ADVERTISEMENT

Nick Gates will declare

Cupboard looks a little bare. Conrad and Farniok have played tackle. Jaimes moves to LT. can Gaylord get on the field?
We've got at least 2 OTs visiting before signing day and they're big guys. Frost will make it work. IT's a whole different scheme and different roles for O linemen. I'm not sure a year in Frost's system would have helped him much but working with Austin might have.

I hope he gets drafted and has a solid career. Go get that money!

What happens if he’s not drafted and not even invited to training camp- see Westerap, Armstrong, etc...? Not much money to get if your a practice squad player or playing in the CFL

What happens if he’s not drafted and gets cut in training camp? Not much money to get if your a practice squad or playing in the CFL
He's gonna stick somewhere. If you watch enough of his play and not just the lowlights he has talent. Again, Jeremiah Sirles plays a bunch and has started quite a few games for the division winning MInnesota Vikings. People need to get over their problems with this junior and senior class. They've been through the wringer with the coaching changes.

Not so sure where that is coming from. What skills are lacking?

The ability to pull. Running a quicker pace on offense. Reading the plays coming off the bench, and the defensive sets. And most importantly, not sucking as much. GBR

The ability to pull. Running a quicker pace on offense. Reading the plays coming off the bench, and the defensive sets. And most importantly, not sucking as much. GBR
IMO the current players will be just fine when they have sufficient reps to develop and more accountability in the weight room and nutrition. For sure the natural aggression and competitiveness you would expect in practice won't be cause to be publicly reprimanded.

So really stupid question for the board about the NFL, but don’t you have to actually be good to play in the NFL? Aren’t there like 60-70 better linemen in the B1G alone?

Sorry Nick but you aren't good enough to be a NFL lineman, you watched time and time again as the end ran right around you and knocked the shit out of Tanner Lee, NFL=Not For Long for you. Good luck however in following your dream or whatever it is your doing.

He's gonna stick somewhere. If you watch enough of his play and not just the lowlights he has talent. Again, Jeremiah Sirles plays a bunch and has started quite a few games for the division winning MInnesota Vikings. People need to get over their problems with this junior and senior class. They've been through the wringer with the coaching changes.

Still a huge gamble— anyone know if he’s strong (weight room)?

With these guys like Sam Darnold, that just suck, being at the top of the draft boards, maybe the NFL is at a point where they are drafting only on potential and not film...

If so, Gates is lucking out!

If he changes his mind and stays, apparently he needs to move to guard and sit behind Foster, Farmer, Wilson, and Raridon... if the posters above are correct about the coaches playing him in the wrong position. At 6'4" or 6'5" and 295# I can see that being the case I guess.

With these guys like Sam Darnold, that just suck, being at the top of the draft boards, maybe the NFL is at a point where they are drafting only on potential and not film...

If so, Gates is lucking out!

If he changes his mind and stays, apparently he needs to move to guard and sit behind Foster, Farmer, Wilson, and Raridon... if the posters above are correct about the coaches playing him in the wrong position. At 6'4" or 6'5" and 295# I can see that being the case I guess.

There is nothing wrong with playing tackle in college and then sliding to guard when you're playing at a different level. That doesn't mean he was being used wrong.

Gates likely lands in the league. But he hasn't done himself any favors. Absolutely shit attitude for a year now. Even if you hate your coach you'd think the thoughts of playing in the NFL would get you to play at an 80% effort level. Nope. Not Gates.

We don't know his personal story, or what is going on in his life. Everyone has "Stuff" going on in their lives.

We don't know what he is being told him by the NFL people. So let him make up his mind what would be best for himself and his family. Let's respect that.

The bad mouthing and name calling is Classless! Husker Fans we're better than that. Let's act like it.
Oh relax. Nobody was doing any name calling when you posted. Everyone is merely commenting on his decision based on his past performance. That's what these boards are for.

Read his clippings his freshmen year and has been wanting to leave since. Hasn't focused on getting better. Rude awakening is coming i think, but luckily there are 132 NFL teams and O line is the most populous and coveted position.

Oh relax. Nobody was doing any name calling when you posted. Everyone is merely commenting on his decision based on his past performance. That's what these boards are for.
It definitely is a medium to discuss things Husker no doubt.

The put downs and nasty comments are uncalled for! Neither you nor I know his story, and what is going on in his life. And nobody else posting in this thread but one, has claimed any inside information either.

But let's crowd up, and make fun of and make negative comments about a player that has invested his career here. Just because we don't like how he played, or because he feels he wants to move on.

Whether you think so or not, I do find that Classless! Trying to tear someone down just for the sake of it, and trying to entice the group to follow is not funny. It doesn't make someone come across as big and powerful. And again, its not funny.

That is my opinion. And I am expressing it on the Medium that is a place for us to do that, as you say.

You are without a doubt entitled to your opinion. And I respect that, I just don't happen to share some of yours.

Can someone tell me what body of evidence is there that he would make a better guard in the NFL? By NFL standards he seems pretty light for a guard. I could be totally out to lunch but I don't recall him ever playing guard. This seems to be one of those message board deals that keeps getting mentioned enough that it becomes some kind of legend. Help me out.

No......we don't get a say in the kids future. We are allowed to have an opinion though. You seem to offer that on every topic yet are overly concerned that others do if they are different than yours.
"That's what these boards are for". Try and be a better fan (like Husker fans claim they are). Once a Husker, always a Husker.

It definitely is a medium to discuss things Husker no doubt.

The put downs and nasty comments are uncalled for! Neither you nor I know his story, and what is going on in his life. And nobody else posting in this thread but one, has claimed any inside information either.

But let's crowd up, and make fun of and make negative comments about a player that has invested his career here. Just because we don't like how he played, or because he feels he wants to move on.

Whether you think so or not, I do find that Classless! Trying to tear someone down just for the sake of it, and trying to entice the group to follow is not funny. It doesn't make someone come across as big and powerful. And again, its not funny.

That is my opinion. And I am expressing it on the Medium that is a place for us to do that, as you say.

You are without a doubt entitled to your opinion. And I respect that, I just don't happen to share some of yours.

We can rip media for asking what these super-fans would, all while tearing apart a kid that is still in school here. It's truly amazing.

Reactions: Yossarian23
Sorry Nick but you aren't good enough to be a NFL lineman, you watched time and time again as the end ran right around you and knocked the shit out of Tanner Lee, NFL=Not For Long for you. Good luck however in following your dream or whatever it is your doing.
I suppose he realized he was gonna lose the starting job. Maybe this is his best shot at getting drafted? Let's face it, he just doesn't have the athletic ability to be a force within this new scheme. Doesn't know how to utilize the weight room, that's for sure. Maybe that's more on the old staff but you still need to have that drive from within.

No backpedaling here. And if the kid wants to stay and improve, more power to him. Either way, he needs to get mentally and physically tougher to even be considered a descent Power 5 CFB OL/OT.

Frost is here and Gates' style/effort won't last 2 seconds in his offense. So wake up Nick, or move on. GBR

Reactions: jeff v4
ADVERTISEMENT