ADVERTISEMENT

NFL Draft ..

They drafted Cassel. And he was a backup.
My point is that the Patriots are one play from Hoyer being their starting QB with Effling as their only other option. I guess I'm not a fan of either of them. I'm thinking the Giants took the QB they really wanted to try to steal.

My point is that the Patriots are one play from Hoyer being their starting QB with Effling as their only other option. I guess I'm not a fan of either of them. I'm thinking the Giants took the QB they really wanted to try to steal.

If this happens, the Pats could really fall quickly.

People put Bellicheck on a pedestal and he is truly a great coach, but Tom Brady is the reason why that team has been good for so long. They continually trade down and amass value in the draft because Brady is the GOAT. Gronk is another reason why their offense is always so potent, the guy is unstoppable and eats safeties/LBs alive in the passing game.

As an extension of the way the Pats draft, not having to reach for a QB because you have the GOAT is so potent. Bill gets a great tackle, a dynamic RB, and a young pro tackle from the 49ers who is 6'8, 350lbs+ and hyped by some defensive players in the NFL as a super talented player.

"He's the best right tackle in the National Football League! And he may even be a top-five tackle, period, in the National Football League. There’s not another tackle who’s that tall, that big and can move the way he moves.”
Von Miller on Trent Brown.

They then trade down and get talent at LB and the slot, with some developmental players and a QB who will probably turn into a higher pick through development. And I saw them get a 2nd and 3rd rounder in next year's draft, which is gold. They have the following ammunition for 2019, which leaves open the potential to trade up for a Qb. Rinse, repeat every year in NE. All because Brady allows them this strategy.

2019 Draft Picks: 1st, 2 2nds, 3 3rds, 4, 5, 6th, 3 7ths

P.S. Brady also delivers with a rag-tag team of WRs, who the Pats seemingly never take chances on as a position group. They even got a 1st back for Cooks, so no harm no foul. Brady has won Super Bowls with no-name receivers his entire career. He literally throws guys open.

Last edited:
Reactions: dinglefritz
I really do wonder who was advising Gates. Truly a stupid move. I mean one of the dumbest decisions he could have made. I'm not sure I buy that he was afraid of the workouts under HCSF because what would he think playing in the pros would be like?

He can't have looked at tape over the last year and thought he better than the
literally dozens upon dozens of better lineman in the Big 10 alone. He can't have thought, gosh, I am a beast in the weight room, I can do this standing on my head.

Maybe it was just one of those really stupid, snap decisions kids make that the rest of us look at and just go WTF?

Reactions: dinglefritz
I really do wonder who was advising Gates. Truly a stupid move. I mean one of the dumbest decisions he could have made. I'm not sure I buy that he was afraid of the workouts under HCSF because what would he think playing in the pros would be like?

literally dozens upon dozens of better lineman in the Big 10 alone. He can't have thought, gosh, I am a beast in the weight room, I can do this standing on my head.

Maybe it was just one of those really stupid, snap decisions kids make that the rest of us look at and just go WTF?

"Delusional" has been plaguing Nebraska for the last 2 decades, why wouldn't Gates be any different? Bad decisions have been the norm. I am not surprised in the slightest.

The kid thought he was a lock in the 3rd-5th rounds and he put in the effort of a back-up JV in high school. You get what you deserve in life.

I believe Gates was told by Frost and the new staff that declaring for the draft was probably in his best interests. They didn’t tell him he was going to be a high draft choice - just that his draft prospects likely weren’t going to be any higher if he returned for his senior year. In fact they could be lower.

Last edited:

He publicly said he would rather get paid to put in the work and he was known to walk around the weight room talking with people instead of working out. He has a terrible work ethic. He regressed under Riley.

Frost would have kicked him off the team with that attitude.

Reactions: spinner4
I believe Gates was told by Frost and the new staff that declaring for the draft was probably in his best interests. They didn’t tell him he was going to be a high draft choice - just that his draft prospects likely weren’t going to be any higher if he returned for his senior year. In fact they could be lower.

Davison insight to Frost.

Gates IMO will be the symbolic player of the Mike Riley area. Kid who had natural talent but just didn’t want to put in the work in the weight room. The mentality of the goal being “try to grade out high on tape”. And Cav saying to him, “perfect technique Nick” on plays where Gates had textbook technique but got his ass handed to him due to lack physically.

Oh well, good luck to him on whatever he does after he gets his cup coffee on an NFL squad

Reactions: HBK4life
ADVERTISEMENT