ADVERTISEMENT

No Staff Changes

LJS Article on the topic.

"After a pause, Erstad added, “If anybody’s going to get fired, it should be me.”"
He's got the "I take the blame" line down pretty good. It's pretty easy to say that when you know there's no way you're ever going to get fired. Not surprising he's not making any staff changes either. When your job is 100% safe no matter what, there's no pressure to improve.

Last edited:
What’s funny is keeping Silva at least makes some sense. But keeping Kirby makes zero sense to me.

Reactions: sui111
This doesn't surprise me. No balls and no desire to be among the best. He is coasting. Very very disappointing. He is right in the fact that yes...he should be fired.

This doesn't surprise me. No balls and no desire to be among the best. He is coasting. Very very disappointing. He is right in the fact that yes...he should be fired.

To be fair, keeping around Silva/Kirby is the definition of "grinding." Erstad is going to have to grind his ass off to field a respectable program. He is probably soaking it up.

I found it troubling and very disappointing that he said that making staff changes would be the "easy way out". I've heard something similar to that said by other coaches that are being criticized for their performance, and I've always thought it's ridiculous and nonsensical. In what way is telling an underperforming assistant that they're not living up to the standards of the program "easy"? To me that shows someone willing to make the tough choices to make the program better. And if he doesn't think any of his assistants are underperforming, maybe he could justify how Ted Silva and Mike Kirby are doing their jobs. As others have suggested, it would be at least nice to know what the heck Kirby does and what he brings to the program. Saying that making staff changes is the "easy way out" shows me someone who is just stubborn and going to do things his way regardless of what people think.

As I said above, Erstad has always been very good at taking the blame for failures in the program. That's all well and good, but it's time to stop telling everybody that you take the blame and how much you care about the program and start actually showing some improvement. 7 years as coach, and all he has to show are 1 regular season championship and 3 NCAA tournament berths that produced a grand total of 1 win. That may be OK for a program that has never showed any sustained success, but not for one that has been to the CWS 3 times and for which NCAA tournament berths were once practically expected.

I was listening to our baseball radio guys the other day saying that one should only expect to host a regional once every 12 years. I rolled my eyes but it seems everyone involved with this baseball program is delusional. Heck, we had a good enough team to host a regional last year and ended up a 3 seed. Once again poor management of the pitching staff probably cost us 6-7 games.

I'll never forget the time Erstad and Silva threw Big Ben on a Friday night start as a true Freshman after having not started a game all year. He of course gave up about 8 runs before they even took him out. Silva is a joke and has been fortunate to have a few talented guys like Meyers and Bummer to help the team ERA out. Kirby offers nothing according to the few boosters I've talked to.

I have to be honest, I don't see us ever going anywhere on a national scale under Erstad due to his inability to change and his staffs inability to adapt and learn new philosophies. It reminds me of Bo's staff by the end of his tenure. I can only hope he turns it around and proves me wrong. It would make me a happy man to see us turn the program around.

My belief is we get worse. Losing likely our top 2 hitters in Wilkening and Scott, pitching is a disaster, closer gone, stone hands/feet Roskam at third again next year ... please. Defense up the middle pathetic. How does this thing turn around? Don't see it happening. How many consecutive years missing the B1G tournament will it take to get Moos busy ... 2, 3?

Reactions: snowling
It took three for Anderson to be shown the door.

But none of those missed tournaments were 50 miles away...
A decent sized chunk of the fanbase was also delusional enough to think Anderson did anything but ride Van Horn and especially Childress' coattails to the CWS in 2005 which bought him at least 1 or 2 more years than were obviously necessary. I don't know if winning a single Big 10 regular season title in 7+ years will be enough for Erstad to fool that same segment of the fanbase into thinking he deserves infinite time but I fear the answer is yes.

A decent sized chunk of the fanbase was also delusional enough to think Anderson did anything but ride Van Horn and especially Childress' coattails to the CWS in 2005 which bought him at least 1 or 2 more years than were obviously necessary. I don't know if winning a single Big 10 regular season title in 7+ years will be enough for Erstad to fool that same segment of the fanbase into thinking he deserves infinite time but I fear the answer is yes.
I had never looked at this board before----after I read the posts to this point I now know why.

Well you can look at this board or not ... your choice my delusional friend. Better yet, you can find a seat in next years B1G Baseball tournament and admire where we rack in this weak conference ... at the pace this coaching team is producing, there will be PLENTY of empty seats available.

Reactions: HuskersNC
I had never looked at this board before----after I read the posts to this point I now know why.
Oh, you're right, Erstad barely treading water as we get further from Will Bolt's impact on the first 3 years of his tenure is as good as it's ever going to get for Nebraska baseball and he should get a lifetime contract. I don't know what I was thinking.

ADVERTISEMENT