ADVERTISEMENT

News from the DB room

Fisher also mentioned how the older guys Deontaii, DiCap, Taylor-Britt and Dismuke are handling their business working out 3x a day and leading, teaching younger guys.
He likes Newsome (no mention of injury) and Farmer mentioning how they’re physically ready.
He says Delancy’s jumped right in.

Fisher is excited about Braxton Clark pushing for starter status.

No mention of Javin Wright which doesn’t need to mean much other than maybe hinting he’s spending more time in the OLB room.

The DB room definitely is much more experienced this year and has plenty of talent. The key, of course as always, is whether they can stay healthy.

The DB room definitely is much more experienced this year and has plenty of talent. The key, of course as always, is whether they can stay healthy.
We’re not as deep as we’d like to be, but we can probably absorb injuries much better now. If Newsome and NPG can play then we’re sitting pretty good with depth.

Last year D Williams injury in game 1 really derailed that entire room. They were open saying Dismuke and Taylor-Britt played through some injury issues.
But now there’s a few more guys who should be ready to step in.

I’d take everything Fisher says with a grain of salt. Last summer he said Dismuke was the most improved player in the DB and then Dismuke proceeeded to play very little.

Reactions: TheBeav815
I wonder if Joseph gets his grades and makes it, if we could add this guy for a 2021 miss in recruiting? Obviously that would be down the road once we know he was a better option then what we had left for 2021 prospects.
I'm guessing this guy would want to transfer in time for fall camp and probably wont last long. Does Francois free up a scholly right now? We had one open before he left.

Groundhog day time. Each year we promise ourselves we won't chow down on fluff during the offseason "Coaches praising guys and saying they improved because WTF else do you expect them to say" days before and during fall camp.

Each year we do it again anyhow. Here we go talking ourselves into the idea that a very thin secondary is going to break out and beat the world.

They should be improved as a group, let's pray to every deity we can think of they don't miss time with injuries, because it gets super young in a huge hurry behind a few starters. Let's hope Joseph gets eligible and comes in making a Zack Bowman type impact.

We're in the era where you need 5-6 guys ready to play starters' minutes just to match up properly in sub packages. Factor in fatigue and injuries and that number is more like 8-10 guys. We are not confidently 8 deep in the defensive backfield. We're not even confident we have two starting safeties playing their natural position.

CTB probably lines up back there with Williams first snap of the year but you'd love to have the luxury of letting Cam get that other corner spot or roll down in Nickel because he can cover man-to-man and play the run fairly well.

It comes back to bite them that OLB was so bad off they had to move Domann down there full time. They went and tried to do the same thing with Javin Wright, they may have to reverse course there. Maybe they're trying to play them in that "peso" role like NU did with Eric Hagg where they're sort of a nickel but with better run support ability.

I'm guessing this guy would want to transfer in time for fall camp and probably wont last long. Does Francois free up a scholly right now? We had one open before he left.
No, that scholarship won't be available until 2021. I think they should revisit that, especially if they are going to grant the players waivers to be immediately eligible.

No, that scholarship won't be available until 2021. I think they should revisit that, especially if they are going to grant the players waivers to be immediately eligible.
I think the school can apply for an exemption on that scholarship. Sorta cuts both ways, you try to cost all parties involved a year if they just wanna quit on each other before a season even happens.

IMO if a kid transfers without playing a season it should cost him two years. Make them stick it out a year, going away to college is hard. Give them a reason to hang in there and get adjusted.

I wonder if we will look into this one...???

Same high school as Fleming Delancy and Terrence Lewis.

Definitely the type of target we may go after. I would think we should be able to use Francois’ spot now and take both DB’s, but I see headcard said they’d have to wait which is a nonsense rule.

Either way, if we can land him or Nadab somehow, just getting one would be nice.

I think the school can apply for an exemption on that scholarship. Sorta cuts both ways, you try to cost all parties involved a year if they just wanna quit on each other before a season even happens.

IMO if a kid transfers without playing a season it should cost him two years. Make them stick it out a year, going away to college is hard. Give them a reason to hang in there and get adjusted.
i could go either way with that idea... I get the frustration with having a kid quite on the team before a single snap is even played. However I also get the sting of being that far away from home for the first time... I know as a young man that joined the military right out of high school I got very home sick and and wanted to go back home... as time went on that homesick definitely went away and have since loved my time in the military...

what I don’t like about the two years sitting is at that point it messes with the kids potential to succeed and make some money for himself... I do think there NEEDS to be some kind of reform to ensure that kids stay at least a year, the schools put a lot of money towards a kid just to recruit them, If I was the NCAA I’d say we will not process any transfer papers for a kid until a year after the LOI is signed...The only exception would be in extreme cases, like a death in the family and at that point if the waiver was submitted to be close to family then they’d have to transfer to a college within a certain radius of their home of record/ graduating high school... the transferring has gotten out of hand and I know it isn’t just good ol Nebraska U that’s been effected by it... but it sure seems our transfers are coming from position groups that can’t afford to lose them...

i could go either way with that idea... I get the frustration with having a kid quite on the team before a single snap is even played. However I also get the sting of being that far away from home for the first time... I know as a young man that joined the military right out of high school I got very home sick and and wanted to go back home... as time went on that homesick definitely went away and have since loved my time in the military...

what I don’t like about the two years sitting is at that point it messes with the kids potential to succeed and make some money for himself... I do think there NEEDS to be some kind of reform to ensure that kids stay at least a year, the schools put a lot of money towards a kid just to recruit them, If I was the NCAA I’d say we will not process any transfer papers for a kid until a year after the LOI is signed...The only exception would be in extreme cases, like a death in the family and at that point if the waiver was submitted to be close to family then they’d have to transfer to a college within a certain radius of their home of record/ graduating high school... the transferring has gotten out of hand and I know it isn’t just good ol Nebraska U that’s been effected by it... but it sure seems our transfers are coming from position groups that can’t afford to lose them...
It's a wash, in theory, vs. the idea that he stays a year at that school and then transfers and has to sit out a year which is how it is now.

I had a very hard time adjusting to college, I feel for them. I think there are some kids who are never gonna make it in college and there are others where they would benefit from being told they need to stick it out for a year and making an effort to like it where they are.

I continue to think enrolling in January is one of the absolute worst things a HS kid can do. I don't feel the spring of weights and a handful of practices is worth the emotional baggage of missing the rest of their senior year and being behind the curve on meeting friends and going through that experience of all the freshmen being new and clueless together. Seems like a lot of early enrollees have flamed out at NU going all the way back to Curt Dukes.

ADVERTISEMENT