No masks

franzix

Senior
Gold Member
Aug 25, 2003
The CDC puts out weekly seasonal influenza reports, which includes the testing numbers. I link them in the below post.

Thanks, and I figured, but as much I appreciate your posts, I still think it's weird to "follow" a poster on a message board, so I missed it.

Wouldn't it be nice if some reputable news agencies covered this relentlessly, so dumbshirt threads like "flu is gone" would go away?

madbird

Offensive Coordinator
Gold Member
Nov 30, 2004
i identify as fully vaccinated so i'm good to go!!!

bbarry464

Athletic Director
Gold Member
Nov 12, 2004
Wichita, KS
Certainly they could

Ok, why do they have to know that to vaccinate against it?

Um China?

Ok, but why do we have to know that? We know the factors that increase risk, just like most other diseases?

Nobody claims that, but it is well studied for sure.

So because some science has been wrong in the past, all science is wrong in the future

Are you talking about Thalidomide? Used in the 50s and 60s for birth defects? And you're equating that to a modem vaccine that's been studied for decades and now has been administrated 1.5B doses?

Lol 1.5B doses proven safe. I'd say that's some pretty substantial data to rely on

At some point you have to stop living in fear

Oh the spin.....

7/10

To each his own.

bbarry464

Athletic Director
Gold Member
Nov 12, 2004
Wichita, KS
So somehow being someone who studies this type of stuff puts me at a disadvantage? It is amazing how people rationalize their thoughts. It would be like my saying that I am never going to hire a plumber to fix my water because they know too much about plumbing.

It would be more like asking the scientist at Monsanto if you should consume GMO's.

Reactions: infinity13

sklarbodds

Administrator
Nov 30, 2006
It would be more like asking the scientist at Monsanto if you should consume GMO's.

GMO's being safe is basically settled science at this point.

Jim14510

Nebraska Football Hall of Fame
Gold Member
Dec 19, 2017
RigidSickBrownbutterfly-max-1mb.gif
Thats some intense freedom right there.

damcde

All-American
Gold Member
Oct 22, 2007

Firstly, I don’t work at any of these companies. Nor do I have stock in them. So I have no skin in the game, outside of spending my entire adult life studying the immune response against pathogens. How that puts me “in the weeds” i fail to understand.

Secondly, as @sklarbodds has already pointed out, there has been no link between GMO plants and causing any health problems. My favorite thing about the whole GMO argument is that we have been messing with plant genetics for centuries. For example the mustard seed plant has been modified to make broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, etc. Pretty much anything in agriculture have been artificially selected for their genetics.

CG_Husker_22

Walk On
Gold Member
Jun 6, 2020
SF mask update:

I walked past 34 people this morning on my walk with the dog. Only 11 were unmasked. Remember everyone I saw was outside and socially distanced. As of May 6th 2/3 of all adults in SF had received at least one dose of the vaccine. My wife and I have good jobs and live in a high income neighborhood so I am sure that figure for our neighborhood is probably even higher. At this point all I can figure is that wearing a mask in SF is just another way to virtue signal “what side” you’re on, which again shows that it was never about “the science” with the woke crowd.

damcde

All-American
Gold Member
Oct 22, 2007

Man this guy must be an idiot.

With all due respect, but yes he is. The major UK variant emerged in early December, before vaccines really started being administered. Similarly, the South African strain emerged shortly afterwards, followed by the Brazil strain before vaccines started taking hold.

Additionally, for the UK strain, there was a nice paper from Israel that showed the Pfizer vaccine stopped the spread of B117 strain in elderly as then became vaccinated, vs younger unvaccinated people. Which directly contradicts what is being said. I believe the UK just had a big study also showing the Astazeneca and the Pfizer vaccines being very effective towards the B117 strain.

There is zero evidence that support that ADE (antibody dependent enhancement) is occurring with any strains. There have been numerous in vitro studies looking at the variants, which would have shown evidence of ADE, but absolutely none has. Additionally, there is absolutely no evidence that shows that people who are vaccinated get more severe disease when infected with the variants, in fact most shows the exact opposite.

Pretty much every virus/bacteria that we vaccinate against has the ability to make variants. However, we don’t see new variants emerge of polio, measles, mumps, etc.

infinity13

Redshirt Freshman
Gold Member
Oct 21, 2007
With all due respect, but yes he is. The major UK variant emerged in early December, before vaccines really started being administered. Similarly, the South African strain emerged shortly afterwards, followed by the Brazil strain before vaccines started taking hold.

Additionally, for the UK strain, there was a nice paper from Israel that showed the Pfizer vaccine stopped the spread of B117 strain in elderly as then became vaccinated, vs younger unvaccinated people. Which directly contradicts what is being said. I believe the UK just had a big study also showing the Astazeneca and the Pfizer vaccines being very effective towards the B117 strain.

There is zero evidence that support that ADE (antibody dependent enhancement) is occurring with any strains. There have been numerous in vitro studies looking at the variants, which would have shown evidence of ADE, but absolutely none has. Additionally, there is absolutely no evidence that shows that people who are vaccinated get more severe disease when infected with the variants, in fact most shows the exact opposite.

Pretty much every virus/bacteria that we vaccinate against has the ability to make variants. However, we don’t see new variants emerge of polio, measles, mumps, etc.

Nobel prize winner vs RSS poster....
Gotcha!

damcde

All-American
Gold Member
Oct 22, 2007
Nobel prize winner vs RSS poster....
Gotcha!

A Nobel prize winner they has gone completely off the deep end. Once again, there is absolutely zero scientific evidence that actually supports what he is saying.

This reminds me of the time in grad that I watched a Nobel Prize winner, Rolf Zinkernagel, give a presentation in a room full of the best immunologists in the world, telling us all that memory T cells don’t exist. Even though there are thousands of papers published on them (I personally have a couple). The best part was when his best data were hand written graphs. But he assured us all that the actual data looked just as good. The question section was amazing.

At that moment, I learned that just because you have a Nobel Prize, it doesn’t mean that you know everything.

On the flip side, I had a lunch with Peter Doherty, who won the Nobel prize along with Rolf. I remember him taking about how they got lucky discovering MHC restriction, happening to be looking at the right thing at the right time. Also some how he got onto the topic of how emus have intercourse (he is Australian is the only thing I can think of). The polar opposite of his counterpart.

infinity13

Redshirt Freshman
Gold Member
Oct 21, 2007
A Nobel prize winner they has gone completely off the deep end. Once again, there is absolutely zero scientific evidence that actually supports what he is saying.

This reminds me of the time in grad that I watched a Nobel Prize winner, Rolf Zinkernagel, give a presentation in a room full of the best immunologists in the world, telling us all that memory T cells don’t exist. Even though there are thousands of papers published on them (I personally have a couple). The best part was when his best data were hand written graphs. But he assured us all that the actual data looked just as good. The question section was amazing.

At that moment, I learned that just because you have a Nobel Prize, it doesn’t mean that you know everything.

On the flip side, I had a lunch with Peter Doherty, who won the Nobel prize along with Rolf. I remember him taking about how they got lucky discovering MHC restriction, happening to be looking at the right thing at the right time. Also some how he got onto the topic of how emus have intercourse (he is Australian is the only thing I can think of). The polar opposite of his counterpart.
Then we must agree that science, like you said is ever evolving and not everyone has the same opinion as you.

sklarbodds

Administrator
Nov 30, 2006
Then we must agree that science, like you said is ever evolving and not everyone has the same opinion as you.
LOL the problem is you're putting fringe discredited "scientists" in with science consensus. They are not the same and you shouldn't treat them as such.

infinity13

Redshirt Freshman
Gold Member
Oct 21, 2007
LOL the problem is you're putting fringe discredited "scientists" in with science consensus. They are not the same and you shouldn't treat them as such.
Funny how any Doctor or Scientists who goes against the approved narrative is bat shit crazy.

WesternNebraskan

College Football Hall of Fame
Gold Member
Jan 31, 2004
W. Nebraska
SF mask update:

I walked past 34 people this morning on my walk with the dog. Only 11 were unmasked. Remember everyone I saw was outside and socially distanced. As of May 6th 2/3 of all adults in SF had received at least one dose of the vaccine. My wife and I have good jobs and live in a high income neighborhood so I am sure that figure for our neighborhood is probably even higher. At this point all I can figure is that wearing a mask in SF is just another way to virtue signal “what side” you’re on, which again shows that it was never about “the science” with the woke crowd.

source.gif

• Haha
Reactions: Jim14510

damcde

All-American
Gold Member
Oct 22, 2007

There is a huge difference between science evolving and people having a different opinions as me and straight up saying things that there is absolutely zero data to support. There are a lot of things we can have disagreements on, such as how long the immunity generated vaccines will last, is it feasible to reach herd immunity in the traditional sense we think about for other pathogens such as polio, smallpox, etc. But what is being claimed in your video is directly proven against.

damcde

All-American
Gold Member
Oct 22, 2007
Funny how any Doctor or Scientists who goes against the approved narrative is bat shit crazy.

What approved narrative? If you think there is an approved narrative among scientists, I would invite you to go to any scientific conference.

infinity13

Redshirt Freshman
Gold Member
Oct 21, 2007
What approved narrative? If you think there is an approved narrative among scientists, I would invite you to go to any scientific conference.
The approved covid- vaccine- Big Pharma narrative.

damcde

All-American
Gold Member
Oct 22, 2007
The approved covid- vaccine- Big Pharma narrative.
The narrative that has been shown by dozens of papers from dozens of labs across the world at this point? Contrary to your opinion, we don’t have science email chain that tells scientists what their narrative should be. And even if there was, no one would listen anyways.

infinity13

Redshirt Freshman
Gold Member
Oct 21, 2007
The narrative that has been shown by dozens of papers from dozens of labs across the world at this point? Contrary to your opinion, we don’t have science email chain that tells scientists what their narrative should be. And even if there was, no one would listen anyways.
No the media takes care of that for you.
And I believe a vast majority of scientists are good people with great intentions
Does corruption exist in the scientific, medical, and pharmaceutical fields?

• Haha
Reactions: sklarbodds

biscuitbagger3

All-American
Gold Member
Aug 9, 2009
And I believe a vast majority of scientists are good people with great intentions
Whose living in fear again?

...TrueColors...

Jan 22, 2009
Masks and vaccines are a part of liberal religion. It makes them feel good because they believe that this is a good deed and yelling at people who disagree is making the world a better place.

WesternNebraskan

Gold Member
Jan 31, 2004
W. Nebraska
Masks and vaccines are a part of liberal religion. It makes them feel good because they believe that this is a good deed and yelling at people who disagree is making the world a better place.
Are vaccines necessary in your opinion or the whole thing was a hoax and they are just shooting saline solution/microchips in people's arms?

...TrueColors...

Jan 22, 2009
Are vaccines necessary in your opinion or the whole thing was a hoax and they are just shooting saline solution/microchips in people's arms?

Covid wasn’t a hoax.
Vaccines are necessary. In this case, they’re necessary for at risk people. It is a triumph of science that one was developed in such a record time and should be celebrated. It was completely out of line for Harris and Cuomo to say they don’t trust a vaccine if Trump tells people to take it.

Any more brain busters?

Reactions: PsychH

WesternNebraskan

Gold Member
Jan 31, 2004
W. Nebraska
Covid wasn’t a hoax.
Vaccines are necessary. In this case, they’re necessary for at risk people. It is a triumph of science that one was developed in such a record time and should be celebrated. It was completely out of line for Harris and Cuomo to say they don’t trust a vaccine if Trump tells people to take it.

Any more brain busters?
Harris and Cuomo told people not to take a vaccine Trump endorsed?

Clorox in the veins?

Which one?

I wasn't tuned as much as I should have been to the political shenanigans of covid.

damcde

All-American
Gold Member
Oct 22, 2007

Do you seriously think that most scientists get their information from the media? I may read a news article about a paper, but I will always hunt down the actual paper and read it before I make my conclusions. In fact, nothing pisses me off more than when a news article talks about a paper and doesn’t actual provide the link to the paper. I (nor do most other scientists) don’t need the media to tell me how to feel about science, I can come up with my own conclusions by going directly to the source. One of the advantages of reading 1000s of science papers a year.

As for the corruption, there is some level of corruption in absolutely every profession. I would like to think that all scientists are good people, but just like anything else that is unfortunately not true. Also, I am not going to say that all large pharmaceutical companies are great, especially when you get into the business side of things. However, I know a lot of people who work in these companies that are all great scientists that take their work very seriously. With this, I only know one ex-colleague who has not gotten vaccinated, in both academia or industry, and she was 8 months pregnant. Which is understandable, although she is vaccinated now.

Lastly, I will note that one of the beauties of science is that it self relegates itself pretty well. Peer review articles require methods sections that allow for people to repeat experiments, and make sure that things work as said. It is how the initial “findings” of people like Andrew Wakefield were found to be fabricated because there were serious flaws in the rational and data in his papers. When other labs tried to recapitulate his results, no one got the same results. The low and behold it was found that he fabricated his data, and we being paid by some lawyers to come up with his results.

Furthermore, most universities put a line between academia research (which is where most of the research in this country occurs) and industry. That doesn't mean that they don't work together, but you have to be crystal clear about that. Some go as far as to saying that you cannot as much as receive a pen from any outside company. Each year you have to fill out a bunch of conflict of interest forms, and if you get caught lying on these then the NIH and our University cuts off your funding. Which means no salary (most faculty at big universities pay themselves off of grants), no research space, and no researchers. Like I said above, you are going to have your handful of aholes that are going to still try and get away with somethings, but that is the by far in the minority.

WesternNebraskan

Gold Member
Jan 31, 2004
W. Nebraska
Do you seriously think that most scientists get their information from the media? I may read a news article about a paper, but I will always hunt down the actual paper and read it before I make my conclusions. In fact, nothing pisses me off more than when a news article talks about a paper and doesn’t actual provide the link to the paper. I (nor do most other scientists) don’t need the media to tell me how to feel about science, I can come up with my own conclusions by going directly to the source. One of the advantages of reading 1000s of science papers a year.

As for the corruption, there is some level of corruption in absolutely every profession. I would like to think that all scientists are good people, but just like anything else that is unfortunately not true. Also, I am not going to say that all large pharmaceutical companies are great, especially when you get into the business side of things. However, I know a lot of people who work in these companies that are all great scientists that take their work very seriously. With this, I only know one ex-colleague who has not gotten vaccinated, in both academia or industry, and she was 8 months pregnant. Which is understandable, although she is vaccinated now.

Lastly, I will note that one of the beauties of science is that it self relegates itself pretty well. Peer review articles require methods sections that allow for people to repeat experiments, and make sure that things work as said. It is how the initial “findings” of people like Andrew Wakefield were found to be fabricated because there were serious flaws in the rational and data in his papers. When other labs tried to recapitulate his results, no one got the same results. The low and behold it was found that he fabricated his data, and we being paid by some lawyers to come up with his results.

Furthermore, most universities put a line between academia research (which is where most of the research in this country occurs) and industry. That doesn't mean that they don't work together, but you have to be crystal clear about that. Some go as far as to saying that you cannot as much as receive a pen from any outside company. Each year you have to fill out a bunch of conflict of interest forms, and if you get caught lying on these then the NIH and our University cuts off your funding. Which means no salary (most faculty at big universities pay themselves off of grants), no research space, and no researchers. Like I said above, you are going to have your handful of aholes that are going to still try and get away with somethings, but that is the by far in the minority.
Average open scroller has a high school education, possibly GED. I wouldn't put much weight into any of the opinions given here.

damcde

All-American
Gold Member
Oct 22, 2007
Average open scroller has a high school education, possibly GED. I wouldn't put much weight into any of the opinions given here.

I don’t where you have been but open scrolling is serious business, where everyone has PhDs, and makes millions. We all have opinions that are better than each others Winking.

Reactions: biscuitbagger3