ADVERTISEMENT

NIL and the Big Ten West

Can't argue with you and you're probably accurate for the most part.

One of the concerns I have is I don't want division in nil $$$ to make conflict or drama in the locker room. Will it promote Brian bosworth type of behavior? Jealousy? We all know there's different position type value when you get to the pros so hopefully they understand that.

It'll be interesting to say the least to how this all shakes out.
I don't think people realize that this is going to create a ton of distractions and probably be more trouble than it's worth. I seem to remember a lot of you getting pretty upset when a player was on Instagram before a game. You really think that's going to be any better when players are paid to post tweets and Instagram pics?

I hate what it says about our society that people can get rich off their social media presence. Everyone's a Kardashian.
Celebrities have always profited off exploiting their public status. Social media just makes it easier but it was happening long before social media.

Reactions: WHCSC
I don't think people realize that this is going to create a ton of distractions and probably be more trouble than it's worth. I seem to remember a lot of you getting pretty upset when a player was on Instagram before a game. You really think that's going to be any better when players are paid to post tweets and Instagram pics?
Only an issue if you are losing.

This will hurt nut job coaches that need full control over everything.

Ok, so the NIL era is here. College athletes can make money now and no longer do boosters need to pay "under the table." So where are the big blocker buster deals? There were never going to be any. It's all about the visibility and the willingness of local businesses "investing" money into the college athletes at the local university. That is why Nebraska will truly be the only Big Ten West school to really reap the benefits of the new era among the Big Ten West. Sure there will be individual players on various football teams in the big Ten West that will make some decent money, but when it comes to an engaged following for visibility, Nebraska easily dominates that in the Big Ten West.

So far Runza is the only company in the Big Ten West states willing to do the smart thing and that is to grow their visibility by striking deals with Nebraska athletes. Now when the sports teams are playing the Runza name will grow as random people will look up the social media accounts of players, etc, etc, etc.

I doubt Culver's will do a Runza style deal, but I'm sure they will pay some players at Wisconsin to do an advertisement.

The smartest thing that a school can do is have a "average income per football player" analysis for recruiting purposes. At Nebraska the average income per player was $10k. Now compare that to the average income per player at Iowa that was $1,500. Who the hell do you think is going to land the recruits when it comes down to money like that? We all know the answer. The bigger spread that Nebraska can get for a per player income level greater than the rest of the Big Ten West then that is what will truly separate Nebraska from everyone else in the big Ten West and the 500 mile radius (until you get down to Oklahoma).

It may take a single recruiting cycle for the numbers to come out and used as a benefit or two cycles. I suspect if nebraska can ink a few more corporate deals like Runza then the impact on recruiting will be impacted in the 2023 cycle.
Pandora's Box now open. Unavoidable, the cause being NCAA's shortsighted leadership over the years, limiting
everything(remember Crouch's "ham sandwich"), not the chickens are home and crapping over the collegiate
football programs. How this plays out is anyone's guess but College Football is being changed forever.

Reactions: baseball31ne
Pandora's Box now open. Unavoidable, the cause being NCAA's shortsighted leadership over the years, limiting
everything(remember Crouch's "ham sandwich"), not the chickens are home and crapping over the collegiate
football programs. How this plays out is anyone's guess but College Football is being changed forever.
I'm no fan of the NCAA's behavior BUT this was going to happen regardless of whatever the NCAA did in the past. Activist players supported by the Supreme Court ruling made it inevitable.

Ok, so the NIL era is here. College athletes can make money now and no longer do boosters need to pay "under the table." So where are the big blocker buster deals? There were never going to be any. It's all about the visibility and the willingness of local businesses "investing" money into the college athletes at the local university. That is why Nebraska will truly be the only Big Ten West school to really reap the benefits of the new era among the Big Ten West. Sure there will be individual players on various football teams in the big Ten West that will make some decent money, but when it comes to an engaged following for visibility, Nebraska easily dominates that in the Big Ten West.

So far Runza is the only company in the Big Ten West states willing to do the smart thing and that is to grow their visibility by striking deals with Nebraska athletes. Now when the sports teams are playing the Runza name will grow as random people will look up the social media accounts of players, etc, etc, etc.

I doubt Culver's will do a Runza style deal, but I'm sure they will pay some players at Wisconsin to do an advertisement.

The smartest thing that a school can do is have a "average income per football player" analysis for recruiting purposes. At Nebraska the average income per player was $10k. Now compare that to the average income per player at Iowa that was $1,500. Who the hell do you think is going to land the recruits when it comes down to money like that? We all know the answer. The bigger spread that Nebraska can get for a per player income level greater than the rest of the Big Ten West then that is what will truly separate Nebraska from everyone else in the big Ten West and the 500 mile radius (until you get down to Oklahoma).

It may take a single recruiting cycle for the numbers to come out and used as a benefit or two cycles. I suspect if nebraska can ink a few more corporate deals like Runza then the impact on recruiting will be impacted in the 2023 cycle.
I am curious if this might slow down the number of transfers. Some money may be contingent on not transferring. Transfering can also hurt your brand that you develop and then you have to rebuild it at a new school.

I was actually talking about NIL with a few neighbors last night and we ended that conversation with more questions than answers.

For example:

1. Saban owns multiple car dealerships - what's to keep him from signing kids and giving them $100k+ cars as part of the contract?

2. Who will be managing these contracts for the athletes to ensure they aren't making any bad business decisions? In-addition, who will be assisting them with managing their finances to ensure they have enough money to pay taxes when they're due??

3. During post-game press conferences, are we now going to see players plug their sponsors by drinking certain beverages, wearing certain clothing, or by saying 'I felt great during the game today because of my new Sealy Posturepedic Mattress'.

4. Will college stadiums now promote player advertisements during the games?
NIL Money is ok, but material gifts would still be impermissable benefits and thus recruiting violations

NIL Money is ok, but material gifts would still be impermissable benefits and thus recruiting violations
How could it be considered an impermissible gift if the player fulfills the contract established between themself and the business? My point is this, what would be ‘illegal’ about a kid signing autographs outside a car dealership (to promote the business) and then the business paying them with a vehicle for their work?? I think the answer is nothing.

I am curious if this might slow down the number of transfers. Some money may be contingent on not transferring. Transfering can also hurt your brand that you develop and then you have to rebuild it at a new school.

I don't think so. There won't be many endorsement offers for a backup QB who never sees the field. But if he transfers to another school where he can be the starter, all the local businesses will want his endorsement.

So if anything, this is going to make it even harder for coaches to build depth at the QB position. The backup QBs are going to see all the $ that the starter is raking in, so they will try to find a school where they can be the big man on campus.

How could it be considered an impermissible gift if the player fulfills the contract established between themself and the business? My point is this, what would be ‘illegal’ about a kid signing autographs outside a car dealership (to promote the business) and then the business paying them with a vehicle for their work?? I think the answer is nothing.
Money only

Money only
Ok, then how about this same dealership offering $100k to the player instead for a couple hours worth of autograph signing? Nothing wrong with that??

We all know that back room conversations are already a big part of recruiting, especially in the SEC, so now instead of saying ‘Hey 5* kid we will pay you $50k to sign with Alabama’ they can now say ‘Hey 5* kid, if you sign with Alabama I’ll pay you $50k to show up and sign autographs for a few hours after signing day’.

I was actually talking about NIL with a few neighbors last night and we ended that conversation with more questions than answers.

For example:

1. Saban owns multiple car dealerships - what's to keep him from signing kids and giving them $100k+ cars as part of the contract?

2. Who will be managing these contracts for the athletes to ensure they aren't making any bad business decisions? In-addition, who will be assisting them with managing their finances to ensure they have enough money to pay taxes when they're due??

3. During post-game press conferences, are we now going to see players plug their sponsors by drinking certain beverages, wearing certain clothing, or by saying 'I felt great during the game today because of my new Sealy Posturepedic Mattress'.

4. Will college stadiums now promote player advertisements during the games?
ISU has hired a firm to work with the student athletes on all aspects of NIL.

I searched around the rest of the Big Ten West today and I don't see anything about any company supporting the actual athletics at the local university. Just the typical "post a tweet for us for $50 or a website for selling clothes type of stuff."

I keep saying this and I suspect someone in leadership will see what I am getting at. If you can get say 5 companies willing to invest x dollars of marketing spend on college athletes at the local university then you will have an entire team earn money and that gives you the biggest recruiting advantage since you can tell recruits x dollars of spend are already approved while you will be on campus and the current player's income is an average of x dollars.

Players can do their own individual thing like YouTube channel, a local TV ad, etc, etc.

The more local investment you got going, the more powerful your recruiting advantage will become.

Some universities, as a few of you hinted to, has already ‘taken care ‘ of their players for many years

This might work if Nebraska can work out of the gutter and become an above average program. As it stands today, would a kid with pro potential choose Nebraska over Iowa for an extra few thousand dollars?

When does the national campaign start against Hot Privilege???
That and coming from a wealthy family is really the only kind of privilege there is. If you think the average white male has such a leg up on society, you're definitely targeting the wrong group.

Reactions: Bigred_b1624
This might work if Nebraska can work out of the gutter and become an above average program. As it stands today, would a kid with pro potential choose Nebraska over Iowa for an extra few thousand dollars?

Yes, the more and more they win the bigger and bigger it will get from an advantage point. By the time the foundation is in place over the next year, I hope the 2021 season will at least be a winning season to get some momentum going.

Reactions: B1G RED RULES
Isu hires firms, NU grads start firms

Such is life as an afterthought loser
I wouldn’t attempt to compare the academic excellence and the success of the graduates of these two universities, if I were you. Nebraska was kicked out of the AAU because it just didn’t measure up. Neb gave the Big 10 a black eye because it is the only member institution thrown out of the AAU. My guess is you have no idea what the organization even represents or the significance of being booted.

Last edited:
I wouldn’t attempt to compare the academic excellence and the success of the graduates of these two universities, if I were you. Nebraska was kicked out of the AAU because it just didn’t measure up. Neb gave the Big 10 a black eye because it is the only member institution thrown out of the AAU. My guess is you have no idea what the organization even represents or the significance of being booted.

Congrats, Bro! Your income is still the same as any random Nebraska graduate.

When you’re a dweeb isu fan you go to other teams’ boards and post loser sh*t like this

Get bent

Which is code for “I don’t know sh#t and I just whine regularly”
I cannot fathom the amount of pathetic loserdom that would cause me to go to another team’s board to puff my chest about academics.

Your school/town/state would go unnoticed if too big an m80 went off and cleaned it from the map/record books. To have contributed so little to the world after so long is your lasting legacy.

Sigh, indeed. What an asswipe. Isu is a joke, matt campbell is a coward, and you kiss your sister.

I cannot fathom the amount of pathetic loserdom that would cause me to go to another team’s board to puff my chest about academics.

Your school/town/state would go unnoticed if too big an m80 went off and cleaned it from the map/record books. To have contributed so little to the world after so long is your lasting legacy.

Sigh, indeed. What an asswipe. Isu is a joke, matt campbell is a coward, and you kiss your sister.
Go back and look at the thread and then look in the mirror……rinse and repeat until you get a clue sparky

Go back and look at the thread and then look in the mirror……rinse and repeat until you get a clue sparky
Here’s a clue: the first former student athletes to sign an NIL consulting contract were former Huskers.

Your loser school hires them, we create them, as previously stated.

Bye, clown. I’d tell you stare directly down the fireworks tube later today, but isu fans are undoubtedly too pussy to celebrate the Fourth.

Reactions: Bigred_b1624
My guess is that you have no idea why Nebraska was kicked out of the AAU. My guess is that you also have no idea what other schools were and are in danger of being kicked out and what those schools had in common. I'd also bet that you dont know what's significant about how the Nebraska system is structured that if changed would have likely prevented them from being kicked out.

Reactions: scarletred
Nebraska is one of the schools that will benefit most from NIL, you'd have to be severely learning disabled to think differently.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT