ADVERTISEMENT

Newby emerging at RB

That's pretty strong praise from the RB coach in that article. From what we have seen in the past years Newby does have a really nice burst but his vision has been a problem. A number of times I remember thinking, "How could Ameer miss that hole?" only to realize it was Newby in the game. From Davis' comments it seems like there is real improvement there.

From what I have seen of Riley's offense the RB needs a real burst. There are lots of draws and quick hitters and a guy who takes a while to get rumbling probably isn't going to be an every down back.

Doesnt surprise me that much. Give me the 5'8"-5'11" back almost always above the 6'1"+ back.
Long list of shorter backs that are great. Much shorter for those tall backs.

Tall backs tend to run higher, less shifty (usually) take more hits.

We've missed out on some GREAT backs because they were "too small". How many ok'ish big backs have we had?

Newby is a one cut and go running back with elite speed. He was never an ideal back for the last offense because so much if that scheme was contingent upon deceiving defenders in space.

Terrell can excel in this type of scheme. Ironically though, I think Newby never should've been recruited by the last regime. I'm glad he's here, but Tim Becks scheme was built more for shorter and shiftier backs who could dart out from behind a much larger offensive linemen. A back like that must have extreme lateral quickness and ridiculous vision. Burkhead and Ameer were both ideal. Wilbon also fits that mold.

Guys like Newby and Adam Taylor are more suited for a one cut and go system. Riley uses counters constantly. If you can get the defense to flow one direction, while a speed guy like Newby can explode vertically the other direction, you can reel off big plays.

Newby has great speed and quickness. This is good news, it seemed like he wasn't able to make a solid transition to the speed of the college game. This may be just my perception, but Newby struggles to hold on to the rock, and like Tom said, he struggles with vision. If he puts those issues behind him, look out.

I'm very excited to see Newby involved in our RB screen game. I think he is going to put up some serious numbers provided drops aren't a problem.

Originally posted by SilentCommit:
Newby has great speed and quickness. This is good news, it seemed like he wasn't able to make a solid transition to the speed of the college game. This may be just my perception, but Newby struggles to hold on to the rock, and like Tom said, he struggles with vision. If he puts those issues behind him, look out.
Disagree on the quickness, at least laterally. As others have said, he's a North to South guy with good acceleration and very good speed.

Coming back from a broke ankle is no joke. He's gonna be a while getting back to being in a natural form.

LOVE seeing how James Jones was back to hang out with Williams and sing his praises. Kids notice that stuff.

He was all everything in SoCal coming out of high school, however, that does not always equate to success in college. He will do much better in Riley`s offense but he needs to hold onto the ball.

I think all the RBs will flourish under new/better coaching and a better overall offensive system for each of their specific skill sets.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT