ADVERTISEMENT

New State-Of-The-Art Training Facility!!

Exactly. My thought is if you are going to do this and put in 150 million it might as well be the top 5 in the country if not the best. If it isn't towards the very top then there is really no point in doing it because we will be towards the bottom again in 5-10 years. If we are the best we might be able to get 20 years out of it.

Agree. I hope they definitely surpass the rest of the BIG rather than “possibly surpass or at least equal” other schools

I don't like the athletic facilities arms race, but you have to keep up with everyone else I guess. Seems like by the time they're actually built, they're almost outdated already.
True that! Better add another $75 million to the project.

Reactions: WHCSC
I've pledged $2,000,000 for this project. Now, I need about $50,000 from each of you! ;)

There will soon come a day when we stop compensating athletes with fancy lockers, game rooms, lights, etc and start paying them a portion of what they actually earn for the athletic department.

...but until that day comes, I'm happy that my team is choosing to play the game AND announce it on an important recruiting weekend.

List of Big 10 Schools that had football facility upgrades:
- Purdue - $65 million dollar project.
- Illinois recently completed a $79.2 million dollar project.
- Iowa - $55 million dollar project that included a 23,000 square
foot weight room.
- Minnesota recently completed a $166 million Athletes Village project.
- Maryland is currently is in the middle of a $155 million dollar project.
- Northwestern - the spaceship football facility by Lake Michigan in Evanston, IL - that whole project cost them $270 million dollars including the Welsh Ryan Arena.
Oregon had a $68 million project when Scott was coaching there so he'll have a lot of input on what he wants in the new NU facility when they build it.

How can Maryland afford that kind of project when they have to take a loan out to buy in to the BTN network? That's some BS if you ask me.

I really have no idea, but I didn't think any taxes would be used to build it. It is all private donation and UNL funded no?
Who funds the university
I don't know how you could say that. I'm pretty sure the Husker football program generates quite a bit of money and has a very positive impact on the local economies, especially when doing well.
nebraska footballs profit was only 8 million last year

There will soon come a day when we stop compensating athletes with fancy lockers, game rooms, lights, etc and start paying them a portion of what they actually earn for the athletic department.

...but until that day comes, I'm happy that my team is choosing to play the game AND announce it on an important recruiting weekend.

Totally disagree, it would be the end of college sports if that were to happen. And every small market school/state would be at a huge disadvantage and yes that would include Nebraska. No clue why some people are infatuated that cause.

But to keep this topic can be on another thread. Great use of funds for improving something our state has so much pride in!

Reactions: GILL T
Who funds the university

LMAO, t's not being paid for with just one year of football profit. And the contribution to the Nebraska economy was far more significant and is extremely important to the state. And we all know the bulk of the money is coming from private alumni donations anyway.

Where did Northwestern get that kind of money?
BIG TV money is the great equalizer, even if nobody comes to your games. We had a bigger advantage in the old days selling out a big stadium, etc.

BIG TV money is the great equalizer, even if nobody comes to your games. We had a bigger advantage in the old days selling out a big stadium, etc.

Nebraska wasn't just selling out the stadium they were one of only a handful of teams regularly on tv for a very long time. It's crazy to remember how few CFB games were on in the 80's and 90's (the 70's too I'm sure, even more so).
But much of Northwestern's cash comes from successful alumni that have been successful with that good education. I'd say they should do something about that sleepy little stadium but they don't sell it out all too often.

One thing to think about is the whole budget will not go to the football facility. I believe the plans are also to include a new pool among other items. When Iowa built their new pool 10 years ago the cost was over $50M. Granted this included some general rec facilities as well but I would imagine at least $50M to $75M will be earmarked for non-football items.

New Yes, but does one do now with the Old?

I think they have plans for the North side facility..What that is we don’t know till maybe this afternoon...

They could make it into a entire weight room or they could make it into a large locker room but I’m just thinking out side the box what they could use it for..

One thing to think about is the whole budget will not go to the football facility. I believe the plans are also to include a new pool among other items. When Iowa built their new pool 10 years ago the cost was over $50M. Granted this included some general rec facilities as well but I would imagine at least $50M to $75M will be earmarked for non-football items.
Reports say there will be 3 facilities: football, golf and swimming. No price tags for any of them or the total (except well over $100 million) until maybe that is detailed in the press conference this afternoon.

Who funds the university

https://www.quora.com/Are-universities-funded-by-state-taxes-or-federal-taxes If they do get taxes, sounds like it isn't much and probably not enough that it would go towards the 150 million. Pretty sure not enough where it would affect me or you and our taxes. I thought I heard awhile back that most of these type of things are funded through private donations/ endowment funds

New Yes, but does one do now with the Old?

For those of you who have never toured the facilities, Nebraska still uses a lot of dark, crowded space under the West Stadium for things like the training table and academic support. Yes, the last round of expansion got the weight room out of the dark West Stadium area, and the coaches' offices out of the old South Stadium building, but there are still plenty of places where the ceiling is the underside of the stadium stands. There's no natural light, and it pretty much looks like a bomb shelter.

Undoubtedly all student-athletes could benefit from a new building that is up to a minimum standard for the average academic building. Rooms with windows, higher ceilings, modern climate control, etc.

Reactions: headcard
Nebraska wasn't just selling out the stadium they were one of only a handful of teams regularly on tv for a very long time. It's crazy to remember how few CFB games were on in the 80's and 90's (the 70's too I'm sure, even more so).
But much of Northwestern's cash comes from successful alumni that have been successful with that good education. I'd say they should do something about that sleepy little stadium but they don't sell it out all too often.
I know that Northwestern has a lot of successful alumni, but I doubt that most of them would put up money for lavish football facilities for the players.

Reactions: zrob
I know that Northwestern has a lot of successful alumni, but I doubt that most of them would put up money for lavish football facilities for the players.
Not a lot of people realize that NW's facility is multi-sport, it's not just for their football program.

I was reading the article thinking that the Hawks is basically brand new and then they said 2006 and I had to be like, "Man...that was 13 years ago."

It seems crazy to move out of a facility only 13 years old but that's the CFB arms race and also that was a time that Callahan had really pared down the walk-on program so the roster size was much less than what it is now.

To get 150 dudes through everything you're doing, I can see where you want a lot of square footage. Do I think any school truly NEEDS these kinds of facilities, let alone the also-rans of every P5 program? Hell no, but that's the state of big-boy football now.

NU wants to be a national title contender and they need to be in the elite of everything to make that happen. If we don't, someone else will. We can't put hamburger helper on the table and then go wonder why recruits wanna sign with the school that offers them steak.

More like $45M but I digress.

Thanks. I knew there was no way it was only $8M but I was too lazy to look it up.
Yeah $150 is a lot but I don't think the average person recognizes how important the Huskers are to the state economically (and of course to the university). It will indirectly pay for itself.

I hope that the new facilities are not only large, but visually stunning as well. No beige rectangular box please with few windows. I want this place to really stand out.

I agree, we have to keep up with the Joneses. I just don't like that universities spend so many millions on facilities and coaches salaries, yet the players who put their bodies on the line can't even profit off of their own likenesses. College athletics are no longer "amateur" sports.
It is worth the investment for the state. If a team can win a national title that is LITERALLY the best marketing for a public university. Enrollment skyrockets once a team wins a national title...it is a stupid that a kid would pay out of state tuition to go to a school because of a football championship but people are stupid and they spend to go to champions. Lincoln reaps the benefits, then you get more alumni, more donors, and the ball gets rollin'...more people move to Nebraska, start businesses, bring in business, and the whole area benefits because of a championship. It is stupid but it is reality.

Moos said in the press conference that they are 35-40% done with fundraising. So that means they already have commitments of $50 million from "donors of substance." That means the people who matter are voting their support of Scott Frost and the athletic department. From the Huskers.com announcement:

"The facility will provide the Nebraska football program with a new locker room, strength and conditioning center, athletic medicine facility, equipment room, meeting rooms, coaches' offices and an additional outdoor practice field. Plans for the building also include the training table and academic support facilities for student-athletes across all 24 Nebraska sports."

It's a little bit crazy they are talking about another new weight room and locker room. That's a pretty strong statement about how poorly the last expansion was executed. So what will happen to it? From Huskers.com:

"As for the existing football facility in North Stadium, Moos said the Athletic Department's external operations, currently spread throughout Memorial Stadium and across the street, would occupy that space to be all in one location. That affects operations such as HuskerVision, ticket offices, development, communications and others.

"The current weight room could turn into a 'museum-type setting,' Moos said, for social events, and showcase the accomplishments of Nebraska athletics."

For those of you familiar with Oklahoma athletic facilities, they have a very impressive museum. Texas just opened a Hall of Fame last month inside DKR. With so much amazing history at Nebraska, but most of it before current recruits were born, a museum sounds like a very good idea. Impress upon these people that joining Nebraska is like joining Notre Dame or Alabama. The wins, the historical rivalries, the championships, the legendary players, etc. Have it in museum-quality displays, not just a single glass trophy case in a dark hallway.

Moos said in the press conference that they are 35-40% done with fundraising. So that means they already have commitments of $50 million from "donors of substance." That means the people who matter are voting their support of Scott Frost and the athletic department. From the Huskers.com announcement:

"The facility will provide the Nebraska football program with a new locker room, strength and conditioning center, athletic medicine facility, equipment room, meeting rooms, coaches' offices and an additional outdoor practice field. Plans for the building also include the training table and academic support facilities for student-athletes across all 24 Nebraska sports."

It's a little bit crazy they are talking about another new weight room and locker room. That's a pretty strong statement about how poorly the last expansion was executed. So what will happen to it? From Huskers.com:

"As for the existing football facility in North Stadium, Moos said the Athletic Department's external operations, currently spread throughout Memorial Stadium and across the street, would occupy that space to be all in one location. That affects operations such as HuskerVision, ticket offices, development, communications and others.

"The current weight room could turn into a 'museum-type setting,' Moos said, for social events, and showcase the accomplishments of Nebraska athletics."

For those of you familiar with Oklahoma athletic facilities, they have a very impressive museum. Texas just opened a Hall of Fame last month inside DKR. With so much amazing history at Nebraska, but most of it before current recruits were born, a museum sounds like a very good idea. Impress upon these people that joining Nebraska is like joining Notre Dame or Alabama. The wins, the historical rivalries, the championships, the legendary players, etc. Have it in museum-quality displays, not just a single glass trophy case in a dark hallway.

Believe it was mentioned that the currant weight room would be for history with memorabilia...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT