ADVERTISEMENT

New #Nebrasketball Assistant?

Would be a home run hire and might even be an upgrade since he would have some recruiting ties in the BIG TEN foot print from his days at DePaul and coaching in the Chicago area. I like the looks of this hire a lot more than last season's assistant hire. Plus he's a former PG that played at the D1 level and then add in the fact that Donovan hired the guy. I'd definitely be more than ok with this.

Would be a home run hire and might even be an upgrade since he would have some recruiting ties in the BIG TEN foot print from his days at DePaul and coaching in the Chicago area. I like the looks of this hire a lot more than last season's assistant hire. Plus he's a former PG that played at the D1 level and then add in the fact that Donovan hired the guy. I'd definitely be more than ok with this.

This would be the best all around hire to date for coach Miles. Obviously the synergy between Miles and Smith will be tough to find in a short time but everything about this potential hire is A+!! Not only does Burno have 3 years experience working under Donovan, he also spent time with Masiello at Manhattan. Massiello just didn't coach under Pitino, he also played under him, and Tubby Smith while at Kentucky.

Besides playing for coach Hurley in high school, he was also a 3-year captain at DePaul, plus he coached high school in Chicago for 3 or 4 years. Yep, not only has a recognized name in the area but immediate cred that should elevate our foot in the Chicago door..

Here is another "Big" reason I hope we get Burno

"Donovan played a big role in Dickerson’s commitment but so did Florida assistant coach Rashon Burno, who was hot on the big man’s trail throughout the summer. The Gators like his ability to score in the low post and rebound on both ends of the court.

“Coach Burno was my recruiter, and I talked to him all the time. He was always calling to check on me. The entire staff really helped recruit me; I talked to all the assistant coaches. They all made me feel like I was at home, and I became more confident in my decision,” he said."

http://www.onlygators.com/08/17/2014/pf-noah-dickerson-commits-to-florida-gators-billy-donovan/

Either way we need a dominating recruiter! We landed a few good guys, but we need to keep it rolling. We need help to land a couple bigs!!!!!!

Either way we need a dominating recruiter!

Kenya Hunter has landed 4 top 75 guys in less than 12 months plus has used his previous connections to get us in the door with some already proven transfers. What's needed is, besides a scouting breakdown / offensive minded assistant coach is someone to match what coach Hunter has done on the recruiting trail plus really relate to the youth of today.

We're hitting Chicago hard with recruiting, by adding coach Burno this may allow coach Hunter to spend spend a little more time back east to where some of his roots are. It has to be done sooner rather than later now that we have highly regarded guys in White (from Virginia) and Gill (from North Carolina).

This potential hire is outstanding, need to get it done and make official.

Outside of some cataclysmic series of events, I'm hearing that this is basically a done deal. I'll wait 'till the ink is dry though. Hey, we are still Nebraska basketball and unluckier things have happened to us the past 100 years.

This is why I think Tim Miles will ultimately get it done. Both of our two previous head coaches had some positive momentum early on, hit the proverbial wall, and folded like a $4 Walmart lawn chair. Miles has hit said wall and appears to be able to break through. The way our team was set-up, next year was supposed to be the big year. The year where we finally won an NCAA Tournament game, quite possibly games. This year, our program's momentum grinded to a halt. We tanked....big time. We had team turmoil, lost Petteway, Pitchford, and Harriman. Collier and Doc folded, Miles hasn't. Instead, Miles secures an excellent recruiting class, a top-notch transfer, and is about to land a very sought after assistant coach.

While next year might not be 'the year', our future still looks bright. While we still have to ultimately prove it on wood, on paper it looks like we have weathered the storm. Miles and his staff didn't let the wall that stopped a lot of their momentum be an ending factor. I'm very bullish and buying stock.

Let me also add that I LOVE the fact that Nebraska basketball is gaining more fans. That said, if you're a big football fan looking to casually follow our basketball program, let's tone down the critiques and rhetoric down a half of notch, eh? Building a consistent winner here is extremely difficult and it's not possible to do it in the course of a few short years. It's like what Red says about geology, it takes pressure and time. Our school just started taking basketball seriously a couple of minutes ago. When it's time to panic, the diehard Nebraska basketball fans will let you know. We've seen failure enough to know. Until then, enjoy the ride and try not to talk about motion offenses.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT