ADVERTISEMENT

New Name Emerging???

A question I have for those more savvy and knowledgeable than me. What defense is parella used to running and used to and if it is the 3 man front, maybe his influence and wants were a factor here.

I guess I'm not sold on this guy. Shouldn't we be able to do better for that much?

Define better.

In the last 5 years, the handful of "big name DC's" include probably Don Brown, Venables, Kirby Smart, Aranda and Diaco.

Anybody who is clearly better than Diaco makes at least what we are offering Diaco, and if we felt they were clearly better than Diaco, we'd probably have to double what we offer Diaco to pull them from where they are currently sitting.

Offering Aranda 150% of what we're shelling out for Diaco, isn't a pay increase for Aranda.

Reactions: WHCSC
A question I have for those more savvy and knowledgeable than me. What defense is parella used to running and used to and if it is the 3 man front, maybe his influence and wants were a factor here.

My guess is he's used to the more traditional 4-3, but it doesn't really matter; his job is to build and train elite D linemen. Reading bout the 3-4 scheme, it sounds like the NT is just a super-charged DT who takes on a double-team, and the DE's are much more like traditional DT's, just maybe a little quicker and able to react to slightly different schemes in ways a DT wouldn't necessarily do. If your NT needs to be 300+ pounds easily, and your DE's now need to be around 300 pounds themselves, you're dealing with biiiiiig tough linemen no matter what.

Also, Parella has been playing football for like 25+ years at an elite level. My guess is he knows what to do.

I'd be MUCH more interested in how Trent Bray reacts; in this 3-4 "No Crease" scheme, you have to play 4 linebackers, 1-2 of whom are basically like traditional DE's. That is where the real challenge will be.

Define better.

In the last 5 years, the handful of "big name DC's" include probably Don Brown, Venables, Kirby Smart, Aranda and Diaco.

Anybody who is clearly better than Diaco makes at least what we are offering Diaco, and if we felt they were clearly better than Diaco, we'd probably have to double what we offer Diaco to pull them from where they are currently sitting.

Offering Aranda 150% of what we're shelling out for Diaco, isn't a pay increase for Aranda.

Offer whatever it takes. :Cool:

My guess is he's used to the more traditional 4-3, but it doesn't really matter; his job is to build and train elite D linemen. Reading bout the 3-4 scheme, it sounds like the NT is just a super-charged DT who takes on a double-team, and the DE's are much more like traditional DT's, just maybe a little quicker and able to react to slightly different schemes in ways a DT wouldn't necessarily do. If your NT needs to be 300+ pounds easily, and your DE's now need to be around 300 pounds themselves, you're dealing with biiiiiig tough linemen no matter what.

Also, Parella has been playing football for like 25+ years at an elite level. My guess is he knows what to do.

I'd be MUCH more interested in how Trent Bray reacts; in this 3-4 "No Crease" scheme, you have to play 4 linebackers, 1-2 of whom are basically like traditional DE's. That is where the real challenge will be.

Bray I think should be fine. Since we lack impact DE's, we're counting on some of his tweener backers to provide a pass rush anyway.

From that article (just as many have pointed out):

The 3-4 defense all starts and ends with the nose guard............... he nose guard must be a two gap "war daddy" that can occupy multiple gaps and blockers in the middle of the defensive front....... He is responsible for clogging both A gaps and taking on a double team from either offensive guard. The nose guard must be large, and physically imposing. It is also imperative that he is smart and extremely quick. As a two gap player the nose guard must not only immediately defeat the center, he also needs to control those A gaps and often has to also take on one of the offensive guards lined up next to him to do it.

We are gonna need to get us a couple of them.

Maybe the teams we play will have an Utter-like player at center. If that is the case, we could move Conor Young (lightest guy on the team) from WR to DT Laughing

Bray I think should be fine. Since we lack impact DE's, we're counting on some of his tweener backers to provide a pass rush anyway.

Yeah. On top of that, we have Avery Roberts coming in (a truly elite LB who will probably wind up running the D in a year or two), and I would think guys like Colin Miller and new recruit Guy Thomas, who are slightly bigger LB's and projected towards DE, would wind up being those hybrid LB's who work on the outside but can come up and be down linemen when necessary.

Yeah. On top of that, we have Avery Roberts coming in (a truly elite LB who will probably wind up running the D in a year or two), and I would think guys like Colin Miller and new recruit Guy Thomas, who are slightly bigger LB's and projected towards DE, would wind up being those hybrid LB's who work on the outside but can come up and be down linemen when necessary.

Quayshon Alexander. I can't remember the size on Pernell Jefferson either.

Quayshon Alexander. I can't remember the size on Pernell Jefferson either.

Yup! Him too. Basically, any LB that is at or pushing 230 pounds and is quick as hell would be our outside LB's. My guess is the Davis twins, DaiShon Neal, and Freedom will wind up being the DE's depending on the down.

Define better.

Throw 1.5 and an assoc HC title at Clancy Pendergast from USC

Yup! Him too. Basically, any LB that is at or pushing 230 pounds and is quick as hell would be our outside LB's. My guess is the Davis twins, DaiShon Neal, and Freedom will wind up being the DE's depending on the down.

What about beefing up Neal? He is already enormous. I wonder if he is too tall to play NT? .... Just typing out loud.

The average SEC D-Coordinator makes over $1 million. If we want to be relevant again we can't be afraid to spend like the big boys.

I started a thread what Nebraska has become, some people took it the wrong way when I talked about being the big boys and spending money.... but situations like this show how important it is to spend big money and shoot for a big name. It's a program changer and we haven't made the most of opportunities in the past!

Agreed but disagree. I totally agree it will take a stud NT. That is my huge concern because IMO we barely have good DT let alone studs that can play NT effectively. I played MLB in a 3 man front with a total stud NT. Let me tell you, it made lb job a lot easier. It cut YOUR immediate responsibility down and freed you up to pursue, react, and play looser and a little less disciplined because you could react faster
As a lb I would love it but you will have more ol trying to get upfield on you.

Reactions: jflores
Throw 1.5 and an assoc HC title at Clancy Pendergast from USC

So Pendergast is a guy I've been aware of, but digging into his stats, it wouldn't seem he's necessarily the type of guy you throw crazy money at to get at all costs.

He was in the bottom half of the NFL basically his entire stint as DC and not a terribly great track record in college either.

http://coachingsearch.com/article?a=A-closer-look-at-new-USC-defensive-coordinator-Clancy-Pendergast

His 2016 defense finished worse than ours did and USC is inarguably I think the more talented team.

Edit: It also appears he has held the DC and Associate HC title before at least at Cal. So we wouldn't be offering him anything new for his resume. To be clear, I think he's a good coach, lots of good buzz around him, I'm just not sure he's a "better part of $2 million" coach.

Last edited:

Diaco also coached LB's in addition to being DC at ND, so I could see him taking OLB and leaving Bray with ILB. Bama uses a similar setup.

So Pendergast is a guy I've been aware of, but digging into his stats, it wouldn't seem he's necessarily the type of guy you throw crazy money at to get at all costs.

He was in the bottom half of the NFL basically his entire stint as DC and not a terribly great track record in college either.

http://coachingsearch.com/article?a=A-closer-look-at-new-USC-defensive-coordinator-Clancy-Pendergast

His 2016 defense finished worse than ours did and USC is inarguably I think the more talented team.

Edit: It also appears he has held the DC and Associate HC title before at least at Cal. So we wouldn't be offering him anything new for his resume. To be clear, I think he's a good coach, lots of good buzz around him, I'm just not sure he's a "better part of $2 million" coach.

I didn't dig as deep as you. I remember his name coming up before.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT