ADVERTISEMENT

No ACT/SAT for 2020 recruits

Prob hurts Betts actually if he doesn’t get to count all the work he has been doing his senior year. Says meets course requirements before senior year.

Reactions: Flick2.0
He may get passing grades but not an actual letter grade. My district is now saying that no student is allowed to be given an F and if you give a D they are auto-enrolled for summer school and if you give a D you need to have documentation as to what you tried to do to help, contact log with parents and plan with counselors. Basically every kid gets a C at worst and if they dont do the work we are not allowed to mark it as a zero it just doesnt count. I have a student who had a 7% but now he will have a C on his final report card

LET'S GO!!!!!!! he ain't coming to NU to play skool!!!
You know this is a sad but fair point. Many of these kids are only doing the school thing because that is the only way they can play football and get to the next level. For those type of kids. It is really pointless to force them into a mold they weren't meant to ever fit.

You know this is a sad but fair point. Many of these kids are only doing the school thing because that is the only way they can play football and get to the next level. For those type of kids. It is really pointless to force them into a mold they weren't meant to ever fit.
the only sad part is the NCAA's constant rouse to make us think they should put the 'student' before the 'athlete'.

allow them to make what they're worth, it's no longer sad, it's business. just like the NCAA treats it.

Reactions: SomedayHusker
He may get passing grades but not an actual letter grade. My district is now saying that no student is allowed to be given an F and if you give a D they are auto-enrolled for summer school and if you give a D you need to have documentation as to what you tried to do to help, contact log with parents and plan with counselors. Basically every kid gets a C at worst and if they dont do the work we are not allowed to mark it as a zero it just doesnt count. I have a student who had a 7% but now he will have a C on his final report card
WOW. Doesn't really pay to work at it does it??

the only sad part is the NCAA's constant rouse to make us think they should put the 'student' before the 'athlete'.

allow them to make what they're worth, it's no longer sad, it's business. just like the NCAA treats it.
Its sad because. Odds say under 2% of college football players will ever make it to the NFL. Even less than that will have long career where they will be able to save enough to retire and never have to work again in the workforce.
Putting the focus more on school allows these other 99.9% to have a long successful career outside of football.

This says meet core requirements BEFORE their senior year. I thought he had to make a bunch of stuff up.
I suspect that means they had to meet the core requirements by the end of their senior year. In other words just finish school. IF you don't learn anything that last 8 weeks, it probably wouldn't matter to 99% of them anyway. IF they need it in college they can get tutoring to catch up. It makes no sense for them to have to meet their core requirements before their senior year. But then again it is the NCAA so who knows.

Reactions: bluenrg
I suspect that means they had to meet the core requirements by the end of their senior year. In other words just finish school. IF you don't learn anything that last 8 weeks, it probably wouldn't matter to 99% of them anyway. IF they need it in college they can get tutoring to catch up. It makes no sense for them to have to meet their core requirements before their senior year. But then again it is the NCAA so who knows.

Good point. How many kids would have even finished all their core requirements prior to senior year starting?

Good point. How many kids would have even finished all their core requirements prior to senior year starting?
I'm pretty sure that those last 8 weeks of high school for me were pretty much the same as the other 24 weeks of my senior year. Mostly wasted time.:oops: College chemistry and math would have been a whole bunch easier if I had paid attention in high school. Oh well. By the grace of God it worked out for me.

Question is what are "core course requirements"...
Core courses are math, science, English and social studies. They only consider those for eligibility. Elective courses don’t count.

Prob hurts Betts actually if he doesn’t get to count all the work he has been doing his senior year. Says meets course requirements before senior year.
I agree. I believe Betts was using his senior year to raise his GPA. If the NCAA disallows that now, Betts may be ineligible (at least temporarily). If he finishes strong, NU could appeal and then we could wait out the summer for a ruling.

I do not have inside knowledge on this. Only going by what I've pieced together from conversations.

John_J_Rambo said:

Its sad because. Odds say under 2% of college football players will ever make it to the NFL. Even less than that will have long career where they will be able to save enough to retire and never have to work again in the workforce.
Putting the focus more on school allows these other 99.9% to have a long successful career outside of football.
[/quote]
Bingo. For a very large portion of athletes, football is the key to a brighter future by allowing them a reason to go to school affordably. The goal should be to use football to get an education, not the other way around.

99.9% of college grads have long successful careers?

Thats news to me.

Are you 100% sure now?
I don’t think the waiver “hurts” Betts or helps him. It simply doesn’t apply to him.

However, it does mean the NCAA is willing to lower its standards a bit so it gives the Husker staff an “out” to apply for an individual waiver for him if needed. Might not work but a much better chance of getting him in on a waiver this year vs any other year.

Does this get Betts in? Help us anywhere else? It's good for the basketball team if they're hoping for Sanogo to reclassify.
I think COVID19 will accelerate the push to move more colleges to drop the SAT/ACT in admissions. Things have been trending that way anyway since students started taking test preparation classes that give them a reasonable advantage over peers that take classes that actually matter.

Reactions: headcard
Good thing my son took both took the ACT and SAT in the fall—- he’s a junior so he can chill and let the colleges come to him as a lot of high schoolers take it in the spring. Thank god he did well

I think COVID19 will accelerate the push to move more colleges to drop the SAT/ACT in admissions. Things have been trending that way anyway since students started taking test preparation classes that give them a reasonable advantage over peers that take classes that actually matter.

Top colleges will always demand standardized testing....

Top colleges will always demand standardized testing....
Several Ivy League schools have already moved away from requiring standardized test schools. More and more top colleges were already moving in this direction.

Several Ivy League schools have already moved away from requiring standardized test schools. More and more top colleges were already moving in this direction.

that’s good to know.... he’s going to apply to them and with a good score on both tests he will stand out then. I just can’t see how they are going to differentiate kids from such different schools/regions.

Bingo. For a very large portion of athletes, football is the key to a brighter future by allowing them a reason to go to school affordably. The goal should be to use football to get an education, not the other way around.[/QUOTE]
I would gladly support a study (legitimate of course) on the "brighter future theory". Just because you heard or saw a few doesnt extrapolate to thousands. I think you should take a hard look in the mirror. Reflects alot like gladiator theory if your honest. Thats OK, welcome to the human condition/race.

"He ain't coming here to play skool!"..

.. let them (some, not all) have that trashy outlook. It's comical.

Last edited:

Another iowa genius comes out of the fake wood laminate.

That’s a quote from Cardale Jones, smart guy.

Keep staring nonstop at the husker board, mouth agape, drool running down the front of your gravy-stained coveralls, though. It’s all you cavemen have for entertainment.

iowan in arkansas! Talk about the pinnacle of inbred. Your family tree didn't get past the roots.

Another iowa genius comes out of the fake wood laminate.

That’s a quote from Cardale Jones, smart guy.

Keep staring nonstop at the husker board, mouth agape, drool running down the front of your gravy-stained coveralls, though. It’s all you cavemen have for entertainment.

iowan in arkansas! Talk about the pinnacle of inbred. Your family tree didn't get past the roots.
Silly, unfounded assumptions that a) I keep staring nonstop at the Nebraska board and b) I'm inbred. Good God man.. you're quite the mature adult.

And I don't care where the quote originated - you seem to support it. How dare the NCAA try to get the kid educated to go along with their obvious #1 interest in most cases - their chosen sport. Pretty ridiculous huh...

Silly, unfounded assumptions that a) I keep staring nonstop at the Nebraska board and b) I'm inbred. Good God man.. you're quite the mature adult.

And I don't care where the quote originated - you seem to support it. How dare the NCAA try to get the kid educated to go along with their obvious #1 interest in most cases - their chosen sport. Pretty ridiculous huh...
LaughingLaughingLaughingLaughingLaughingLaughing

Hit the bricks, yokel!

the NCAA, like every other business, cares first and foremost about making money. School is a way they can make money off players without additional, and rightly earned, compensation.

If you think the ncaa cares one iota whether or not football players are educated, you're even dumber than I though.

have to agree with you. That’s a real trashy look on college football. The thing is, Betts isn’t a dumb kid. He was just lazy and made some bad life decisions as a kid. He’s honestly tried to turn the corner and was making great strides, just sucks if he’s going to come up short due to the mess we are in.

But yes the “we don’t play School” mentality is trashy AF. Especially for a team representing the B1G. Which was a quote for a tOSU player, cardale jones. And where is CJ now? Almost broke and unemployed. Yes the too cool for school act usually pays off doesn’t it? :(

Yeah CJ made the NFL and got a paycheck. Not enough to retire on and he wasn’t smart enough to invest well the money he was lucky to get. Got a 2nd chance in the XFL, was actually benched before the shut down and now it’s filed for bankruptcy.

let’s see what cardale is up to in ten years shall we? Or hell 5 years?

he may not play school but sounds like he will be playing unemployment and food stamps. CJ was and is a dumb person. 100%

Last edited:
have to agree with you. That’s a real trashy look on college football. The thing is, Betts isn’t a dumb kid. He was just lazy and made some bad life decisions as a kid. He’s honestly tried to turn the corner and was making great strides, just sucks if he’s going to come up short due to the mess we are in.

But yes the “we don’t play School” mentality is trashy AF. Especially for a team representing the B1G. Which was a quote for a tOSU player, cardale jones. And where is CJ now? Almost broke and unemployed. Yes the too cool for school act usually pays off doesn’t it? :(

Yeah CJ made the NFL and got a paycheck. Not enough to retire on and he wasn’t smart enough to invest well the money he was lucky to get. Got a 2nd chance in the XFL, was actually benched before the shut down and now it’s filed for bankruptcy.

he may not play school but sounds like he will be playing unemployment and food stamps. CJ was and is a dumb person. 100%
Cardale Jones graduated in 2017, using the paycheck he made from the NFL.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.si...cardale-jones-graduation-cap-ohio-state-tweet

You are really terrible at this whole message board thing. Have you posted anything accurate, ever? Seems every time you post I have to come along and correct you, Creighton fan.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bigred_b1624
Cardale Jones graduated in 2017, using the paycheck he made from the NFL.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.si...cardale-jones-graduation-cap-ohio-state-tweet

You are really terrible at this whole message board thing. Have you posted anything accurate, ever? Seems every time you post I have come along and correct you, Creighton fan.
You my friend are trashy and inaccurate. Never said he didn’t graduate. Please point to me where I said that Iron Eagle. I said his mentality was trashy for saying that.

he himself poked fun at it but you used it like it was a truth.

You my friend are trashy and inaccurate. Never said he didn’t graduate. Please point to me where I said that Iron Eagle. I said his mentality was trashy for saying that

nice try, bluejay. seems he played school after all.

take your awful, and, frankly, borderline racist, takes elsewhere.

nice try, bluejay. seems he played school after all.

take your awful, and, frankly, borderline racist, takes elsewhere.

Mods this is where I drawl the line. I’ve been on this board for many many years. This man just called me a racist. Please do something about this.

RollingLaugh

give me a break
You give me a break. You don’t call people racists on this board without knowing the person at all. So I like the bluejays but yet you continually attack me without know a dam thing about me. My wife is mixed, my mother in law is black. This is ridiculous you asshat. You’ve got problems. Major problems and this goes beyond sports

@kaz36 Look I’m fine for bickering. Most of this is usually tongue-in-cheek anyways. But this is the first time in my life on this board I’ve actually ever felt wronged. This isn’t the first time this guys gone too far on this board. Please explain why he’s allowed to do crap like this?

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT