ADVERTISEMENT

NFL draft tidbits

artguy68

Junior
Nov 3, 2008
-- Nebraska had 3 draft picks. Not sure right now why there were not 4-- Domann was projected by many as high as the third round, and by most no later than the 5th.
-- Jurgens is Nebraska's highest pick (#51) since 2011 (Prince Amukamara, #19).
-- Iowa only had two players drafted.
-- Texas was shunned by Mathis and the NFL.
-- Penn State led the B1G with 8 selections. Ohio State "only" had 6 drafted. Northwestern was shut out.
-- Georgia had 15. What? Yes, 15. The next closest team was LSU with 10.
-- My personal biggest surprise: Cincinnati had 9 picks.
-- And in case you missed it, Wan'Dale went in the 2nd (#43) to the Giants.

-- Nebraska had 3 draft picks. Not sure right now why there were not 4-- Domann was projected by many as high as the third round, and by most no later than the 5th.
-- Penn State led the B1G with 8 selections. Ohio State "only" had 6 drafted. Northwestern was shut out.
Maybe mentioned already elsewhere, but in a classy move, Wandale felt obligated to throw more unnecessary shade at Nebraska (way to kick us while we’re down buddy).

““I could truly tell you, I don’t think I’d be drafted in the second round right now if I didn’t choose to come back to Kentucky and if I stayed at Nebraska," Robinson said at his draft party with family, friends and teammates. "No disrespect to Nebraska, but at the end of the day, that’s how it is. And I give them (Kentucky) all the credit and I give my teammates as well the credit too, just helping me get better every day and helping me get to this point.”

Maybe mentioned already elsewhere, but in a classy move, Wandale felt obligated to throw more unnecessary shade at Nebraska (way to kick us while we’re down buddy).

““I could truly tell you, I don’t think I’d be drafted in the second round right now if I didn’t choose to come back to Kentucky and if I stayed at Nebraska," Robinson said at his draft party with family, friends and teammates. "No disrespect to Nebraska, but at the end of the day, that’s how it is. And I give them (Kentucky) all the credit and I give my teammates as well the credit too, just helping me get better every day and helping me get to this point.”
He's just telling like it is. The NU program sucks right now. He would've faired worse, had he stayed. Him praising his current team is typical. Good for him. I wouldn't give it further attention. If NU wants to change perception, they need to win more ball games.

I dont think he will do well. Just too small for the nfl. I could see him with a long career in the cfl though

In other news, that Fordham LB who actually had 31 tackles in a game against the Huskers this year was not drafted or signed best I can tell. Does he run a 5.3 forty with 9 reps on the bench or something? Dude seems like he just gets lucky being where the ball carrier always is I guess.

Reactions: BleedRed78
Cool

Brock Purdy = Mr. Irrelevant.
Sounds like the program over the last 10 years. Hopefully his brother will be better and will at least be given a chance to compete, even though the starter is already decided by the fans and the coaching staff.

He's just telling like it is. The NU program sucks right now. He would've faired worse, had he stayed. Him praising his current team is typical. Good for him. I wouldn't give it further attention. If NU wants to change perception, they need to win more ball games.
Yes he is. He was misused at NU and he was on an offense led by an inconsistent QB who was one of the worst QB's in NU history in terms of wins and losses.

Well Wandale's swipe at Nebraska won't matter to his career but there's really little reason for him to be vindictive as he was a fan favorite during his days in Lincoln. Having to make a public comment knocking your former team just comes across as petty and immature.

Well Wandale's swipe at Nebraska won't matter to his career but there's really little reason for him to be vindictive as he was a fan favorite during his days in Lincoln. Having to make a public comment knocking your former team just comes across as petty and immature.
I didn't take it as vindictive. I think it's obvious that he benefited from his season at Kentucky. In fact, he benefited too much-- he was over drafted. He's a 4th rounder at best. If he stayed at NU, he may have went in the 7th round. But at Kentucky, his role was the equivalent of a basketball player transferring to a good team and being told to his role was to shoot 20 times a game. He got the ball a lot, in good spots, and at an SEC school. Then tested better than what his film shows. It all worked out magically well for Wandale and his "team".

Kiper had Domann going as high as 3rd, but whatever teams ranked him that high must have had their needs filled before considering Domann. Obviously, a lot of other teams didn't even have him on their draft board. And I get it, he's smaller and teams aren't buying that he could play cover LB in the NFL. 4.6 speed on a fast track is good for LB but too slow for DB. Add in his age and injuries. But I think it's a mistake, the kid will make a team and play several years.

I didn't take it as vindictive. I think it's obvious that he benefited from his season at Kentucky. In fact, he benefited too much-- he was over drafted. He's a 4th rounder at best. If he stayed at NU, he may have went in the 7th round. But at Kentucky, his role was the equivalent of a basketball player transferring to a good team and being told to his role was to shoot 20 times a game. He got the ball a lot, in good spots, and at an SEC school. Then tested better than what his film shows. It all worked out magically well for Wandale and his "team".
I understand the reasoning but why the need to make it a public statement other than to jab Nebraska fans?

I understand the reasoning but why the need to make it a public statement other than to jab Nebraska fans?
Classless move. He was used at NU EXACTLY like he was told he would be used when he was recruited. There's no way he justifies his draft position going forward.

I can't say it wasn't a jab, but remember athletes don't have the tact that business professionals have and they don't lie like politicians. I think he was just being honest. As a Husker fan, I think we should own it. At NU, in my opinion, take his name off his jersey and say he's an anonymous player, I wasn't sure he was even starting caliber. Too small for RB and he could start at WR since we were weak at the position at that time.

While what you say is true, what Wandale says is truth as well for him.

There seems to be a pattern on this board, we don't want explayers or sports writers saying anything negative. Truth hurts sometimes!

The negative tone is he didn’t want to be a regular running back at Nebraska. He took some serious shots at Nebraska toting the ball. He feared for his health and being in one piece for the draft the next year. He had a great year and Kentucky had a good year. At Kentucky he was a wide receiver on offense that tried to get him the ball in space as much as possible. He made the wise choice, returned home to family and is revered in his home state.

What is ironic and makes me laugh is he was the chosen spokesperson for the football players in commenting on the beginning of the new football building for football and other student-athletes on the first floor. So Nebraska that ended up in being a bit embarrassed in the whole day announcement By the “future” of Nebraska football. I hold no ill resentment of Wandale. He did the smart thing, the logical thing in returning home to family, his native state and a offense that is more tailored to his talents and size.

Reactions: huskerfan66
Screw wandale. When people say "no disrespect", disrespect is the next thing coming out of their mouths. Zero reason to open his mouth, especially after the amount of support he received and still receives from husker fans.
remember this- when but is used forget about what was said previously

Vindictive ? I think he was just being honest.

• Haha
Wandale is all over the place and will say whatever he needs to in the moment... During the combine he was going on about how beneficial his time was at Nebraska and because of it his game was comparable to Deebo Samuel. Hope he finds a lengthy successful career in the league.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Just don't say anything then maybe, lol.

You don't have to kick someone when you are down. You do it because it makes you feel better.

Vindictive ? I think he was just being honest.
Well everyone can have their own opinion. BUT when you make a special effort to go out of your way to make that statement PUBLIC on the day you should just be celebrating being drafted, that's vindictive in my book.

I wonder if the Giants will run Wandale in between the tackles 15 times a game....

Yes he is. He was misused at NU and he was on an offense led by an inconsistent QB who was one of the worst QB's in NU history in terms of wins and losses.
He was the ONLY threat Nebraska had as most of the other players that could of helped either transfered, were injured or were a bust. If the running back room had produced ONE decent player, it would have helped Robinson achieve more in Lincoln. Not saying the same result as Ky but at least he could have played the receiver position. Has Nebraska ever had such a terrible group of RB as they did under Held?

Those words could really come back to bite Waa Waa Robinson.

Lots of WRs (and early draft picks) don’t pan out in the NFL. And it’s not like he’s going into an ideal opportunity. He’s got a pretty good slot in front of him in NY in Shepard. Has an awful QB throwing to him, especially when your talking accuracy. The NFL passing windows are small in the NFL, and extremely more small when you are short.

Wouldn’t it be freaking extremely funny if Toure ends up being better than Robinson? I mean I honestly like Samori’s opportunity better. Rodgers throwing to me vs Danny Dimes? And GB’s WR spots are wide open. And you know GB and A-Aron gives zero F’s about draft spot. It could happen

Those words could really come back to bite Waa Waa Robinson.

I mean I honestly like Samori’s opportunity better.

“The top second-round pick will sign a deal estimated to be a four-year, $8.68 million contract which includes a $3.87 million signing bonus, per Over the Cap. The last pick of the second round has a four-year, $5.24 million contract with a $1.37 million signing bonus.”

Call me crazy but I like Wandale’s position better

“The top second-round pick will sign a deal estimated to be a four-year, $8.68 million contract which includes a $3.87 million signing bonus, per Over the Cap. The last pick of the second round has a four-year, $5.24 million contract with a $1.37 million signing bonus.”

Call me crazy but I like Wandale’s position better
Do ya? I’m guessing you’d have said the same thing about Kevin White over Stefon Diggs in 2015 or Corey Coleman Over Tyreek Hill in 2016. Whose net worth would you chose now?

Rookie contracts are nice but the big money comes after that rookie contract. Will Robinson get a chance to get a big contract later? 🤷‍♂️

Do ya? I’m guessing you’d have said the same thing about Kevin White over Stefon Diggs in 2015 or Corey Coleman Over Tyreek Hill in 2016. Whose net worth would you chose now?
Yes - I will always take the 2nd round pick over the 7th round pick - always

and I will be correct far, far more than I’m wrong -

Just don't say anything then maybe, lol.

You don't have to kick someone when you are down. You do it because it makes you feel better.
Absolutely could have taken the high road and not said anything.

That said, it didn’t bother me what he did say. Truth hurts, and we’ve been a mess. Hoping that changes.

Yes - I will always take the 2nd round pick over the 7th round pick - always

and I will be correct far, far more than I’m wrong -
You can always say that but you won’t always be right either. Of course percentage wise you will be right more than wrong. But it’s not a certainty. Plenty of guys bust out and plenty of guys bust out because of their situation.

AND LIKE I SAID “those words could come back to bite Waa Waa”. The kid from Nebraska that was drafted has a greater situation on the field then the kid from UK.

Last edited:
The other funny thing about Wandale’s quote

Let’s play the what if game. I agree, he probably wouldn’t be drafted this year had he stayed

But had he stayed he might have been a first rounder next year and landed on a better team with a better chance at success.

Mickey’s put 2 of the top 12 WRs in the NFL in the league. Maybe a year with coach Joesph would have made Robinson even better. In other words, you never know where the untaken path would have led you.

Rookie contracts are nice but the big money comes after that rookie contract. Will Robinson get a chance to get a big contract later? 🤷‍♂️
Hill and Diggs were 5th round picks. The last good 7th round receiver was Julian Edelman in 2009. That would be 13 years ago.

Wan'Dale has already won the argument. He is getting paid. He made the right decision. There is no doubt Kentucky put him in a better position than he would ever have had at NU. What happens in his NFL career will now depend on his ability and will no longer be about what college he attended. However, 2nd round picks get a much longer looks than 7th round picks.

I certainly hope Toure does well, but NFL teams typically carry 5-6 WRs, and Green Bay drafted two receivers well ahead of Toure. Plus they have Watkins, Lazzard, and Cobb. That isn't a great group at all, but it won't be easy to find a place on the team either. I'd have to believe Rodgers would not be happy if half his receiving corps were rookies.

Reactions: schuele
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT