ADVERTISEMENT

New Staffs and Recruting

nebcountry

Junior
Oct 29, 2013
It's always been my opinion that recruiting well is one of the major components required for winning big in college football. Call me impatient, but I really would like to see some new commitments. Mostly just to know that the staff can sell the program. Since we have landed no new commits, I figured I would see how other new staffs have fared. Viewing only new coaching staffs would put all of them on somewhat equal footing. I am disappointed with results to say the least.

New commits landed by new head coaches/staffs.

ZERO commits
0 - Buffalo
0 - Houston
0 - Nebraska
0 - Troy
0 - Tulsa

ONE or TWO commits
1 - Central Michigan
1 - Colorado State
1 - Kansas
2 - Oregon State
2 - SMU
2 - UNLV
2 - Wisconsin

THREE or more commits
8 - Florida
4 - Michigan
3 - Pittsburgh

Coaches know more than us.

Signing day is 9 1/2 months away.

Recruiting is too hard for Nebraska, patience is required.

Commitments are just that.

That pretty much sums up recruiting comments on HOL, 2008-2014.

With that said, middle to late June will tell us a lot more. BRW(s), Friday night camp(s), and off campus satellites will be done. Remember, junior day really didn't happen this year unless you count the dozens of Nebraska kids (99% walk on candidates). Plus, no staff holdovers, they're recruiting a different level of talent compared to previous stops and the 500 mile radius / border states are down in talent.

Mid to late June...
Posted from Rivals Mobile

We should really start calling them 'intents', because not a single guy is committed anywhere yet, at least in any kind of binding fashion.

The implication I get from the thread is that either the coaches aren't trying very hard or they're just not very good at recruiting. I'll go out on a ledge and predict a top 15 class when the ink is dry.

Originally posted by HuskerNinja:
We should really start calling them 'intents', because not a single guy is committed anywhere yet, at least in any kind of binding fashion.

The implication I get from the thread is that either the coaches aren't trying very hard or they're just not very good at recruiting. I'll go out on a ledge and predict a top 15 class when the ink is dry.
It is weird how much more seriously a verbal is taken in basketball than football.

I do also predict a sweet class coming in...top 20 for sure!

Early verbals are to team talent what dry humping is to sex. I couldn't care less. Stupid topic worthy only of the long off-season when there's nothing else to discuss.

Originally posted by HuskerTimOmaha:
Pelini groupie still mad.
you are literally the only one that has used that name in the thread...when is this going to stop ....the name calling and digs are just so unnecessary

Agree with most of the above posters. I don't recall any staff, other than perhaps BC's tenure, when we had so many top rated recruits on our radar, and in for visits, as Coach Riley has had. we are going to be fine--very fine.

Originally posted by HuskerTimOmaha:
Pelini groupie still mad.
We've had talent in Lincoln the past month or so that "that other guy" wouldn't have even gotten a return phone call from. It appears to me that the bar has been raised on the guys we are going after. As a rule, those guys wait longer to commit and I'm willing to wait to get some difference makers.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT