ADVERTISEMENT

"Nice Guy" Mike Riley's Prius Has Oregon License Plates

If he actually kept this car in Lincoln for the past three years, wouldn’t someone have noticed prior to this week?

FWIW, in the Glory Days all the coaches drove cars with dealer plates, donated by the Wheel Club, so no tax was paid to any state or county. That went on for years until someone pointed out that you could donate the car, but not the plate. But then, those coaches won a whole lot more games.

Last edited:
If he actually kept this car in Lincoln for the past three years, wouldn’t someone have noticed prior to this week?

FWIW, in the Glory Days all the coaches drove cars with dealer plates, donated by the Wheel Club, so no tax was paid to any state or county. That went on for years until someone pointed out that you could donate the car, but not the plate. But then, those coaches won a whole lot more games.
I will not rest until this is rectified!!!!

Reactions: HuskerDana
Wow. Mike Riley must have thought his Nebraska stay would be short to keep his car registered in Oregon and not change it to Nebraska. Goodbye Mike Riley.
Or has been stated before and after you chose to post this, since he still has a home in Oregon, he kept the car registered there legally so as not to pay more in taxes. Maybe?

Technically he should have licensed it in Nebraska after the vehicle had been in state for 30 consecutive days (if that vehicle was in state for 30 consecutive days, which would have to be proven). Permanent address doesn't matter. If you are from another state and are a full time student, or in the military, you are exempt from that law.

In Douglas County it is not unusual for people in violation to get a friendly letter from the Treasurer's office when they get ratted out by a neighbor.

Technically he should have licensed it in Nebraska after the vehicle had been in state for 30 consecutive days (if that vehicle was in state for 30 consecutive days, which would have to be proven). Permanent address doesn't matter. If you are from another state and are a full time student, or in the military, you are exempt from that law.

In Douglas County it is not unusual for people in violation to get a friendly letter from the Treasurer's office when they get ratted out by a neighbor.

Can one of the HO recruiting guys please call Bookie and have him text Dee to verify how long the car has been in Nebraska for?

If you owne any property in a state with a adress and recive any mail at that property and still pay the property tax you can license a vehicle from that state

Yes you can license it. But if you are going to use it in the State of nebraska to exceed a 30 day period you have to register it here.

Heck, it is funny to make fun of him for having those plates and it is funny to make fun of the posters that are making fun of him. This is what we do...it is why we read the posts.

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
If I was going to go all metaphorical about the matter, I'd focus on the Prius element, not the plates. Rather incongruous car for a football coach. Plus I'm a fan of Top Gear, so ...

Reactions: coachDubs
I think it is interesting, as when my wife moved to Omaha before we were married, she was given a notice, placed on her car that she needed to get her Minnesota plates changed to Nebraska and pay the wheel tax...about 60 days after she moved to Nebraska.

If it was Riley's car, it is interesting that someone that makes $9 an hour gets a notice quickly, but the highest paid state employee doesn't get the same treatment.

Reactions: HuskerJack95
Thread didn't go like OP thought...

1248777391_mariah-carey-pitch-fail.gif

I think it is interesting, as when my wife moved to Omaha before we were married, she was given a notice, placed on her car that she needed to get her Minnesota plates changed to Nebraska and pay the wheel tax...about 60 days after she moved to Nebraska.

If it was Riley's car, it is interesting that someone that makes $9 an hour gets a notice quickly, but the highest paid state employee doesn't get the same treatment.

How long ago was that? There was a time years ago that people in Omaha were purchasing brand new cars and licensing them in South Dakota because of how cheap it was, and that is when the crackdown really started as I remember.

Can one of the HO recruiting guys please call Bookie and have him text Dee to verify how long the car has been in Nebraska for?

I'm guessing the UNL Police officers would know if it was or wasn't, but I'm not sure how much actual traffic enforcement they do.

Did you still have a Minnesota residence? Is this really that hard to comprehend. FFS

I just read Dirk's Mad Chatter blog on omaha.com. Dirk noted that on Saturday morning, Riley's hybrid Prius with Oregon plates was parked in front of the Champions Center.

Riley is the highest paid employee on the state's payroll and after nearly three years, he hasn't registered his car in Nebraska? I realize that Nebraska vehicle taxes are high, but really???

What am I missing here?

Seriously, there are so many more things to have issues with Riley than his stupid plates.

I hear he consistently J-walked. We need to focus on that.

I think his Oregon plates show a lack of attention to detail and that is why he is an average coach...

Hahahaha!

Actually, we all knew he was an average coach.

Reactions: timnsun

Finally!! Someone who knows the law.

It's no wonder our taxes are so high after seeing all the apathy here.

Yep.

As stated earlier (you have to read without any preconceptions), residence is not the determining factor in where a vehicle is registered and licensed.
It is if the vehicle goes back and forth. Still trying very hard. But by all means, keep up the good fight!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT