ADVERTISEMENT

"Nice Guy" Mike Riley's Prius Has Oregon License Plates

HuskerJack95

Senior
Oct 10, 2007
Omaha
I just read Dirk's Mad Chatter blog on omaha.com. Dirk noted that on Saturday morning, Riley's hybrid Prius with Oregon plates was parked in front of the Champions Center.

Riley is the highest paid employee on the state's payroll and after nearly three years, he hasn't registered his car in Nebraska? I realize that Nebraska vehicle taxes are high, but really???

What am I missing here?

I just read Dirk's Mad Chatter blog on omaha.com. Dirk noted that on Saturday morning, Riley's hybrid Prius with Oregon plates was parked in front of the Champions Center.

Riley is the highest paid employee on the state's payroll and after nearly three years, he hasn't registered his car in Nebraska? I realize that Nebraska vehicle taxes are high, but really???

What am I missing here?

Oregon has no sales tax so Riley did not pay any taxes on the Prius.

Reactions: TheNewNU

What am I missing here?

Who is Mike Riley?

Reactions: Minn1954
Bigger question (sarcasm) is why wasn't he provided a vehicle in his compensation package, thought that was pretty standard.

When-He-Effectively-Summarizes-His-Feelings.gif

From dmv.nebraska.gov

Individuals have 30 days after arriving in Nebraska to obtain a Nebraska title and registration for their vehicles.

This has nothing to do with sales tax.

Yes I know. I was merely pointing out that Riley paid no sales tax on that car. In addition it shows that he didn't make a major purchase in Nebraska either as I bet he drove that car out from Oregon. Riley had no commitment to the state.

Yes I know. I was merely pointing out that Riley paid no sales tax on that car. In addition it shows that he didn't make a major purchase in Nebraska either as I bet he drove that car out from Oregon. Riley had no commitment to the state.

I agree that Riley owes no sales tax to Nebraska.

I'm asking why he didn't pay to license his vehicle in Nebraska like the rest of us have to.

Reactions: Blindcheck
Mike had his bike and access to university vehicles. The day he was fired he drove his wife's car, who still has a residence and lives the majority of the year in Oregon, to work because he knew he had some boxes to load into a non university vehicle.

I have no idea.... Just typing as I watch the weather portion of the news.

Did anyone watch the SF interview where the reporter gleefully, a lot like someone who just got the dirt on someone he doesn’t like running for 8th grade student body president, asks SF about someone having a camera on his folks’ place?

And how you don’t want to believe that there are people in the world weird enough to do crap like that but kind of know that it’s probably (sadly) true?

Not sure why I just thought of that.

Mike had his bike and access to university vehicles. The day he was fired he drove his wife's car, who still has a residence and lives the majority of the year in Oregon, to work because he knew he had some boxes to load into a non university vehicle.

Finally, an answer.

I guess the late-night posters here don't care about the high taxes in Nebraska.

Reactions: Cloud@Heart

Or perhaps another relative was there to visit. It was Thanksgiving after all and Mike was not able to travel with a game the next day. Daughter visiting with his grandchild perhaps? I have no idea either. But it's not unreasonable to think he was using a vehicle belonging to his wife or someone in the family.

It's also not unreasonable to let it go because it doesn't really matter. Pretty sure all the Frost family vehicles will have NE plates.

Who cares. I’m guessing they always had plans to return to Oregon and probably kept a home there and had their vehicles registered to that home. He’s gone. He did his best and obviously his best was not near good enough. But he’s a good human being who had the best intentions at heart and based on everything I saw from him really wanted to help bring NU back to national prominence. And he has always acted with a high level of integrity and respect for the institution and the program. Why not give him that in return? It didn’t work out. It is what it is. I see no need to pile on the guy for trivial crap after the fact.

Judging by the “nice guy” title, it sure feels like the OP just wants to stir the turds a little bit here.

The reality is there really isn’t much to nitpick on Riley as a person... as a coach, sure. But not as a person. So why are you being so nitpicky here?

Wow. Mike Riley must have thought his Nebraska stay would be short to keep his car registered in Oregon and not change it to Nebraska. Goodbye Mike Riley.

Reactions: HuskerJack95
Did anyone watch the SF interview where the reporter gleefully, a lot like someone who just got the dirt on someone he doesn’t like running for 8th grade student body president, asks SF about someone having a camera on his folks’ place?

And how you don’t want to believe that there are people in the world weird enough to do crap like that but kind of know that it’s probably (sadly) true?

Yeah... weird. I wonder how reading this thread gave you an idea like that. Total coincidence I guess.

If you owne any property in a state with a adress and recive any mail at that property and still pay the property tax you can license a vehicle from that state
Shhhh. He's on a roll with this very serious allegation. Let's see where his investigation takes him.

Reactions: HuskerDana
From dmv.nebraska.gov

Individuals have 30 days after arriving in Nebraska to obtain a Nebraska title and registration for their vehicles.

This has nothing to do with sales tax.
He owns a house in Oregon. There are hundreds of Nebraska that own property in other states are register there vehicles there in order to avoid paying taxes. Some people just can't stop finding fault with others before taking a look at themselves. What's the Bible say. Remove the log from your in eye before before trying to remove the sliver from others

Di you hear that it never actually happened? It was just a phone interview.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT