ADVERTISEMENT

New walk-on: WR Alex Bullock

HominidHusker

First Team All-Big Ten
Jun 25, 2018
Creighton Prep’s 6’1” 190 lb WR turned down scholly offer from SDSU to walk on for us.
He caught 56 passes 761 yds and 11 TDs this year.
Welcome aboard kid.

““I am a really competitive guy and I know Coach Frost is too and he’s trying to bring back a winning culture,” he said. “I just want to be a part of that and help Nebraska get back to where they once were. The players deserve it, the coaching staff deserves it, and all of the fans deserve it, so I just thought why not go make as big of an impact as I can.”

Creighton Prep’s 6’1” 190 lb WR turned down scholly offer from SDSU to walk on for us.
He caught 56 passes 761 yds and 11 TDs this year.
Welcome aboard kid.

““I am a really competitive guy and I know Coach Frost is too and he’s trying to bring back a winning culture,” he said. “I just want to be a part of that and help Nebraska get back to where they once were. The players deserve it, the coaching staff deserves it, and all of the fans deserve it, so I just thought why not go make as big of an impact as I can.”
Too many walk-ons. There, I said it.

Too many walk-ons. There, I said it.

Uncomfortable truth - programs don’t get more coaches

the larger the walk-on program - the more diluted the individual instruction and less reps players get

big reason why Neb isn’t seeing talented Freshman get playing time - their development is being stunted by excessive roster numbers

Last edited:

the larger the walk-on program - the more diluted the individual instruction and less reps players get

big reason why Neb isn’t seeing talented Freshman get playing time - their development is being stunted by all the walk-ons
that and there was no spring ball.....and Betts had trouble qualifying academically.....and Fleming was on a mini vacation in FL when he should have been here learning the playbook....and virtually noone knew if there would even be a fall season.....but yeah let's blame the feel good stories who we all love if they're any good and hate if the suck. Makes sense.

that and there was no spring ball.....and Betts had trouble qualifying academically.....and Fleming was on a mini vacation in FL when he should have been here learning the playbook....and virtually noone knew if there would even be a fall season.....but yeah let's blame the feel good stories who we all love if they're any good and hate if the suck. Makes sense.

all the more reasons to maximize individual attention in order to get your most talented athletes ready to go instead of diluting it with overinflated numbers of Div 2 talent

the problem also isn't unique to this year --

it's like taking a classroom from 15 kids to 30 and wondering why there isn't more individual instruction

big reason why Neb isn’t seeing talented Freshman get playing time - their development is being stunted by all the walk-ons

I see what you're saying. Callahan said the same thing. He wasn't fond of his scholarship players not getting the reps in practice. I'm not against the walk-on program but I am against having 150 guys on the team. That's just too much.

Reactions: headcard and jlb321
all the more reasons to maximize individual attention in order to get your most talented athletes ready to go instead of diluting it with overinflated numbers of Div 2 talent

the problem also isn't unique to this year --

it's like taking a classroom from 15 kids to 30 and wondering why there isn't more individual instruction
Horse shit. Used to be a strength coach with groups that big. Demand their attention when you walk in to the room, and be a good coach. Not a numbers problem, that's a respect problem if they aren't attentive enough.

Reactions: Thortulz
I see what you're saying. Callahan said the same thing. He wasn't fond of his scholarship players not getting the reps in practice. I'm not against the walk-on program but I am against having 150 guys on the team. That's just too much.
I'll bet you were cool with 150 under Osborne when we won titles.

Not knocking what you're saying but WE as fans, specially on this board, believe that we work harder than anyone else in the country during the offseason and we're the only team that goes through academic issues/disciplinary issues during the offseason. Everybody goes through problems and it's becoming apparent that most teams improve at a greater rate at football than we do. Yes, I'm looking at pretty much everyone in the B10. Everyone this year with the exception of Us, Penn State, Michigan and Minnesota has improved.

Last edited:
Horse shit. Used to be a strength coach with groups that big. Demand their attention when you walk in to the room, and be a good coach. Not a numbers problem, that's a respect problem if they aren't attentive enough.

the strength coach is going to teach them the play book
or the nuances of route running - reading a defense ... etc etc?

talent development is being choked off due to unmanageable numbers

the strength coach is going to teach them the play book
or the nuances of route running - reading a defense ... etc etc?

talent development is being choked off due to unmanageable numbers
Different coach, same concept. Doesn't matter the group size. Be organized, be respected, and be effective in communication.

Different era. Name me one team consistently in the top 10 that has had that many players in the past decade? No one.
That era comment is an excuse because you know I'm right. Everything is fine when you win games, simply put. I can't name anyone because no one does it like that. Name anyone besides Nebraska that has ever been in the top 10 that has ever done it like Nebraska? You can't. Weak argument.

Different coach, same concept. Doesn't matter the group size. Be organized, be respected, and be effective in communication.

then maybe this particular set of coaches isn't equipped to effectively handle those numbers

maybe it's not the players that are slow blinkers -- maybe its the coaches

if I were a scholarship recruit I would be concerned about my development opportunities and reps being limited

giphy.gif

Different era. Name me one team consistently in the top 10 that has had that many players in the past decade? No one.
Clemson had a walk on wide receiver who not only started by made crucial plays in their first National Championship against Alabama. I'm pretty sure he caught the game winner for them. Last I knew the guy was playing in the NFL. Some our most productive WRs have been walk ons. ONE thing that has changed since TO's era is scholarship limits. We're getting guys now as walk ons that Tom used to take on scholarship when he first took over as head coach. JLB is a f'n Minnesota troll. Don't feed him.

Reactions: WHCSC
Not knocking what you're saying but WE as fans, specially on this board, believe that we work harder than anyone else in the country during the offseason and we're the only team that goes through academic issues/disciplinary issues during the offseason. Everybody goes through problems and it's becoming apparent that most teams improve at a greater rate at football than we do. Yes, I'm looking at pretty much everyone in the B10. Everyone this year with the exception of Us, Penn State, Michigan and Minnesota has improved.
Everyone needs to put their god damn emotions aside from Saturday and move on. It was a train wreck. I get it, not denying that. Tom Brady is the GOAT and in my honest opinion hasn't looked awesome this year. Those two go hand in hand. It happens. I know it's happened to us a lot more than not under Frost but it happens.

In saying that, put your emotions aside and think logically.

1. Our DLine is vastly improved in 2020. Overall, they've played at a much higher level

2. Our LBs are night and day different than even 2019. They've taken a big step all around

3. O-Line size and strength and just pure physical appearance has improved drastically. I know everyone is pissed off right now still, I'm coming back down to earth today but am still not thrilled about Saturday, I'm not denying that. But, our lines will not get pushed around on Friday like we've in the past. They will handle it. The "trenches" have vastly improved over the last 2 years. I understand Cam has snapping issues still and that needs fixed but overall it's much better.

4. Zavier Betts is one of the fastest kids I've seen on TV on a football field in a long time. Fleming is sharp. Brown is also fast. Marvin Scott looks like 2018 Ozigbo without the experience.

5. Our overall talent is much better than it has been.

Put the emotions aside and see clearly. Yes, we have issues that need worked out, no doubt about it. But to say we're not improving is letting your Saturday emotions cloud your judgement.

then maybe this particular set of coaches isn't equipped to effectively handle those numbers

maybe it's not the players that are slow blinkers -- maybe its the coaches

if I were a scholarship recruit I would be concerned about my development opportunities and reps being limited

giphy.gif
lol love the gif. Fair assessment. Part of what I said above, coach better then or find guys who can. I'm fine with that. But to say walk ons or too many walk ons are to blame is simply false.

Clemson had a walk on wide receiver who not only started by made crucial plays in their first National Championship against Alabama. I'm pretty sure he caught the game winner for them. Last I knew the guy was playing in the NFL. Some our most productive WRs have been walk ons. ONE thing that has changed since TO's era is scholarship limits. We're getting guys now as walk ons that Tom used to take on scholarship when he first took over as head coach. JLB is a f'n Minnesota troll. Don't feed him.

no one is saying do away with all walk-ons

Clemsons roster is 119

lol love the gif. Fair assessment. Part of what I said above, coach better then or find guys who can. I'm fine with that. But to say walk ons or too many walk ons are to blame is simply false.

so the options are:

1 - scale back the roster size to a number that this coaching staff can handle and develop
2 - keep the roster size the same and find a new set of coaches that can manage it

That era comment is an excuse because you know I'm right. Everything is fine when you win games, simply put. I can't name anyone because no one does it like that. Name anyone besides Nebraska that has ever been in the top 10 that has ever done it like Nebraska? You can't. Weak argument.

When was the last time we were in the top 10 consistently? Now piss off.

so the options are:

1 - scale back the roster size to a number that this coaching staff can handle and develop
2 - keep the roster size the same and find a new set of coaches that can manage it
If position coaches aren't getting it done then that's fine. Which ones are you suggesting so this isn't a revolving door of coaches that hasn't worked in 15 years? Frost aint going anywhere so go ahead and accept that now.

If position coaches aren't getting it done then that's fine. Which ones are you suggesting so this isn't a revolving door of coaches that hasn't worked in 15 years? Frost aint going anywhere so go ahead and accept that now.

Is your son a walk-on or were you a walk-on?? Why are you defending having 150 guys on a team? Nobody is talking about getting rid of the program. It’s just senseless to have that many.

Reactions: Husker_AMG63
Answer my question and I'll gladly piss off. Who else has ever done it like this besides Osborne and Frost?

Tom did it and won, largely due to just being the goat. Just because one guy in the history did it (30 years ago) doesn’t mean it’s a proven method for success. Frost hasn’t done anything yet so don’t include his name in this. Sounds like you’re stuck in 1995, get with the times bra.

What's your point? That's their way of doing it, that's fine.
Clemson's roster is 119 in part because they recruit a lot of 4 and 5 stars and lose guys early to the NFL fairly often. I don't think we're to that point yet...... I look at it this way. EVEN CLEMSON WHO IS CONSISTENTLY ONE OF THE TOP RECRUITING PROGRAMS IN THE COUNTRY HAS OVER 30 WALK ONS IN THEIR PROGRAM. Let that sink in. The way we run practice, the numbers aren't a problem for us to deal with. The only problem it created was locker room space. There's virtually ZERO standing around waiting for reps during practice and we've been able to identify multiple guys on defense and offense who have played from those guys.

The Minnesota troll isn't posting these things because he really thinks it is what's best for Nebraska. He's posting them to start pissing matches.

Clemson's roster is 119 in part because they recruit a lot of 4 and 5 stars and lose guys early to the NFL fairly often. I don't think we're to that point yet...... I look at it this way. EVEN CLEMSON WHO IS CONSISTENTLY ONE OF THE TOP RECRUITING PROGRAMS IN THE COUNTRY HAS OVER 30 WALK ONS IN THEIR PROGRAM. Let that sink in. The way we run practice, the numbers aren't a problem for us to deal with. The only problem it created was locker room space. There's virtually ZERO standing around waiting for reps during practice and we've been able to identify multiple guys on defense and offense who have played from those guys.
That's exactly my point. Thank you

ADVERTISEMENT