ADVERTISEMENT

New State-Of-The-Art Training Facility!!

I thought this was always a few years out, but the sooner the better IMO. Husker football is on the way back to the top, we just have to be patient!

Probably 2-3 years of construction so technically you’re right.

I think the timing with the Huge recruiting wkd makes sense, show them the campus, the coaches, the sick night game day atmosphere and dangle some slick new facilities that will prob be done once they are college redshirt freshman/Sophomore

Probably 2-3 years of construction so technically you’re right.

I think the timing with the Huge recruiting wkd makes sense, show them the campus, the coaches, the sick night game day atmosphere and dangle some slick new facilities that will prob be done once they are college redshirt freshman/Sophomore
Yeah I have no idea how long this size of project takes. I would bet 2-3 years as well. The soonest, be in it by the start of the 2021 football season? Probably closer to the 2022.

These facilities will put NU back in front of the facilities race and people around the nation and recruits are going to be shocked when they are done.
Clouse and Callahan both said the general rule of thumb is it takes about 18 months give or take to complete a project to this size once they break ground.

I don't like the athletic facilities arms race, but you have to keep up with everyone else I guess. Seems like by the time they're actually built, they're almost outdated already.

I'm also not comfortable with the facilities arms race that has been happening in college football the last 20 years. Everybody builds these palaces to get ahead, but so does everybody else to keep up with the Joneses. In the end, they're all back on a level playing field again. The only people who really benefit are the architectural firms that specialize in stadiums and sports venues. But it is what it is. Nebraska is certainly not a big enough fish to ignore the competition and get away with it. Not with our infertile recruiting ground.

I think a big problem at Nebraska is that they went with a very low-budget, conservative design in the last round of upgrades. They tore down the old Field House, and in its place built something that looked like the old Field House. Rather than go crazy with an over-the-top locker room, they built one that wasn't even big enough to hold the whole team. Almost immediately they had to start putting walk-ons in the old locker room as overflow. The weight room was nice, but not everybody could be in it at the same time. Some of the meeting rooms and offices were too small almost from the start. Sometimes fiscally responsible only means cheap. They did it on the shoestring budget, and are now paying for it. Had they done it right the first time, it might only need minor refreshes for new technology and trends in the industry.

https://nebraska.rivals.com/news/nu-will-announce-plans-for-new-football-facilities-on-Friday
In what has been one of the worst kept secrets in the world, the Nebraska Athletic Department announced on Thursday they will have a press conference Friday at 1:30 pm to unveil plans for new facilities.

The press conference will be held at the East Stadium Plaza, near the Nebraska Athletic Hall of Fame and columns. Several “key University officials” will be in attendance.

It's assumed at this time we'll learn more about the plans for a new football facility that is expected to be built east of Memorial Stadium where the current Ed Weir track sits.

The timing of this announcement also makes sense, as NU will have over 10 official visitors in this weekend for the Ohio State game, along with ESPN's College GameDay broadcasting live from Lincoln on Saturday morning.

The last time Nebraska went through a major facilities upgrade for the football program was in 2004 when NU announced the $50 million North Stadium project.

Reactions: SOHusker11
I'm also not comfortable with the facilities arms race that has been happening in college football the last 20 years. Everybody builds these palaces to get ahead, but so does everybody else to keep up with the Joneses. In the end, they're all back on a level playing field again. The only people who really benefit are the architectural firms that specialize in stadiums and sports venues. But it is what it is. Nebraska is certainly not a big enough fish to ignore the competition and get away with it. Not with our infertile recruiting ground.

I think a big problem at Nebraska is that they went with a very low-budget, conservative design in the last round of upgrades. They tore down the old Field House, and in its place built something that looked like the old Field House. Rather than go crazy with an over-the-top locker room, they built one that wasn't even big enough to hold the whole team. Almost immediately they had to start putting walk-ons in the old locker room as overflow. The weight room was nice, but not everybody could be in it at the same time. Some of the meeting rooms and offices were too small almost from the start. Sometimes fiscally responsible only means cheap. They did it on the shoestring budget, and are now paying for it. Had they done it right the first time, it might only need minor refreshes for new technology and trends in the industry.

I agree, we have to keep up with the Joneses. I just don't like that universities spend so many millions on facilities and coaches salaries, yet the players who put their bodies on the line can't even profit off of their own likenesses. College athletics are no longer "amateur" sports.

Reactions: Clemke32
Finally. I sure Scott will have some input on the new facility.
List of Big 10 Schools that had football facility upgrades:
- Purdue - $65 million dollar project.
- Illinois recently completed a $79.2 million dollar project.
- Iowa - $55 million dollar project that included a 23,000 square
foot weight room.
- Minnesota recently completed a $166 million Athletes Village project.
- Maryland is currently is in the middle of a $155 million dollar project.
- Northwestern - the spaceship football facility by Lake Michigan in Evanston, IL - that whole project cost them $270 million dollars including the Welsh Ryan Arena.
Oregon had a $68 million project when Scott was coaching there so he'll have a lot of input on what he wants in the new NU facility when they build it.

foot weight room.
- Northwestern - the spaceship football facility by Lake Michigan in Evanston, IL - that whole project cost them $270 million dollars including the Welsh Ryan Arena.
Oregon had a $68 million project when Scott was coaching there so he'll have a lot of input on what he wants in the new NU facility when they build it.

I’m wondering who where some of the administration people that went and visited certain top facilities getting an idea what we want and need and what new innovation that we could add.

I agree, we have to keep up with the Joneses. I just don't like that universities spend so many millions on facilities and coaches salaries, yet the players who put their bodies on the line can't even profit off of their own likenesses. College athletics are no longer "amateur" sports.

They could just go to school and get a degree.

Reactions: scarletred
True, but that's how it is every where AND the players also are the chief beneficiaries of any new facility.

foot weight room.
Where did Northwestern get that kind of money?

Obviously you're either trying to provoke people (my assumption) or else you're uninformed because no tax dollars will be involved. Football is self-funding at Nebraska.

Pay no attention he is a Herky dip $£I¥..

Reactions: GILL T
I can’t wait to see some of the projected schematics and drawings. I hope they build a freaking palace with all of the bells and whistles
Exactly. My thought is if you are going to do this and put in 150 million it might as well be the top 5 in the country if not the best. If it isn't towards the very top then there is really no point in doing it because we will be towards the bottom again in 5-10 years. If we are the best we might be able to get 20 years out of it.

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT