ADVERTISEMENT

NIL Strikes Again

When money is the only reason somebody accepts a position, you rarely get the best version of that person...and two wrongs don't make a right. Kids a dick for quitting on his team. If it was my son, i'd have advised him to finish the season and consider the portal. If UNLV goes on to suck for the rest of the year, I have a hard time imagining he'll be welcomed back with open arms by everyone so the portal is probably in his future regardless...and I wonder if this helped or hurt his future NIL value going forward? ..kid just told the world he'll quit on a dime as soon as he hits a headwind.

Last edited:
Don’t these NIL agreements come with binding contracts? I bet they do. So how is it that they are, apparently, not paying this guy? I am confused. Are we sure this is about NIL?
That’s the problem they don’t. Rhule has mentioned many times in the presser kids getting promises and then getting burned. I don’t like anyone quitting BUT if you take a job and they say they are going to pay you $100k and they pay you $50k - there isn’t anyone on this board who would just gut it out. Him doing this exposes the snakes behind the lies and will help drive change … good on him.

That’s the problem they don’t. Rhule has mentioned many times in the presser kids getting promises and then getting burned. I don’t like anyone quitting BUT if you take a job and they say they are going to pay you $100k and they pay you $50k - there isn’t anyone on this board who would just gut it out. Him doing this exposes the snakes behind the lies and will help drive change … good on him.
Yeah, I know the old adage of "Never quit, Never surrender" (Or was that, No Retreat, No Surrender? God, why did America fall in love with bad karate type movies in the late 80's) is all romantic and stuff but, **** that.

1. If you are not getting paid what you were told, you need to do what is best for you.
2. I know a poster posted that people who take a job for the money are not usually going to work out well, or something like that, but most of us are taking the job because of money or some aspect of finances.

Yeah, I know the old adage of "Never quit, Never surrender" (Or was that, No Retreat, No Surrender? God, why did America fall in love with bad karate type movies in the late 80's) is all romantic and stuff but, **** that.

1. If you are not getting paid what you were told, you need to do what is best for you.
2. I know a poster posted that people who take a job for the money are not usually going to work out well, or something like that, but most of us are taking the job because of money or some aspect of finances.

If football was a one man sport, fine. Quit. But it isn't. This kids issue is with a company or business, not the University, coaching staff, or teamates. Yet who gets stung the hardest when he decided to quit? All those people I just listed

....and these deals aren't supposed to be pay for play deals anyway right? Thats illegal. So how bout instead you break up with the company, as opposed to the people who had zero to do with any of this? ..especially after having achieved so much together?

Greed from the players and their guardians will be a big factor in the success of college football.

Shame on this kid. If I was a current or future teammate, I wouldn't want this guy on my team.

There is ample opportunity for things like to occur. One person is presenting a NIL contract while another is telling the player they can give them something else. A contract is a contract but if I am guessing man, I would say there was something verbal that was not lived up to.

The kid is walking away from a lot it sounds. Gotta be more to the story.

"@LasVegasLocally

UNLV Football quarterback Matt Sluka just quit on the team. Rumor has it he's been offered more NIL money from another school. College football is in big trouble..."

....what if this is what really happened? everyone OK with that?
This would be different from my opinion above. Would he be able to leave immediately and start playing this season like our TE from LSU?

If not, I’m not sure why he would quit if he can’t transfer until next year. I thought the article said that he was promised x and after repeated attempts to have x it became obvious to him that they weren’t going to pay it.

Reactions: litespeedhuskerfan
NIL is the bane of college athletics. I was fine with stipends for actual "name image and likeness" but what we have now is nothing short of the "wild west" of financial debauchery.

It's almost as if the NCAA, after fighting against the push for years...Said, "Fvck it! Let em have it all and we'll set back and watch what happens."

College kids getting paid like this takes away from the spirit of the game. And schools are at fault for this greed run amok.

This would be different from my opinion above. Would he be able to leave immediately and start playing this season like our TE from LSU?

If not, I’m not sure why he would quit if he can’t transfer until next year. I thought the article said that he was promised x and after repeated attempts to have x it became obvious to him that they weren’t going to pay it.

none of us know what happened and we are going to get different stories depending on who is telling it..the kid will say he didn't get what was promised, the people stung by this will claim he left for a higher bidder. Regardless, my opinion is unchanged. He shoulda stuck it out and broke ties with the company and then revaluated at end of season. Dick move on his part either way.

If football was a one man sport, fine. Quit. But it isn't. This kids issue is with a company or business, not the University, coaching staff, or teamates. Yet who gets stung the hardest when he decided to quit? All those people I just listed

....and these deals aren't supposed to be pay for play deals anyway right? Thats illegal. So how bout instead you break up with the company, as opposed to the people who had zero to do with any of this? ..especially after having achieved so much together?
As this becomes more of a business teammates understand the situation. That’s why NFL guys don’t shame their teammates for holding out when they know they deserve money.

But again I ask - would you work for 1/2 the salary promised to you? You have a team at work that you may be leading and working with that your leaving would impact. Would gut it out making 1/2 what your were promised?

We can say it’s different because the money isn’t coming from the staff and the university but they are intertwined. Does Rhule think Dylan comes here just because it’s Dear Ol’ Nebraska and his dad came here? That was a huge help - but the NIL played the dominant factor. If 1890 decided to cut their promise in half I would expect Dylan to do the same and even though it would suck - I could understand.

Dylan will be offered obscene money to leave after this year. I hope we can match it and keep him.

NIL is the bane of college athletics. I was fine with stipends for actual "name image and likeness" but what we have now is nothing short of the "wild west" of financial debauchery.

It's almost as if the NCAA, after fighting against the push for years...Said, "Fvck it! Let em have it all and we'll set back and watch what happens."

College kids getting paid like this takes away from the spirit of the game. And schools are at fault for this greed run amok.
I watched a great interview with Greg Sankey, nick saban and Marty Smith talking about all of this. The ncaa and commissioners are really handcuffed right now. The basic gist of it is this: they want rules and regulations but there are so many ongoing lawsuits and pending court rulings that they can’t really do anything. The courts opened this door but the process is ongoing and no one knows what and how they’re legally allowed to do to regulate it at this point. It won’t always be like this, it’s just what we’re stuck with until the legal process plays out.

There will absolutely be rats sniffing around DR for his services at a high price next year. There probably are feelers out there already and there should be with the rules college ball is operating in. I just hope we can match or exceed some of the numbers that will be tossed around, it’s filthy out there.

But again I ask - would you work for 1/2 the salary promised to you? You have a team at work that you may be leading and working with that your leaving would impact. Would gut it out making 1/2 what your were promised?

We don't know what he was promised and what he really received, you are assuming these two things. Your question is a hypothetical that has nothing to do with this deal, since we don't know the deets...but to answer your question, I would not continue to do my job for half the salary promised...but that's not what this is. NIL is not pay to play, that is 1000% illegal.

He didn’t really quit. He has decided to redshirt.

I say good on him for calling them out for failing to honor their promises, especially when you hold up your end of the bargain by signing with that school. Whoever promised that money is the villain here.

...he left little doubt that he quit because of the $$$

Reactions: leodisflowers
As this becomes more of a business teammates understand the situation. That’s why NFL guys don’t shame their teammates for holding out when they know they deserve money.

We can say it’s different because the money isn’t coming from the staff and the university but they are intertwined. Does Rhule think Dylan comes here just because it’s Dear Ol’ Nebraska and his dad came here? That was a huge help - but the NIL played the dominant factor. If 1890 decided to cut their promise in half I would expect Dylan to do the same and even though it would suck - I could understand.

Dylan will be offered obscene money to leave after this year. I hope we can match it and keep him.
How much money was Sluka offered at UNLV?

Don’t these NIL agreements come with binding contracts? I bet they do. So how is it that they are, apparently, not paying this guy? I am confused. Are we sure this is about NIL?

I’m guessing, speculating, that he didn’t have proper representation (lawyer/agent) and the fine print got him. As they say the big bold print promises everything and the fine print takes it away…

Reactions: baseball31ne
If the money is on the word of someone and a handshake then it isn’t a job and it isn’t a guarantee of the money.

NIL today is nothing of name image and likeness, it’s get paid to play.

If I’m a teammate and he is redshirting, the green jersey should be on him 24/7. He left the team worse off because he chose to be off the field, only thing injured is his ego and pocket book, allegedly.

Good he called out the lie, if he actually did, but if this is a desire for more cash to play, he is a tool.

People talked and acted like the college kids should be paid and treated like the pros with the things they should be given since the schools are making a ton of money. Okay, well here is the result. Thanks for getting your way fellas

The ncaa didn’t throw their hands up and say f it

They lost every single court case in which they attempted to keep money out of players’ hands

They do not

Mike Gundy has spoken extensively about this

Well from what I understand, they can be binding, but many aren’t. It’s a case by case situation depending on how you/your representation and the company/collective negotiate the contract. At least that’s how I understood it.

When money is the only reason somebody accepts a position, you rarely get the best version of that person...and two wrongs don't make a right. Kids a dick for quitting on his team. If it was my son, i'd have advised him to finish the season and consider the portal. If UNLV goes on to suck for the rest of the year, I have a hard time imagining he'll be welcomed back with open arms by everyone so the portal is probably in his future regardless...and I wonder if this helped or hurt his future NIL value going forward? ..kid just told the world he'll quit on a dime as soon as he hits a headwind.
He's a fifth year senior. If he played it out, he was done. If he redshirts, he can play, and theoretically get paid what is promised, next year from another program.

He's a fifth year senior. If he played it out, he was done. If he redshirts, he can play, and theoretically get paid what is promised, next year from another program.

....sooooo, he's going to play college football for 6 years? sweet. gawd this deal gets worse

So from everything I’ve read, it sounds like the NCAA literally cannot do anything or even attempt to enforce anything at this point because of the previous and ongoing court cases, leaving them completely powerless. The question is, who or how do they even begin to get a semblance of structure behind any of this going forward? Is it conference commissioners or AD’s all coming together and starting to iron something out? Even if they do, it seems the legal process has already said they won’t be able to do anything like that unless the players become employees, and at that point you can start to enforce contracts and such, but this then completely removes the amateur athletics piece of everything and becomes a professional league of some kind. At that point, I would assumed even being a student would be totally optional as well for these athletes. At least that’s how I’m understanding everything.

"@LasVegasLocally

UNLV Football quarterback Matt Sluka just quit on the team. Rumor has it he's been offered more NIL money from another school. College football is in big trouble..."

....what if this is what really happened? everyone OK with that?
Yes...I am 100% okay with people trying to make the best life for themselves. If that means taking more money from another place, great. If that means staying with the place they like more, great.

In this case, they get 4-5 years to do this and to make money. That is it. Imagine a clock starting when you turned 18 and that clock had 43,800 hours on it or 5 years...And you KNEW when that clock hit 0:00, that your chances of ever making money like that again WHILE getting school for free, would be gone forever. What would you do?

Most of these guys might snag 500K for a year of CFB and then it gone and their next job is probably going to start them at 50K a year or so.

Think back to when you were that age and how much time you blew, maybe you didn't, but I did, I blew a ton of it, I wish I had that time back.

Reactions: BleedRed78
....sooooo, he's going to play college football for 6 years? sweet. gawd this deal gets worse
So, he should have just taken the shaft when he had other options? Why is it worse? Your advice is questionable.....at best. You're always worried about somebody making some money. You sound like a pinko.

Reactions: Dylman
So from everything I’ve read, it sounds like the NCAA literally cannot do anything or even attempt to enforce anything at this point because of the previous and ongoing court cases, leaving them completely powerless. The question is, who or how do they even begin to get a semblance of structure behind any of this going forward? Is it conference commissioners or AD’s all coming together and starting to iron something out? Even if they do, it seems the legal process has already said they won’t be able to do anything like that unless the players become employees, and at that point you can start to enforce contracts and such, but this then completely removes the amateur athletics piece of everything and becomes a professional league of some kind. At that point, I would assumed even being a student would be totally optional as well for these athletes. At least that’s how I’m understanding everything.
The NCAA has never had real power. The colleges just decided to let them have it. All the colleges ever had to do was say "No", which is what you see blue bloods in CBB do, when they try to investigate UNC or KU, those schools just say "No" and nothing happens.

Yes, it would be the conferences

College football needs a commissioner and a players union

Reactions: Muskyhunter16
Yes...I am 100% okay with people trying to make the best life for themselves. If that means taking more money from another place, great. If that means staying with the place they like more, great.

In this case, they get 4-5 years to do this and to make money. That is it. Imagine a clock starting when you turned 18 and that clock had 43,800 hours on it or 5 years...And you KNEW when that clock hit 0:00, that your chances of ever making money like that again WHILE getting school for free, would be gone forever. What would you do?

Most of these guys might snag 500K for a year of CFB and then it gone and their next job is probably going to start them at 50K a year or so.

Think back to when you were that age and how much time you blew, maybe you didn't, but I did, I blew a ton of it, I wish I had that time back.

My dad, who oozes integrity and faith and doesn't have a manipulative bone in his body and is the kind of dad everyone should have and everyone loves, never would have let me do what you are suggesting, and I appreciate him for that more and more the older I get. If yours would teach you to do what this kid did, we just live in different zip codes when it comes to your word and integrity and thinking of how your decision affects others. That's fine, everyone mileage on this differs, just sharing how I feel about it.

Reactions: itseasyas1-2-3
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT