law is pretty clear on that. I suppose you could get into situational ethics when just about anything can be justified.

It's not a matter what we think is right or wrong, it's the law. I can't decide if taking something from someone is right or wrong, the law is pretty clear on that. I suppose you could get into situational ethics when just about anything can be justified.

Are we still talking about the Stanley Morgan thing? Weren't the charges dropped? If the charges were dropped, why would a formal punishment be justified?

Are we still talking about the Stanley Morgan thing? Weren't the charges dropped? If the charges were dropped, why would a formal punishment be justified?

I don't claim to know everything on this but will take a shot. Yes I think he was referring to Stanley's arrest for marijuana. I believe someone said they charges we're not actually dropped but he entered into a deferment program which means if he doesnt get into more trouble and he takes care of his responsibilities he will be ok. Not the same as completely dropping the charges. Others will come along shortly and correct me.

Reactions: baseball31ne
Weed should be legal. Period. So I am all in favor of leniency with any "violation" involving it. I know, I know... "it's against the law!" Please. So is speeding and coasting through a stop sign on a completely deserted street. So is jaywalking. And I put violations of the law with regard to small amount possession of weed right up there with getting a speeding ticket

Weed should be legal. Period. So I am all in favor of leniency with any "violation" involving it. I know, I know... "it's against the law!" Please. So is speeding and coasting through a stop sign on a completely deserted street. So is jaywalking. And I put violations of the law with regard to small amount possession of weed right up there with getting a speeding ticket
But the NCAA and most teams don't have rules against jaywalking.

If Riley doesn't think suspensions are warranted, that is enough for me.

Completely different situation compared to the DUIs. Reilly/Williams were putting other people in danger by being behind the wheel.... the cannabis arrests are a completely different story.

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
I believe they had some internal punishment whatever that means and so let it go, move on GO BIG RED.

Not the point. "Do the right thing". I hoped this staff would actually have standards unlike the hit and miss punishments of those they replaced.

Reactions: huskerfan1414
Maybe thats because the anti-jaywalking propaganda film "Jaywalkin' Madness" didnt get the same kind of backing as the movie all the 50+ guys on here watched.

It came out in 1936. The vast majority of the people who saw that in the theater are dead.

I don't claim to know everything on this but will take a shot. Yes I think he was referring to Stanley's arrest for marijuana. I believe someone said they charges we're not actually dropped but he entered into a deferment program which means if he doesnt get into more trouble and he takes care of his responsibilities he will be ok. Not the same as completely dropping the charges. Others will come along shortly and correct me.
Marijuana ?? are you guys not with the times I just bought some the other day for my back all perfectly legal and at an retail outletSmokin

I'm just trying to get a lay of the land here. If a poster questions the Coach's initial selection of staff assistants and two years of middling results he gets lambasted and pasted a Bo lover. But it's fair game to heartily question Coach's suspension decisions for smokable-only-quantity pot busts when the charges are procedurally dismissed.

Reactions: huskerfan1414
If this happened to players on another team, particularly in the B1G, and specifically in the B1G West, and there were no suspensions, the vast majority of folks on this board would be going off on those coaches. But here we are, with a "couldn't care less" attitude because it's "our" team.

Then just have Riley change the rule to: We don't care about pot. Just don't show up to practice or games high.

Until that happens, breaking team rules should have some real consequences.

I let the the judicial system do it's job. It's there to do a task... and it's as eager as ever to do it. As much as we might hate certain things.

Now... does your implied suggestion, that certain people are more exempt from law than others, have any basisl?
I Will say this. I have a distant family member who claims that florida offered to "buy" his loyalty on a pledge. An ex fiancee's father played for Tennessee and he told me that he got paid in hundreds everyday.

Drunk and confused. GBR!!!
source.gif

Reactions: GretnaShawn
So what I get out of this, and I believe it was mentioned before, is that internal punishment isn't enough to some. Let me see if I can dig deeper and present the facts.

A law was broken, those in charge of punishing for that offense, offered some sort of diversion program that will remove the arrest as long as the lawbreaker stays out of trouble. The lawbreaker was given a punishment lesser than the most severe punishment allowable based on some factors that the DA or judge believed to be relevant.

Now let's take that to the football program

A rule was broken, those in charge of punishing for that rule breaking, offered some sort of diversion program that lessened the severity of the punishment. The coach, like the judge or DA, did not punish with the the most severe penalty allowable based on some factors the coach believed to be relevant.

Why are we not up in arms that the Jacksonville judicial system (or where ever it was) didn't throw the book at this criminal and sentence him to the max penalty allowed?

Situational ethics= fast track to moral relativism. Slippery slope.

Reactions: OzzyLvr
If you are upset they didn't get suspended for misdemeanor marijuana possession, it's probably a good thing you won't be able to see the ESPN 30 for 30 about NU in the 90's
Well aware of what Pope Tom had going on under his watch. Which is why I think it is chicken shit that certain people refused to be interviewed. The truth is the truth

If this happened to players on another team, particularly in the B1G, and specifically in the B1G West, and there were no suspensions, the vast majority of folks on this board would be going off on those coaches. But here we are, with a "couldn't care less" attitude because it's "our" team.
Yup.

I guess it boils down to the objective. If the goal is to reduce the chances of the player repeating the behavior - the rules laid out by the court's diversion program may be sufficient. Of course there could always be additional discipline applied by the coach that doesn't involve suspension.

If the goal is to give the public their pound of flesh, you should always lean toward suspensions. Of course, even if suspended for today's game, some would complain that its only Arkansas State and that you need to suspend for the Oregon game too to really send a message.

Reactions: ThrowBones92

If we're talking about getting caught with pot, then no, I couldn't disagree more. Now if we're talking about something else and I'm to stupid to what it is, maybe you're right, but if not, then no.

Reactions: ThrowBones92
I guess it boils down to the objective. If the goal is to reduce the chances of the player repeating the behavior - the rules laid out by the court's diversion program may be sufficient. Of course there could always be additional discipline applied by the coach that doesn't involve suspension.

If the goal is to give the public their pound of flesh, you should always lean toward suspensions. Of course, even if suspended for today's game, some would complain that its only Arkansas State and that you need to suspend for the Oregon game too to really send a message.
I simply think it would send a stronger message to the team if their was some sort of suspension. Hell a half, quarter, or even a series would make it visible to the team (even more than some diversion program).

I guess it boils down to consistency. I criticized Blo for handling these things poorly, and I expect Riley to live up to the standards that Pope Tom had.

I simply think it would send a stronger message to the team if their was some sort of suspension. Hell a half, quarter, or even a series would make it visible to the team (even more than some diversion program).

I guess it boils down to consistency. I criticized Blo for handling these things poorly, and I expect Riley to live up to the standards that Pope Tom had.

When you're the next Head Coach at Nebraska over Scott FrostLaughing, you can run the program the way you see fit.

Right know it's Riley's team and you're going too live with it.Winking

This threads reminds me of why I disliked being a HS principal so much. Rules were rules, they are in the handbook, board policy, laws, etc. But have a kid violate one of them and I would hear many of the same arguments and justifications for the actions. To contrast, at a private school, I rarely had to take such actions, just call parents and they took care of things like formerly were done in days gone by.

Every place of work is different and I know this isn't employment but at many places you get in trouble outside of work, you also pay the price at work. So I don't know what the big deal is if the coaches did or do something. And even if they don't, that is their call and they will have to be consistent with all players.

This threads reminds me of why I disliked being a HS principal so much. Rules were rules, they are in the handbook, board policy, laws, etc. But have a kid violate one of them and I would hear many of the same arguments and justifications for the actions. To contrast, at a private school, I rarely had to take such actions, just call parents and they took care of things like formerly were done in days gone by.

Every place of work is different and I know this isn't employment but at many places you get in trouble outside of work, you also pay the price at work. So I don't know what the big deal is if the coaches did or do something. And even if they don't, that is their call and they will have to be consistent with all players.
Exactly. In the real world actions have consequences.

Last edited by a moderator:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT