ADVERTISEMENT

NIL and the Big Ten West

antirowboat

Junior
Jan 30, 2021
Ok, so the NIL era is here. College athletes can make money now and no longer do boosters need to pay "under the table." So where are the big blocker buster deals? There were never going to be any. It's all about the visibility and the willingness of local businesses "investing" money into the college athletes at the local university. That is why Nebraska will truly be the only Big Ten West school to really reap the benefits of the new era among the Big Ten West. Sure there will be individual players on various football teams in the big Ten West that will make some decent money, but when it comes to an engaged following for visibility, Nebraska easily dominates that in the Big Ten West.

So far Runza is the only company in the Big Ten West states willing to do the smart thing and that is to grow their visibility by striking deals with Nebraska athletes. Now when the sports teams are playing the Runza name will grow as random people will look up the social media accounts of players, etc, etc, etc.

I doubt Culver's will do a Runza style deal, but I'm sure they will pay some players at Wisconsin to do an advertisement.

The smartest thing that a school can do is have a "average income per football player" analysis for recruiting purposes. At Nebraska the average income per player was $10k. Now compare that to the average income per player at Iowa that was $1,500. Who the hell do you think is going to land the recruits when it comes down to money like that? We all know the answer. The bigger spread that Nebraska can get for a per player income level greater than the rest of the Big Ten West then that is what will truly separate Nebraska from everyone else in the big Ten West and the 500 mile radius (until you get down to Oklahoma).

It may take a single recruiting cycle for the numbers to come out and used as a benefit or two cycles. I suspect if nebraska can ink a few more corporate deals like Runza then the impact on recruiting will be impacted in the 2023 cycle.

Can't argue with you and you're probably accurate for the most part.

One of the concerns I have is I don't want division in nil $$$ to make conflict or drama in the locker room. Will it promote Brian bosworth type of behavior? Jealousy? We all know there's different position type value when you get to the pros so hopefully they understand that.

It'll be interesting to say the least to how this all shakes out.

I see there's a runza nil thread on the payboard. Any care to give any of us south of the tracks people some Cliff notes??

I was actually talking about NIL with a few neighbors last night and we ended that conversation with more questions than answers.

For example:

1. Saban owns multiple car dealerships - what's to keep him from signing kids and giving them $100k+ cars as part of the contract?

2. Who will be managing these contracts for the athletes to ensure they aren't making any bad business decisions? In-addition, who will be assisting them with managing their finances to ensure they have enough money to pay taxes when they're due??

3. During post-game press conferences, are we now going to see players plug their sponsors by drinking certain beverages, wearing certain clothing, or by saying 'I felt great during the game today because of my new Sealy Posturepedic Mattress'.

4. Will college stadiums now promote player advertisements during the games?

2. Who will be managing these contracts for the athletes to ensure they aren't making any bad business decisions? In-addition, who will be assisting them with managing their finances to ensure they have enough money to pay taxes when they're due??
If they're adult enough for endorsements, they'll figure it out

Can't argue with you and you're probably accurate for the most part.

One of the concerns I have is I don't want division in nil $$$ to make conflict or drama in the locker room. Will it promote Brian bosworth type of behavior? Jealousy? We all know there's different position type value when you get to the pros so hopefully they understand that.

It'll be interesting to say the least to how this all shakes out.

It will create a ton of drama, even more so in the women's sports. The hot female athletes like Lexi Sun will probably rake in the endorsement money, while the unattractive gals won't make a dime.

Ok, so the NIL era is here. College athletes can make money now and no longer do boosters need to pay "under the table." So where are the big blocker buster deals? There were never going to be any. It's all about the visibility and the willingness of local businesses "investing" money into the college athletes at the local university. That is why Nebraska will truly be the only Big Ten West school to really reap the benefits of the new era among the Big Ten West. Sure there will be individual players on various football teams in the big Ten West that will make some decent money, but when it comes to an engaged following for visibility, Nebraska easily dominates that in the Big Ten West.

So far Runza is the only company in the Big Ten West states willing to do the smart thing and that is to grow their visibility by striking deals with Nebraska athletes. Now when the sports teams are playing the Runza name will grow as random people will look up the social media accounts of players, etc, etc, etc.

I doubt Culver's will do a Runza style deal, but I'm sure they will pay some players at Wisconsin to do an advertisement.

The smartest thing that a school can do is have a "average income per football player" analysis for recruiting purposes. At Nebraska the average income per player was $10k. Now compare that to the average income per player at Iowa that was $1,500. Who the hell do you think is going to land the recruits when it comes down to money like that? We all know the answer. The bigger spread that Nebraska can get for a per player income level greater than the rest of the Big Ten West then that is what will truly separate Nebraska from everyone else in the big Ten West and the 500 mile radius (until you get down to Oklahoma).

It may take a single recruiting cycle for the numbers to come out and used as a benefit or two cycles. I suspect if nebraska can ink a few more corporate deals like Runza then the impact on recruiting will be impacted in the 2023 cycle.
I think Purdue Business school carries all the information on this, so part of a players visit now is to go to Krannert and they explain the NIL and how the player can best take advantage of it. Purdue is working it very hard as well. FYI.

Reactions: jrhuskerdad
I think Purdue Business school carries all the information on this, so part of a players visit now is to go to Krannert and they explain the NIL and how the player can best take advantage of it. Purdue is working it very hard as well. FYI.
'How much money you can make' is going to become a major factor in recruiting going-forward.

Hopefully that just means more 5* players come to Nebraska :)

I am not sure $100 is going to move the needle too much.

Nebraska

The regional food chain Runza, "with its signature bun stuffed with cabbage and ground beef," has offered all college athletes in Nebraska a flat rate to promote their rewards app on their social channels. The first 100 to opt-in get the deal, an amount that was not disclosed but cannot be more than $100 or so.

'How much money you can make' is going to become a major factor in recruiting going-forward.

Hopefully that just means more 5* players come to Nebraska :)
I don't really see it moving the needle much. More local stars stay home maybe? But what's the worst that happens, all the good players go to the same 4 schools? Oh wait....

Reactions: baseball31ne
I don't really see it moving the needle much. More local stars stay home maybe? But what's the worst that happens, all the good players go to the same 4 schools? Oh wait....
I've looked through multiple articles on NIL and have yet to see anything stating a player can only make 'X' amount of money from a contract, so what's keeping a business from paying a kid $100k to show-up and sign a few autographs (as a way of 'promoting' their business)?

I've looked through multiple articles on NIL and have yet to see anything stating a player can only make 'X' amount of money from a contract, so what's keeping a business from paying a kid $100k to show-up and sign a few autographs (as a way of 'promoting' their business)?
Nothing. Never said anything about that.

I was actually talking about NIL with a few neighbors last night and we ended that conversation with more questions than answers.

For example:

1. Saban owns multiple car dealerships - what's to keep him from signing kids and giving them $100k+ cars as part of the contract?

3. During post-game press conferences, are we now going to see players plug their sponsors by drinking certain beverages, wearing certain clothing, or by saying 'I felt great during the game today because of my new Sealy Posturepedic Mattress'.

4. Will college stadiums now promote player advertisements during the games?
Well there are PLENTY of professional agents/financial money managers quite willing to step up to the task of helping players maximize their earnings! For a cut of those earning of course.

Instead of fighting NIL all together, the NCAA should have gotten out in front and set some guidelines. But we know how inept the NCAA is at anything.

Reactions: scarletred
Instead of fighting NIL all together, the NCAA should have gotten out in front and set some guidelines. But we know how inept the NCAA is at anything.
Well for better or worse, the NCAA has been superseded in this arena by different laws enacted in individual states. So the NCAA simply declared that colleges should follow their individual state laws, didn't have a lot of choice in the matter. It's all been driven by activist player demands and reinforced by the Supreme Court ruling.

Meanwhile Congress still is bickering over national rules (what else is new) so there's nothing on the federal level yet.

Nothing. Never said anything about that.
Not saying you did, just that there have been a few comments in this thread already about 'NIL won't move the needle much' and I simply don't agree.

Some kids are about to be rich.

Not saying you did, just that there have been a few comments in this thread already about 'NIL won't move the needle much' and I simply don't agree.

Some kids are about to be rich.
Well yes. But it's not going to suddenly change where kids are going to school. All the kids that are going to make some serious money are still going to bama, osu, and Clemson.

Well yes. But it's not going to suddenly change where kids are going to school. All the kids that are going to make some serious money are still going to bama, osu, and Clemson.
I agree, the school really doesn't even matter all that much.

A smoking hot female gymnast is still smoking hot regardless of the school.

I think the earning potential for a highly rated kid could be bigger at a school like Iowa, Nebraska, Purdue rather than those bigger schools. Especially, if it’s a home grown kid.

Reactions: bigredhunter
I think the earning potential for a highly rated kid could be bigger at a school like Iowa, Nebraska, Purdue rather than those bigger schools. Especially, if it’s a home grown kid.
I don't disagree on this. Someone like George Karlaftis. Homegrown kid. Best DE in the big ten, maybe country. But a 4 star guy from Alabama? Not so sure.

Reactions: SWIowahawks

It’s going to individual things like autographs, tshirts, social media paid accounts where kids will make some pocket change. Do people really think big, reputable brands are going to put $ behind kids…that is not reality.

Why, how do you vet a kid, what’s it do to your brand if they run afoul dtown some Saturday night, what are they experts in at that stage that warrants convincing testimonials for product?

This is a good thing, a fair thing, but there will be little difference or advantage b/w programs, communities, states .

From all of the SM posts about blogs, YouTube channels, clothing lines, etc that exploded yesterday….the demand will be disappointing to most of these kids. Yet, it’s a good thing and they have every right to do it.

Can the fan base contribute to a PAC type instrument and then that pays the kids? Millions of average Joe’s putting in $10-20 could move the needle.

It’s going to individual things like autographs, tshirts, social media paid accounts where kids will make some pocket change. Do people really think big, reputable brands are going to put $ behind kids…that is not reality.

Why, how do you vet a kid, what’s it do to your brand if they run afoul dtown some Saturday night, what are they experts in at that stage that warrants convincing testimonials for product?

This is a good thing, a fair thing, but there will be little difference or advantage b/w programs, communities, states .

From all of the SM posts about blogs, YouTube channels, clothing lines, etc that exploded yesterday….the demand will be disappointing to most of these kids. Yet, it’s a good thing and they have every right to do it.

True, it's only the athletes with large social media followings that will make serious money. But I think the issue is how to prevent boosters from offering top high school recruits endorsement money to entice them to sign with their university?

NIL will be good in the sense that it will allow these kids to put on summer camps/clinics at their old high schools in the summer and make some nice side money. So even if you're just a walk-on from small-town Nebraska, you'll be able to market yourself as the hometown hero. So this could entice even more kids to walk-on here rather than go play at a smaller school.

Reactions: cecilB
While cruising the Internet looking for stories on this topic I see one list has NU volleyball star Lexi Sun rated #16 on top 20 athletes poised to make a fast killing. Nice that a player on our most successful sport could be the biggest beneficiary initially. Of course I realize that means she must have been very involved in social media, which is probably more important than athletic success. Oh, did I forget to mention beauty might be a tiny factor!

Reactions: bigredhunter
One knock on effect of this change is that you might see some transfers from one school to another for income generating purposes and some senior athletes choosing to complete their college eligibility instead of leaving early (ie., less financial pressure on them to earn quicker).

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT