ADVERTISEMENT

No commits from Texas, California, or Florida yet...

HuskerNorm

Walk On
Jan 28, 2004
I realize we are in on Summerall (long shot) from Florida and Banks (better shot) from Texas today.... It is interesting to see how we have shifted more focus to the 500 mile radius and places like Georgia and Arizona. Is that a trend that continues moving forward? Or do people think that is just how this particular class has shaken out?

Personally I really like the 500 mile radius along with AZ and GA (and some AL)

Think we will be served well in these areas

Edit: And turning Held loose to do his thing wherever

Last edited:
I think our recruiting strategy is part marketing to kids who already identify with the Nebraska brand (think of the 500 mile radius) and part recruiting in areas where there are a high concentration of prospects and relatively low competition. In my mind, recruiting Georgia doesn't make a lot of sense as there is arguably the highest competition in the country. But Arizona makes a TON of sense. The Phoenix area is loaded with talent and beating the likes of Arizona and Arizona State seems a lot more feasible than beating Georgia, Alabama, Clemson, and the countless other schools in that region.

Another factor is you have to let coaches recruit where they have established a network from their previous gigs.

You said that I didn’t. Stop putting words in my mouth. I love the staff. But 0-200 is disappointing.

Reactions: zrob
You said that I didn’t. Stop putting words in my mouth. I love the staff. But 0-200 is disappointing.

you do not just get commitments from guys you give offers to...especially at NU...all of our 20+ commits took quite a bit of investment, even the local boys. Even if we gave 65 offers from to Frost to Florida and Texas, they may not have prioritized those 65...we have a number of recruits with Alabama offers but it doesn't necessarily mean we beat alabama...it just may be that Alabama did not pursue once they offered, or they cooled. It is idiotic to spend all of your time recruiting 1500 miles away from your school, to win a national title, we need to get the top 2 players from each surrounding state, and then pull out players like Adrian from farther away. NU/Frost will provide a natural filter to "me" players and NFL early out guys so we may never have the explosive talent of OSU, Alabama, Clemson but we may have more continuity and stability and be able to pop a huge season. I mean Wisky, Iowa have been 1 game away from the playoff and we have more talent coming to campus than those teams have had on their best teams.

I think our recruiting strategy is part marketing to kids who already identify with the Nebraska brand (think of the 500 mile radius) and part recruiting in areas where there are a high concentration of prospects and relatively low competition. In my mind, recruiting Georgia doesn't make a lot of sense as there is arguably the highest competition in the country. . . Another factor is you have to let coaches recruit where they have established a network from their previous gigs.

Your last point relates to your first point. Recruit the heck out of Georgia because you have connections there. You have Eric Johnson's performance school there which is a year-round promotion program for the Huskers. You have the current staff's connections coming from Central/Northern Florida and reaching into Georgia. You have players from Georgia who are at the center of the program to plants the seeds locally. You have two major Universities in Georgia (UGA/GT) against which to compete (as opposed to at least 4 in Florida and 4 in Texas). Arizona has two major universities in state also but also only has 65% of the population that Georgia has.

Your last point relates to your first point. Recruit the heck out of Georgia because you have connections there. You have Eric Johnson's performance school there which is a year-round promotion program for the Huskers. You have the current staff's connections coming from Central/Northern Florida and reaching into Georgia. You have players from Georgia who are at the center of the program to plants the seeds locally. You have two major Universities in Georgia (UGA/GT) against which to compete (as opposed to at least 4 in Florida and 4 in Texas). Arizona has two major universities in state also but also only has 65% of the population that Georgia has.

Recruiting in Georgia means you're recruiting against Georgia, Georgia Tech, Clemson, Alabama, Florida, Auburn, Tennessee, South Carolina, and on and on and on. Sure, if the coaches have established relationships with coaches in this area, you might take a shot or two, but keep in mind, at Nebraska we can't build a program around being on the third or fourth tier in the pecking order like maybe you could if you were at UCF. That's my opinion, anyway.

Recruiting in Georgia means you're recruiting against Georgia, Georgia Tech, Clemson, Alabama, Florida, Auburn, Tennessee, South Carolina, and on and on and on. Sure, if the coaches have established relationships with coaches in this area, you might take a shot or two, but keep in mind, at Nebraska we can't build a program around being on the third or fourth tier in the pecking order like maybe you could if you were at UCF. That's my opinion, anyway.
8 kids from SEC country, 1 from Tx, 2 from AZ and several kids who we beat out multiple B1G, SEC (including Bama and Clemson), Pac 12 teams for.....The kids we took from the Georgia area were NOT 3rd tier recruits.

Beckton has VERY strong ties in GA

the two safeties were from him and Wright is a legacy ..Fisher right now is a lot like Marvin..really good coach but not so much recruiter

We will do well in GA, not looking for a full class just 2-3/year

GA is a no brainer to recruit due to the population density (& constant growth) in ATL & the sheer volume of talent. Lots of sleepers in ATL area that get overlooked. Plus, GA is easier to recruit than FL because it's so much more condensed than FL. In GA you primarily have the ATL area & a few pockets of schools that produce in South GA. That's it.

GA is a no brainer to recruit due to the population density (& constant growth) in ATL & the sheer volume of talent. Lots of sleepers in ATL area that get overlooked. Plus, GA is easier to recruit than FL because it's so much more condensed than FL. In GA you primarily have the ATL area & a few pockets of schools that produce in South GA. That's it.

I really like the football culture down there as well. People breathe the game..

Need to hit the southeast hard no matter which state. There are studs all over the region. Doesn't matter if its Florida or not.

No hawaii guys either. UCF just got the Hawaii career passing leader to sign. Thats what being a defending national champ will get you.

Reactions: timnsun
I realize we are in on Summerall (long shot) from Florida and Banks (better shot) from Texas today.... It is interesting to see how we have shifted more focus to the 500 mile radius and places like Georgia and Arizona. Is that a trend that continues moving forward? Or do people think that is just how this particular class has shaken out?

There's still plenty of work to recruit IL, MN, IN, KS, Mo, co, ect. Less alone rx, fl, ca

We definitely seem to have our strategy. I think CA has been down as of late and although we looked at a couple of guys in the Inland Empire, I don't think we did much in the traditional areas this year.

Texas is a saturated environment for recruiting - local schools and anyone in the B12 and even the SEC goes there, lots of talent, but hard to evaluate and the big school relationships take time (big school coaches have a lot of consolidated power there). Add in some of the criticisms of the players from there (maxed out by end of HS, soft from running pass competitions all summer, etc.) and I can see why we want to take a targeted approach there. Banks is a perfect example as a converted BB player who has a TON of development left .. not only from TX, but we're looking for tons of those guys who the coaches and Duval/Ellis can work with.

FL might be a timing thing. Some of the kids Frost was in on last year aren't to the level we want now that he's at NE, and there is some in-state buzz going on. We are hitting the SEC area really hard and doing a great job there, IMO.

I think a lot of our strategy is built on what we need for our systems, and on the kind of kids Duval/Ellis will have potential to build on. Going forward, we NEED those two to give us a difference against the competition

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT