ADVERTISEMENT

No Offensive Identity

HuskerLove1

Sophomore
Sep 22, 2018
Why don’t we have an offensive identity?

At UCF they ran the ball, threw it vertically down the field, and operated with extreme tempo to keep opposing defenses on their heels.

This is year 3 with HCSF and it’s still unclear who they want to be. The strength of our team this year should definitely be running the ball, but it doesn’t seem like they really made that a priority today - Mills was nowhere to be found for the majority of the game.

Reactions: Redblood23

At UCF they ran the ball, threw it vertically down the field, and operated with extreme tempo to keep opposing defenses on their heels.

This is year 3 with HCSF and it’s still unclear who they want to be. The strength of our team this year should definitely be running the ball, but it doesn’t seem like they really made that a priority today - Mills was nowhere to be found for the majority of the game.
How did they not make running the ball a priority? Heck, we hardly threw it at all.

Mills had 10 total carries - he should touch the ball at least 20 times or more a game.
So it’s actually that you don’t like how they tried to run it or who was running it.

I thought the running game was good, overall. 5.8 ypc against OSU is impressive. But in the long run, we can’t have the QB’s carry it that much, so we will need more Mills north/south and maybe more Wandale on jet sweeps. But I’m more concerned with the non existent vertical passing game than anything else on offense.

It looked like they expected to be unable to accomplish anything with the RB. Way more QB run than I expected, especially if we consider Luke a QB even when lined up at RB.

Adrian looked good running early, but after he took a few hits he was back to looking like somebody who hates to be hit. They can't go to that well so many times.

Reactions: bigboxes
We took what OSU was giving us - - the QB run. And it was working well for the most part.

Imagine how things would have opened up if we had 1. A coach who could recruit a deep threat and 2. A coach who was willing to stretch the field.

Frost better get used to his 36% winning percentage at Nebraska if he thinks he is going to navigate the Big Ten without stretching the field.

Biggest concern I have with the offense is that we played a bunch of walk ons at WR today. That's a position where we have a bunch of 4 star recruits but none of them played when the game was in doubt. I know Manning is having some issues but it was Wandale and a bunch of guys I'd never heard of out there. Did Hickman play, is he hurt?

Imagine how things would have opened up if we had 1. A coach who could recruit a deep threat and 2. A coach who was willing to stretch the field.

Frost better get used to his 36% winning percentage at Nebraska if he thinks he is going to navigate the Big Ten without stretching the field.
You are insufferable. You really don’t think we would like to be able to stretch the field, Frost said as much after the game.

Reactions: otismotis08
So it’s actually that you don’t like how they tried to run it or who was running it.

I thought the running game was good, overall. 5.8 ypc against OSU is impressive. But in the long run, we can’t have the QB’s carry it that much, so we will need more Mills north/south and maybe more Wandale on jet sweeps. But I’m more concerned with the non existent vertical passing game than anything else on offense.
It’s not sustainable for your QB’s to have twice as many rushing attempts as your RB’s. Not to mention, we need the physicality of our RB’s against the LB’s and safeties to wear the defense down.

Biggest concern I have with the offense is that we played a bunch of walk ons at WR today. That's a position where we have a bunch of 4 star recruits but none of them played when the game was in doubt. I know Manning is having some issues but it was Wandale and a bunch of guys I'd never heard of out there. Did Hickman play, is he hurt?
Exactly. We need guys like Manning, Betts, Brown, etc to be playmakers. We need to get whatever is keeping that from happening fixed. This OL and this running game would be nightmare for opposing teams, if we had some legitimate threats at WR.

You are insufferable. You really don’t think we would like to be able to stretch the field, Frost said as much after the game.
Awesome. Maybe he will do something about it as opposed to getting his head beat in the majority of the time?
Hopefully, his solution is not some walk on from Valentine, NE because his ego believes the Big Ten has to adapt to his offense.

Ran for almost 6 yards a carry against the best team Nebraska will play all season. I saw plenty of encouraging signs offensively. Adrian looked better than he did at any point last season.

The biggest issue remains overcoming themselves with stupid penalties and fumbling the ball in the running game. For whatever reason, Nebraska has sucked at holding onto the ball and developed an amazing ability to shoot themselves in the foot with key penalties. The same story of stopping themselves applied to much of the game today. When they didn't, they had success.

It looked like they expected to be unable to accomplish anything with the RB. Way more QB run than I expected, especially if we consider Luke a QB even when lined up at RB.

Adrian looked good running early, but after he took a few hits he was back to looking like somebody who hates to be hit. They can't go to that well so many times.

Preach it, brother! OSU is just more talented than us. For now.

the question is, can Manning be that deep threat. We have some taller receivers that should be able to stretch the field. It they’re either young or hurt. If we find a deep threat then that will open up the offense. I think Manning can be that guy if he can get healthy.

Reactions: headcard
[QUOTE
the question is, can Manning be that deep threat. We have some taller receivers that should be able to stretch the field. It they’re either young or hurt. If we find a deep threat then that will open up the offense. I think Manning can be that guy if he can get healthy.
Someone needs to be. Manning is an obvious choice, Betts has a similar profile, Brown and Fleming are burners. Someone needs to step up and take the top off the defense.

I have no idea what you're talking about with Martinez. He ran decisively all game and his best run came on one of his last series.

Someone needs to be. Manning is an obvious choice, Betts has a similar profile, Brown and Fleming are burners. Someone needs to step up and take the top off the defense.
We need to give them a chance to do it.

Exactly zero of those listed played a single down in the first half today.

We threw 1 pass 20+ yards downfield. It was almost picked.

I don’t think they’re willing to throw jump balls, and I don’t understand why. And whatever the reason, it’s not a good enough excuse.

We need to give them a chance to do it.

Exactly zero of those listed played a single down in the first half today.

We threw 1 pass 20+ yards downfield. It was almost picked.

I don’t think they’re willing to throw jump balls, and I don’t understand why. And whatever the reason, it’s not a good enough excuse.
They did it constantly at UCF, it has to be a lack of trust in the WR’s. And if that’s the case they have to find a way to get guys like Betts and Manning out there.

They did it constantly at UCF, it has to be a lack of trust in the WR’s. And if that’s the case they have to find a way to get guys like Betts and Manning out there.
I think it’s more a lack of trust in the QB, but that’s JMO.

Milton wasn’t exactly throwing to Calvin Johnson at ucf, but they did have much better wrs than we do now.

I’d agree the last couple years.

I think they are going to be a tempo/run heavy team. Vertical threats were lacking yesterday. We need a wideout to step up and take the walk on spots badly.

I have no idea what you're talking about with Martinez. He ran decisively all game and his best run came on one of his last series.
If you call constantly cutting toward the sidelines and fumbling the ball off his own chest decisive I guess we're not going to agree.

He ran better than last year but he's not a guy I want taking that many carries as opposed to getting Mills the ball.

Contrast how Adrian goes into contact with how Luke does. Luke likes to hit people. His cuts are to get vertical and grab immediate yardage. Adrian always tries to "bounce" his runs and leaves meat on the bone by juking sideways or backwards.

Reactions: Mack In Motion

Dude is still scared in the pocket. And has little poise and hes a junior.

He can't make touch throws which makes him easy to defend.

And hes average at read option.

Reactions: drubendall
This is about right. His difficulties are primarily mental. He seems to get panicky in the pocket when he feels the pressure.

Reactions: Mrs.Jeans15
ADVERTISEMENT