ADVERTISEMENT

Next question

4-3 D

Athletic Director
Jan 15, 2007
Assuming Rhule is N, he has history with the 4-3 defense, but switched to a 3-3-5 in 2019 at Baylor and won 11 games lowering his scoring D from 31 to 20 (avg opponent score). What defense will he decide on for the Big 10? Unless NU can add quality depth to the D-line I wouldn't be surprised to see the 3-3-5 as base. Any thoughts?

Big Brother Relax GIF by Big Brother After Dark

• Haha
Reactions: dinglefritz
Assuming Rhule is N, he has history with the 4-3 defense, but switched to a 3-3-5 in 2019 at Baylor and won 11 games lowering his scoring D from 31 to 20 (avg opponent score). What defense will he decide on for the Big 10? Unless NU can add quality depth to the D-line I wouldn't be surprised to see the 3-3-5 as base. Any thoughts?
Always considered the 3-3-5 as a spread orientated defense and probably better suited to the Big12

Might be undermanned against Iowa, Minnesota, Wisconsin

One of the reasons I think KSU is performing well in the big12 as they are more run heavy which big12 defenses may struggle against

Last edited:
That would work on passing downs or teams like Purdue.
4-3 with way more speed as Nebraska lacks speed.
Look at how fast Hausman is and how well he is doing.
His speed is making up for some of his mistakes. Speed kills and cannot be taught yet it can be recruited

His speed is making up for some of his mistakes. Speed kills and cannot be taught yet it can be recruited
Great comment!

Reactions: blackshirts
Besides getting more speed on the field for spread offenses & on passing downs, it allows DC's to confuse offenses by using a special player/athlete on run support or in a blitz package as Rhule did. I heard someone say if D-line isn't a strength this scheme can help defend in a different way with a special player who moves around confusing the offense.

Last edited:
We do have the speed on the defensive side of the ball. That secondary is full of speed.

no way...none. 3-3-5 eeek. every big 10 team would run for 300 yds on yds

Reactions: bomber89 and WHCSC
I'm personally more of a fan of a 4-2-5 defense, if not 4-3. 5-2 with hybrid player or two could be fun too though

Not near as fast as some we have had in the past.
Other than Hausman
Linebackers are slow
Hertzog is fast Neeson is as well
Hertzog is a true freshman
Newsome runs a 4.4, Buford runs a 4.5, Miles Farmer runs a 4.4/4.5 Tannor for a DE runs a 4.6. Kpai ILB runs a 4.4 no joke

Reactions: BleedRed78
Newsome runs a 4.4, Buford runs a 4.5, Miles Farmer runs a 4.4/4.5 Tannor for a DE runs a 4.6. Kpai ILB runs a 4.4 no joke
Buford unfortunately won't run that anymore
His knee injury is really bad
I said Newsome is fast
Kpai hasn't played yet.
We still need more speed
All over

• Sad
Hausmann is already at 225 and he's only a Freshman, Reimer is 235, Herich is 235
Reimer is not 225 no matter what he’s listed at. Listen to a Charlie MCBride. He specifically mentioned our backers and D line as a group need to get bigger to play in the B1G. Don’t get hung up in the reported weight on the roster. Those weights are rarely accurate

Odd fronts are nothing new, playing Michigan or Wisconsin, just play the third safety (the Hawk) in the 3-3-5 as an OLB & you have a 3-4 (hate base 3-4 D's), in the 90's NU played safeties all the time at OLB in their 4-3.

Or pull the third safety (Hawk) & bring in a DE or DT & you have an even front. The 3-3-5 is very flexible, I'd almost be surprised if he doesn't use it as base or at least against spread teams. Time will tell.

Last edited:
Reimer is not 225 no matter what he’s listed at. Listen to a Charlie MCBride. He specifically mentioned our backers and D line as a group need to get bigger to play in the B1G. Don’t get hung up in the reported weight on the roster. Those weights are rarely accurate
He is 235

Tell that to someone that is about to have back to back 100 tackle seasons bud. Reimer had 108 last year.
He is making those tackles 7+ yards past the line of scrimmage after he is finally able to disengage from an offensive lineman…. bud

He is making those tackles 7+ yards past the line of scrimmage after he is finally able to disengage from an offensive lineman…. bud
LBs aren't supposed to engage OLmen as that's the DL and DE's jobs. By the Way the 2 starting MLBs on the 95 squad

Doug Coleman 6'4 240
Phil Ellis 6'2 225

Luke Reimer 6'2 230 was wrong he's not 235, he's 230
Nick Henrich 6'3 235

Last edited:
I heard that he runs an attacking 4-3 defense and a I formation that incorporates play action passes and the option, along with a power running attack. It's just what I heard!

ADVERTISEMENT