ADVERTISEMENT

NIL Recruiting Dilemma?

JabroniBlvd

Sophomore
Nov 5, 2005
I know this has been discussed some, but posting to see how this all works out...There are countless examples on our team and around the country but an obvious one below.

Garret Nelson IMO is equally as good as Ochaun Mathis. We reportedly paid Mathis $500k to come play for us yet Nelson gets nothing since he is already on the team and doesn't want to transfer? Or behind the scenes are we giving our 'better' players some sort of incentive?

Same could be said for in-state HS recruits. You will have some that are only wanting to play for Nebraska and some others that are 50/50 and basically up their price by "looking around".

Reactions: moralvictories
I know this has been discussed some, but posting to see how this all works out...There are countless examples on our team and around the country but an obvious one below.

Garret Nelson IMO is equally as good as Ochaun Mathis. We reportedly paid Mathis $500k to come play for us yet Nelson gets nothing since he is already on the team and doesn't want to transfer? Or behind the scenes are we giving our 'better' players some sort of incentive?

Same could be said for in-state HS recruits. You will have some that are only wanting to play for Nebraska and some others that are 50/50 and basically up their price by "looking around".
Mathis was 2nd team all big 12
Nelson wasn’t named to the honorable mention team by the coaches

Nelson may develop into as good a player as Mathis but he wasn’t as good last year

I, too, wish NIL money could have been kept in house but unfortunately due to too many roster holes we have had to go shopping

Last edited:
Reactions: Anegada1

One was a 2nd team All conference , one didn’t even make honorable mention, that’s not being equally good.

The fallacy is "WE" if by that you mean the school. The school is NOT giving out the NIL dollars to players, that direct parceling out of money would be against the rules and theoretically at least bring down the NCAA violation hammer. Businesses though are paying for advertising rights to use the player's NIL. The "worth" of those NIL rights (ie., what those businesses are willing to pay for them) are determined by the player's perceived star power/influence (ie., market value) with the fanbase.

It's NOT related directly to a player's playing capability on the field unless that actually affects the influence with fans to buy things. Players theoretically are not getting paid directly to make plays on the field but to influence purchasing decisions by the fanbase. Related but not a direct connection.

Last edited:

Nelson may develop into as good a player as Mathis but he wasn’t as good last year

I, too, wish NIL money could have been kept in house but unfortunately due to too many roster holes we have had to go shopping
2021 Stats

Mathis: 45 tackles, 4 sacks, 7 TFL
Nelson: 57 tackles, 5 sacks, 11.5 TFL

It should get better after Scott Frost has four years under his belt of recruiting his own players in filling out gaps and not mis-managing it like the previous staff did.

Reactions: 10Trvln

How does one know how much either of them are getting? There were "reports" that Mathis got $500K (Not saying it's not true) but how do we know Nelly isn't also getting some money?

How does one know how much either of them are getting? There were "reports" that Mathis got $500K (Not saying it's not true) but how do we know Nelly isn't also getting some money?
He very well could be I honestly don't know, but we never hear about that side of things. And for the people that act like these places don't pay them - of course they do. Not specially the coaches or University but it's all connected. They all know what's going on.

Without NIL our roster would be very weak at certain very important positions. At one time I hated the idea of NIL but I've change course, it's our only hope to compete and get back to were we need to be. Let's face it, Nebraska football is a business a very important business for the fans of the BIG RED and without it we're screwed.

Reactions: BleedRed78
Players already on the team can also make NIL deals...it isn't just recruits

Shoot a 4th string walk on can sign a deal with a local implement dealership to be in ads if they can get it

Reactions: BleedRed78
I know one starter from last year made 30 or 40k and use of a car.

The fallacy is "WE" if by that you mean the school. The school is NOT giving out the NIL dollars to players, that direct parceling out of money would be against the rules and theoretically at least bring down the NCAA violation hammer. Businesses though are paying for advertising rights to use the player's NIL. The "worth" of those NIL rights (ie., what those businesses are willing to pay for them) are determined by the player's perceived star power/influence (ie., market value) with the fanbase.

It's NOT related directly to a player's playing capability on the field unless that actually affects the influence with fans to buy things. Players theoretically are not getting paid directly to make plays on the field but to influence purchasing decisions by the fanbase. Related but not a direct connection.

Do players actually have to do something for the NIL money, or is it just for the “right” to use their name, image likeness ? I have not yet seen anything using an NIL. Maybe they are out there, jerseys with names for example, but so far I’ve seen nothing.

Do players actually have to do something for the NIL money, or is it just for the “right” to use their name, image likeness ? I have not yet seen anything using an NIL. Maybe they are out there, jerseys with names for example, but so far I’ve seen nothing.
Yes . the businesses that are giving them money or products, I am assuming most is done on social media, , maybe more will be done during the season.

The obligations for players depend on the individual contracts they sign. Can range from anything like from just image rights to a certain amount of social posts, public appearances, endorsements, ads, etc. There is no standard one-size contract.

ADVERTISEMENT