ADVERTISEMENT

New RB commit

Hmmm, part of me is puzzled.. position change in college?

film doesn’t say Burkhead 2.0

Welcome aboard

Does this mean Jackson will not have a committable offer now? I thought i read we were only taking 1 RB?

Welcome aboard

Does this mean Jackson will not have a committable offer now? I thought i read we were only taking 1 RB?
I agree with @headcard, I think they could still leave door cracked for Justin Williams, but Williams wants to wait til November to decide, so Nebraska couldn’t afford it.
Hayes called Williams after his visit to discuss things (knowing Neb was only looking at one RB) which I thought was interesting.
He also seems like a classy guy all around interested in community volunteer work at Nebraska.

Nebraska may have to keep class size super small this year.
Williams interviewed at 5-star challenge confirmed he loved W. Virg. and Nebraska visits but still will take three more.

Reactions: Larry51
Weirdly watching this kid's tape, it feels like when McCaffrey was playing RB or WR. He doesn't blow your mind with how elite he is at any one thing, he's just pretty damn solid running and catching. He's not like breaking ankles or just erasing defenders with speed or power...just kinda keeps on getting positive yards.

Definitely seems like more of a Duck-R type than a hammer with his receiving ability, but you start talking about a backfield with him and Yant together? Now you have my interest.

Kid just doesn't have "oh shit" film where every other play he does something filthy and you go "oh shit!" Like I'm not mad we got him but I'm not jumping out of my seat either.

But WTF do I know, I was hyped for Rahmir Johnson and that kid from Bellevue.

Weirdly watching this kid's tape, it feels like when McCaffrey was playing RB or WR. He doesn't blow your mind with how elite he is at any one thing, he's just pretty damn solid running and catching. He's not like breaking ankles or just erasing defenders with speed or power...just kinda keeps on getting positive yards.

Definitely seems like more of a Duck-R type than a hammer with his receiving ability, but you start talking about a backfield with him and Yant together? Now you have my interest.

Kid just doesn't have "oh shit" film where every other play he does something filthy and you go "oh shit!" Like I'm not mad we got him but I'm not jumping out of my seat either.

That's a pretty good breakdown. Just seems like a really solid football player.

His videos cover his Sophomore year in HS, 2019. His videos were made 1/20 and 4/20.

Reactions: HominidHusker
I think he's been recruited as the versatile Duck-R rather than a pure RB.

Can we PLEASE stop using the term DUCK-R?? Hell the coaches don't even use it anymore. How many yards and touchdowns has Duck-R got us?? How many games has it won for us??

I honestly don't remember even seeing it since Chip Kelly and Mark Helfrich ran it OREGON. It's 2021 now and it needs to be buried right along with "position less" players, hybrids, sideline passes and DESIGNED QB run plays on 3rd and 10!

Stop being cute and recruit players like Bama, OSU and Clemson do. RB's, DE's, WR's, LB's that play the exact position they were recruited to play and they kick ass by being better....NOT being cute. That's how you win, there is no reinventing the "football" wheel.....

Can we PLEASE stop using the term DUCK-R?? Hell the coaches don't even use it anymore. How many yards and touchdowns has Duck-R got us?? How many games has it won for us??

I honestly don't remember even seeing it since Chip Kelly and Mark Helfrich ran it OREGON. It's 2021 now and it needs to be buried right along with "position less" players, hybrids, sideline passes and DESIGNED QB run plays on 3rd and 10!

Stop being cute and recruit players like Bama, OSU and Clemson do. RB's, DE's, WR's, LB's that play the exact position they were recruited to play and they kick ass by being better....NOT being cute. That's how you win, there is no reinventing the "football" wheel.....
Husk-R?

Ok, that sensitive to a word are you? I see the word triggered outrage in you. My apologies for getting you so worked up early in the morning. :Cool:

We can certainly call it something else, but it is a position we use and recruit to. It’s the hybrid running back/WR. Do you really think no one has used it since Chip at Oregon? Otis Anderson, Wandale Robinson, Mo Washington.

Reactions: dinglefritz
Hayes -
His film reminds me of Rex Burkehead. He has the ability to be a Danny Woodhead type player for us.
Hayes listed on Rivals as 5-11/180 and is a 5.7 3*
Burkhead listed on Rivals (out of HS) as 5-10/190 and a 5.8 4*

It wouldn't be a stretch to call them a wingback. Frost needs to change the name in writing on a depth chart. Call it slot back or wing back or HuskRback. Whatever. I think we would still take the other kid if he wants to come.

I want Williams for RB, this kid will count towards WR then.
This is why I stated I didn’t understand this commitment.. his film is nothing but a kid talking the run outside and beating the HS defense to the edge. That isn’t going to work in college. Williams film is head and shoulders above this... This one bums me out.

Reactions: Husker_AMG63
This is why I stated I didn’t understand this commitment.. his film is nothing but a kid talking the run outside and beating the HS defense to the edge. That isn’t going to work in college. Williams film is head and shoulders above this... This one bums me out.
Sounds exactly like Mo Washington's film..... Frost's play design for that wingback is that. Get them in space and let them make explosive plays.

He's faster than Burkhead I think as well.
Burkhead was and is extremely quick from 0-10 yards. What he lacks is that top gear. There was a story at one time about Burkhead that while we was never going to win the 40 that he had the fastest 10 yard time of all of the team when he was at Nebraska. Jeff Quinn was like that in high school and college. Super quick feet. Wandale was that way too now that I think of it.

Sounds exactly like Mo Washington's film..... Frost's play design for that wingback is that. Get them in space and let them make explosive plays.
Lol, the only good film on Mo was when he ran outside as a receiver. Sure I like the speed, but don’t see as high a ceiling by a long margin just to take a guy cause we’re impatient… hope it works out, but hard not to second guess the coaching staff on this.

Reactions: EastOregonHusker
Lol, the only good film on Mo was when he ran outside as a receiver. Sure I like the speed, but don’t see as high a ceiling by a long margin just to take a guy cause we’re impatient… hope it works out, but hard not to second guess the coaching staff on this.
We need guys who can take it to the house when they get the ball in space. This kid can do that. We've got 3 thumpers now and Yant has 4 years of eligibility left. Who is our pure speed wing/slot back on the roster right now?

I agree with @headcard, I think they could still leave door cracked for Justin Williams, but Williams wants to wait til November to decide, so Nebraska couldn’t afford it.
Hayes called Williams after his visit to discuss things (knowing Neb was only looking at one RB) which I thought was interesting.
He also seems like a classy guy all around interested in community volunteer work at Nebraska.

Nebraska may have to keep class size super small this year.
Williams interviewed at 5-star challenge confirmed he loved W. Virg. and Nebraska visits but still will take three more.
I wonder if the taking of Hayes (which I like) may tip Williams in favor of WVU.

We need guys who can take it to the house when they get the ball in space. This kid can do that. We've got 3 thumpers now and Yant has 4 years of eligibility left. Who is our pure speed wing/slot back on the roster right now?
I can’t think of a single Frost speed guy on offense that has ever really worked out.. I know it’s an important metric, but always thought coach puts too much emphasis on it.

I can’t think of a single Frost speed guy on offense that has ever really worked out.. I know it’s an important metric, but always thought coach puts too much emphasis on it.
Well Wandale was a "duckR/wingback" when he was recruited. I would say he was pretty damned good even though he lacked the top end speed. Every guy is a little bit different in his skill set. I don't blame Frost for Wandale leaving. Tom recruited a bunch of "speed" guys too and very few of them ever reached a high level of play. It's always a numbers game and the percentage of high school guys who pan out isn't very high. IMO, we know WAY more about the guys on the roster now than we did 30 years ago due to the internet and social media. The guys who made it were the exception rather than the rule.

Burkhead was and is extremely quick from 0-10 yards. What he lacks is that top gear. There was a story at one time about Burkhead that while we was never going to win the 40 that he had the fastest 10 yard time of all of the team when he was at Nebraska. Jeff Quinn was like that in high school and college. Super quick feet. Wandale was that way too now that I think of it.

When Burkhead did the NFL combine I believe he had one of the TOP 3 20 yard shuttle or 3 cone times that year. Quick as hell for 10-20 yards then it's like he would run into a head wind. Kind of like Ameer except he could keep his speed for like 40 yards...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT