ADVERTISEMENT

No answers. Hell, I don't even know the questions anymore.

Pennsyhusker

Athletic Director
Aug 6, 2009
Harveys Lake, PA
Something is clearly wrong with this football team. But I do not know what it is. I don't even know what questions to ask with regard to fixing it. It is always easy to say "fire the coaches." It is always easy to blame "culture" or "lack of talent." But these are talented athletes and you have to think our coaches are not as bad as they seem. Or so I think.

So what is the problem? Why do we never play with discipline? Why do we never hold a lead? Why does our defense leak like a sieve at critical moments? Why can't we stop pissing down our own legs?

I have no clue

Something is clearly wrong with this football team. But I do not know what it is. I don't even know what questions to ask with regard to fixing it. It is always easy to say "fire the coaches." It is always easy to blame "culture" or "lack of talent." But these are talented athletes and you have to think our coaches are not as bad as they seem. Or so I think.

So what is the problem? Why do we never play with discipline? Why do we never hold a lead? Why does our defense leak like a sieve at critical moments? Why can't we stop pissing down our own legs?

I have no clue
If I had to point to one area, it would be the OL. They can't open holes for the running game, can't pass protect and get too many penalties.

Our offensive system is something created by a ten year old on madden on the JV setting. Looks fantastic on paper but doesnt work. Thats problem #1.

I havent been to a practice this season but my 2nd thought is I doubt we are being realistic in practice and holding people accountable for mistakes. Just a guess.

We continue playing a center who cant snap. One of our best secondary guys rides the bench.

Scott Frost is failing and too stubborn to admit it.

The biggest bright spot is a QB sneak from under center from the 1 yard line. When that is the coaching highlight of the day, you know something is very wrong.

Doesn't matter at this point. 2 more losing seasons at the most. Either Frost turns it around or we have no other choice but to fire him and move on. This program doesn't deserve the effort it takes to ask whats wrong anymore.

Our offensive system is something created by a ten year old on madden on the JV setting. Looks fantastic on paper but doesnt work. Thats problem #1.

I havent been to a practice this season but my 2nd thought is I doubt we are being realistic in practice and holding people accountable for mistakes. Just a guess.

We continue playing a center who cant snap. One of our best secondary guys rides the bench.

The biggest bright spot is a QB sneak from under center from the 1 yard line. When that is the coaching highlight of the day, you know something is very wrong.
Memorial stadium needs to go from turf field to cardboard. We always look better on paper.

Nobody has truly been held accountable snaps wise in the 3 years Frost has been here. The fact Jurgens can consistently suck at snapping the ball and still play is mind-blowing. He sat for half a series and it was arguably the best the offense looked all day when he was on the bench. Then he's right back out there to start the 2nd half.

The penalties never truly get corrected because there's no consequence for committing one. Reimers made a really late hit out of bounds, didn't sit once. The right guard Farniok missed blocks, wasn't pulled - ends up biting them in the ass on the last offensive play. There were 4 penalties today and they were all killer. Will we see that change next game? I highly doubt it. Every single game this year Nebraska has had more penalties than their opponent.

Fundamentals and accountability are severely lacking (among other things).

Notice a pattern in the responses? It was one oline person then another then another. Farniok uses terrible technique, drops his head like Wilson did last week, Benhart holds when all he needed to do was push his guy out, Piper has motion penalty. We can't pick up LBs coming, run a play and for the life of me we don't have anyone blocking at the point of attack and our RB has no where to go. We are always playing behind the chains it seems because of our stupidity.

The question is who goes?
I get a different oline coach first thing. I know he's a Husker but we are not getting good technique and solid assignment play.

Next, the D needs to be revamped. I give them credit today, we didn't blitz as much, relied on safeties coming up. We finally stopped the short crossing route although they couldn't catch the low ball.

QB play is killing us. There are guys open most plays, but we are late on reading and seeing them.

This brings into question our QB coaching. Who is actually doing it? It stinks.

Last edited:
Doesn't matter at this point. 2 more losing seasons at the most. Either Frost turns it around or we have no other choice but to fire him and move on. This program doesn't deserve the effort it takes to ask whats wrong anymore.
I'm seeing good effort out of a lot of guys. But they are flat out poorly coached and prepared. Every week we are our own worst enemy. Frost is out of his depth.

trying to run frosts offence takes
1. a passing qb, with some wheels, we have a running qb who can kinda pass
2. a pass blocking oline, we kinda have that but they get pressured cause we don't have #1
3. receivers, we had one, he transferred to minnisota, so our running qb has nobody to throw to except big slow tight ends
4. a healthy rb (one above 125 lbs.), who can find holes, we had one , he's injured

with the above listed we stall on every drive which puts pressure on our defense.

this is why things look like a dumpster fire...plus the fact since we are a pass happy team now we recruit against everyone else for a 1., 2., 3. & 4.

Reactions: tarheelhusker

I have no clue

The answer is up to the man who has made 15 million for 10 wins and costs $25 million to be rid of.

Listen, Scott is a relatively new father, and I’m not sure he really wanted to move back and I imagine his wife really doesn’t love it here. He lost his dad and nothing has gone right, he’s had some really good wins on the recruiting trail that have left pretty quick on him. On a human level, I have a lot of empathy for him, but ultimately he’s paid a shitload of money to lead this program and currently is the worst head coach since Bill Jennings on the Husker sideline.

Notice a pattern in the responses? It was one oline person then another then another. Farniok uses terrible technique, drops his head like Wilson did last week, Benhart holds when all he needed to do was push his guy out, Piper has motion penalty. We can't pick up LBs coming, run a play and for the life of me we don't have anyone blocking at the point of attack and our RB has no where to go. We are always playing behind the chains it seems because of our stupidity.

I get a different oline coach first thing. I know he's a Husker but we are not getting food technique and solid assignment play.

Next, the D needs to be revamped. I give them credit today, we didn't blitz as much, relied on safeties coming up. We finally stopped the short crossing route although they couldn't catch the low ball.

QB play is killing us. There are guys open most plays, but we are late on reading and seeing them.

Good post. I get the impression Verduzco likes to run drills and look at film, but he's getting no development out of his unit. There's actually a lot of regression.

Reactions: tarheelhusker
2. a pass blocking oline, we kinda have that but they get pressured cause we don't have #1
3. receivers, we had one, he transferred to minnisota, so our running qb has nobody to throw to except big slow tight ends
4. a healthy rb, who can find holes, we had one , he's injured

with the above listed we stall on every drive which puts pressure on our defense.

this is why things look like a dumpster fire...plus the fact since we are a pass happy team now we recruit against everyone else for a 1., 2., 3. & 4.

Who transferred to Minnesota? Spielman went to TCU and can’t see the field

Reactions: BleedRed78
4. a healthy rb (one above 125 lbs.), who can find holes, we had one , he's injured

I'll sum it up for you: Frosts offense isn't working here and there is no reason to believe it ever will. Chinanders defense isn't working here and there is no reason to think it ever will.

When the same issues keep happening it clearly points to the coaching. The coaches allow it or don't correct it.

No culture and coaching that hasn't been able to build it. The defense, for example, has no defenders that experienced playing along side good defenders. No institutional knowledge to pass on to younger teammates.

Has to be developed by coaches and your coaches recently haven't done this.

Of course firing coaches is costly and you can dig yourself a nice hole firing one after another. Which is where you seem to be at.

I get a different oline coach first thing. I know he's a Husker but we are not getting food technique and solid assignment play.

Good analysis

I have no clue
The answer is everything. Everything is wrong with this team. We're an incredibly bad team. We have incredibly bad coaching and incredibly bad players.

Great post! Correct on all accounts. I think Scott Frost has lost this team. We look lost all the time. There will be transfers and decommits because who in their right mind would want to play for Nebraska and these incompetent horrible coaches! High School coaches can coach better!

this is why things look like a dumpster fire...plus the fact since we are a pass happy team now we recruit against everyone else for a

The bottom line is it come down to coaching. Frost needs to clean house of his staff and start over again. Though the last time a Nebraska coach did that he was fired the next year.

Although we have seen improvements, if we want any chance of winning consistently in the future we gotta let Chins go. After rewatching some of the Iowa game, they could have won by a lot more had Petras hit his open receivers. Chins is a huge liability and his defense only works if we’re putting up 40+ which we’ll probably never do in this conference. The whole philosophy approach is backwards with Frost. Looks like he has to adapt to the B10.

Good to hear all the responses, as yes I also don't know what questions to ask anymore Pennsyhusker! I'm a little older than most on the board and I go back far enough to remember Solich playing fullback for the Huskers!! In my shallow thinking and simplying our problems of fixing our mistakes, I ask myself, "what is the first thing you would build in a football team"? A good offensive line! They can make good running backs, very good running backs and give our Qbacks a feeling of security! Half the time the defensive line is in our backfield and chasing our Qbacks as they try to connect with wideouts or run themselves! Our offensive line NEEDS a lot of improvement!!!! All college teams that I watch make mistakes during the games, but a good or very good offensive will cover up a lot of the problems!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT