ADVERTISEMENT

No Post Season Play for Nebrasketball

Arguable 1 of the 2 or 3 hottest teams in the conference. Wisconsin beat Sparty (1-1), Hoosiers, Terps, Io_a with wins over (bubble) Michigan and Ohio State down the stretch for an impressive 11-2 finish. This wasn't the same Badger team that started the season or even conference play.

No doubt it was a very good win but in the future we need to be playing these games to improve our tourney seed rather than celebrating an upset win to reach the round of 8 in a 14 team tourney

No doubt it was a very good win but in the future we need to be playing these games to improve our tourney seed rather than celebrating an upset win to reach the round of 8 in a 14 team tourney

Well of course we do ...but if you look at our history in conference tournaments besides the year we won the Big 8 tournament Nebraska very seldom wins more than 2 games in their conference tournament.

This year was encouraging after losing 5 games in a row.

Some of you won't agree but the Huskers finish this year is probably right behind MSU and Purdues.

Well of course we do ...but if you look at our history in conference tournaments besides the year we won the Big 8 tournament Nebraska very seldom wins more than 2 games in their conference tournament.

This year was encouraging after losing 5 games in a row.

Agree. However in the future we shouldn't be playing on Wednesday in the play in game. I don't consider us as having won 2 conf tourney games

Everyone across the nation and inside the conference had this team finishing 13 out of 14. We finished 11 (?), sure it sucks, but there's also perspective considering the minutes played by AW3 (avg 5/game at KU) and true freshmen. About 10 days ago, they accounted for 58% of minutes played per game.

I've already outlined several reasons why there should be excitement for the future, and going 2-1 in the B1G adds to it, especially the last game played.

Reactions: dinglefritz
If you look at the Big Ten Tourney try to name 3 teams that did better than NU...you can't

They are getting hot.

If you look at the Big Ten Tourney try to name 3 teams that did better than NU...you can't

They are getting hot.

objectively Illinois beat higher seeds in the play in round and the round of 8 than Nebraska and played a more competitive game in the game in which they were eliminated .. I'll add that Michigan had a better tourney as well as they played their way into the tourney + MSU, Purdue, Maryland

Last edited:
objectively Illinois beat higher seeds in the play in round and the round of 8 than Nebraska .. I'll add that Michigan had a better tourney as well as they played their way into the tourney + MSU, Purdue, Maryland

Objectively, Wisconsin is playing better ball than Io_a. Objectively, Nebraska went 2-1. Objectively, Nebraska was and still is better than Illinois.

Agenda driven to diminish what Nebraska did in the B1G tournament.

Objectively, Wisconsin is playing better ball than Io_a. Objectively, Nebraska went 2-1. Objectively, Nebraska was and still is better than Illinois.

Agenda driven to diminish what Nebraska did in the B1G tournament.

I'm a Miles supporter ... however, I'm not going to go along with the premise that Neb had the 3rd best tourney performance of any team in the conference .. that is ridiuclous.

Last edited:
I'm a Miles supporter ... however, I'm not going to go along with the premise that Neb had the 3rd best tourney performance of any team in the conference .. that is ridiuclous. Illinois was closer to advancing to the final 4 than Nebraska
Illinois got hammered by Purdue while Nebraska had a chance to beat MD with 2 minutes left...think about it. Nebraska had MD on the ropes with 2 minutes left and MD is just about everyone's darkhorse to win it all this year.

[QUOTE="JohnRossEwing, post: 2129298, member: 14974"]Illinois got hammered by Purdue while Nebraska had a chance to beat MD with 2 minutes left...think about it. Nebraska had MD on the ropes with 2 minutes left and MD is just about everyone's darkhorse to win it all this year.[/QUOTE]

correct .. apologies .. that was an idiotic statement by me -- looked at the scores incorrectly

I maintain it is a leap to say that Nebraska had the best tourney behind only MSU and Purdue ... I look forward to progress the next 2 years but I'm not going to do backflips about having to play in the round reserved for the bottom 4 teams in the league an then bowing out in the round of 8

[QUOTE="JohnRossEwing, post: 2129298, member: 14974"]Illinois got hammered by Purdue while Nebraska had a chance to beat MD with 2 minutes left...think about it. Nebraska had MD on the ropes with 2 minutes left and MD is just about everyone's darkhorse to win it all this year.

correct .. apologies .. that was an idiotic statement by me -- looked at the scores incorrectly

I maintain it is a leap to say that Nebraska had the best tourney behind only MSU and Purdue ... I look forward to progress the next 2 years but I'm not going to do backflips about having to play in the round reserved for the bottom 4 teams in the league an then bowing out in the round of 8[/QUOTE]
No problem!

I guess I just look at it as NU almost beating MD a few nights ago...a team that might have two lottery picks.

I'm a Miles supporter ... however, I'm not going to go along with the premise that Neb had the 3rd best tourney performance of any team in the conference .. that is ridiuclous.

I wouldn't of gone that far, IMO definitely top 5 but he's not too far off. The issue I had with your previous post is "NU didn't go 2-1" and (paraphrasing) "Wisconsin wasn't an impressive win". Dakich was praising NU after the Rutgers win saying it wouldn't surprise him to see Nebraska beat Wisconsin and he had made a similar comment (close to it) the day of the Maryland game.

Nebrasketball played damn good for 3 days, it's alright to give them credit without backhanded comments as to why or how they went 2-1.

I don't think we had a choice really...NIT was not an option and I believe Vegas 16 only wanted teams with winning records. We will see when that bracket is announced. Looking at the CBI bracket...no way Miles was going to accept that bid, wouldn't be worth it. We would have been the only BCS school playing a bunch of mid-majors.

I don't think we had a choice really...NIT was not an option and I believe Vegas 16 only wanted teams with winning records. We will see when that bracket is announced. Looking at the CBI bracket...no way Miles was going to accept that bid, wouldn't be worth it. We would have been the only BCS school playing a bunch of mid-majors.

We had a choice, CBI, and passed on it. I believe the V16 was an option as well but they (V16) wouldn't commit to us plus I don't think the staff wanted to wait two weeks to play, which I disagree with. Matter of fact, the V16 has already had multiple (Marquette, Kansas State, Northwestern, many others) teams decline their tournament so the V16 options are limited.

2 out 3 teams from Nebraska are playing in the post season. Amazing that the one who could probably use the extra court time the most refused.

2 out 3 teams from Nebraska are playing in the post season. Amazing that the one who could probably use the extra court time the most refused.

Where do you suggest NU should have landed? Vegas 8? CBI? Had we accepted those bids you would likely be on your Creighton board making fun of Nebrasketball for playing in a tournament full of "mid majors."

Where do you suggest NU should have landed? Vegas 8? CBI? Had we accepted those bids you would likely be on your Creighton board making fun of Nebrasketball for playing in a tournament full of "mid majors."

Not at all. I don't see why a team that obviously needs extra practice time doesn't want to play more basketball. But, that is their choice and if the players were not willing to play and give 100% effort then that was Nebraska's choice. I guess if offered an opportunity to continue a season in any sport, one should take it. I would have said that if Creighton had rejected the alternative post season opportunities as well.

Not at all. I don't see why a team that obviously needs extra practice time doesn't want to play more basketball. But, that is their choice and if the players were not willing to play and give 100% effort then that was Nebraska's choice. I guess if offered an opportunity to continue a season in any sport, one should take it. I would have said that if Creighton had rejected the alternative post season opportunities as well.

And Creighton would have if they were not selected for the NIT. Likewise..Nebraska would have played in the NIT. More practice time for the young guys does not help much when half of them need to sit out due to injuries. I would say at this point....with Nebraska being a big man or two away more focus on recruiting is of utmost importance.

You only get better by continuing to play. How do you think they are going to get better in the Summer time? By playing. Pro-Am leagues, etc.

I wouldn't want to play with a bunch of guys that wanted to end the season. The concept is the same as a bowl More practices and a chance to build momentum going into the next season.

Disturbing if the players chose this. I hope it really was the administration and cost effectiveness.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT