ADVERTISEMENT

New Name Emerging???

Former UCONN head coach Bob Diaco has emerged as a leading candidate for the DC job. What do you guys think? What he make a difference on our defense and recruiting and will Nebraska pay the money to get him or other good candidates out there?

Posted on another board:

"I heard Sean Callahan on KFAB this morning say that Diaco was in Lincoln yesterday, which is a good sign. Apparently Arkansas might be in play, but Diaco would have to be a "co-coordinator" there, so probably not as attractive. Callahan also said Wisconsin is now looking for a DC, so might be a player in the mix. Callahan thinks there's a "75-80%" chance he'll come to NU."

Credit to MyBraska for sharing.

Posted on another board:

"I heard Sean Callahan on KFAB this morning say that Diaco was in Lincoln yesterday, which is a good sign. Apparently Arkansas might be in play, but Diaco would have to be a "co-coordinator" there, so probably not as attractive. Callahan also said Wisconsin is now looking for a DC, so might be a player in the mix. Callahan thinks there's a "75-80%" chance he'll come to NU."

Heard it too. Callahan seems pretty confident.

Posted on another board:

Apparently we are going to pay up to get someone like Diaco......can't imagine Wiscy will be doing the same.

Apparently we are going to pay up to get someone like Diaco......can't imagine Wiscy will be doing the same.

Their DC that just left was making $725k per year......

I would also imagine we are going to pay some money since we are paying our position coaches on the high end.

Their DC that just left was making $725k per year......

I would also imagine we are going to pay some money since we are paying our position coaches on the high end.

I don't know why the theme of money continues to be an issue. We pay folks what they are worth, DW doubled his salary coming here. I think KW is the highest paid WR coach in the country.

We paid Tim Beck 700K some number of years ago. No reason we won't pay Diaco if he's interested.

Well, Diaco's press conferences would sure be entertaining. He's a strange dude:

Diaco has talked about Batman as a motivational figure, about "fish cake" as a recipe (food or football) gone wrong. In the past two weeks, he has referred to "a spaghetti bowl of frustration" and a "Molotov cocktail of ugliness." He possesses a vast vocabulary and uses it, yet often starts or ends discussions with succinct declarations such as "ridiculous" or "pathetic."

Well, Diaco's press conferences would sure be entertaining. He's a strange dude:

Diaco has talked about Batman as a motivational figure, about "fish cake" as a recipe (food or football) gone wrong. In the past two weeks, he has referred to "a spaghetti bowl of frustration" and a "Molotov cocktail of ugliness." He possesses a vast vocabulary and uses it, yet often starts or ends discussions with succinct declarations such as "ridiculous" or "pathetic."

I'd love to see him running up and down the sideline yelling "Batmaaaaan!" Sheldon Cooper style at the defense.

Reactions: REGPrimus
The more I read about Bob Diaco, the more I like the idea of hiring him. We still have 1 more coaching spot open, so I say we hire a hot-shot recruiter to fill it. If we land that, we're back in business in terms of building a major program with tons of talent.

Jim Rose commentary just now sure implies it is a done deal and the UConn guy is N. Either that or he's going to have huge egg on his face.

Is there any indication that Diaco is *still* in town? You think if he was here yesterday to interview, if he really was "the guy" he'd be around to greet recruits as they come off the plane today.

Is there any indication that Diaco is *still* in town? You think if he was here yesterday to interview, if he really was "the guy" he'd be around to greet recruits as they come off the plane today.

That's a REALLY good question...

Also, would there be any recruits from UConn or any place like that that Mr. Diaco would be bringing with him?

Very good point.

I doubt it. Their current class is extremely poor (it is UCONN).

Interesting. Does anyone have any idea as to what kind of recruits this guy would steer us towards landing? His all-time recruiting list was pretty impressive for a guy who is a relatively young coach.

Related: Does this mean we absolutely will shift towards a 3-4 defensive scheme?

Interesting. Does anyone have any idea as to what kind of recruits this guy would steer us towards landing? His all-time recruiting list was pretty impressive for a guy who is a relatively young coach.

Related: Does this mean we absolutely will shift towards a 3-4 defensive scheme?

Riley is reported to be looking for a coach that is expert in it.

Diaco I think has pretty much run this exclusively and put his own mark on it. I'd be surprised if we didn't.

Reactions: HuskerLLM
So, in reading about the 3-4 as compared to the more common 4-3, why do we want to switch to it? And, in doing so, don't we need a Damion Daniels/Tyler Shelvin type big fat hog to be our NT? Would that mean the Davis brothers and later Thomas and Watts would switch to being DE's, while Guy Thomas would be one of the larger LB's in the scheme?

So, in reading about the 3-4 as compared to the more common 4-3, why do we want to switch to it? And, in doing so, don't we need a Damion Daniels/Tyler Shelvin type big fat hog to be our NT? Would that mean the Davis brothers and later Thomas and Watts would switch to being DE's, while Guy Thomas would be one of the larger LB's in the scheme?

We have abundant LB's and DT's compared to true 4-3 rush ends. We maybe don't have the ideal nose, but we do have Stolt would probably work as would some of the guys coming in. Wisconsin doesn't have huge NTs.

There's no defense for which we are ideally suited, we'll have a deficiency somewhere in the near term. It could be argued 3-4 is the best fit.

Part of the theory is that we have had an easier time recruiting LBs than DTs.

Makes sense. In theory, what are the advantages of the 3-4 when run effectively versus the 4-3?

Makes sense. In theory, what are the advantages of the 3-4 when run effectively versus the 4-3?

Flexibility. Those OLB's have to be able to rush, stop the run, and cover though. They basically act as DE, LB, and pseudo DB's with only a couple steps difference in positioning.

Now THOSE are some uniforms.

Diaco #45

EP-312119959.jpg

Awesome. It's been about 2 years since we have had full blown crazy patrolling the sideline at DONU.

This might give that odd Mantai Teo situation a bit more clarity.

Reactions: jimbosc
You really need to read this about Diaco's D specifically

"No Crease" Defense.

From that article (just as many have pointed out):

The 3-4 defense all starts and ends with the nose guard............... he nose guard must be a two gap "war daddy" that can occupy multiple gaps and blockers in the middle of the defensive front....... He is responsible for clogging both A gaps and taking on a double team from either offensive guard. The nose guard must be large, and physically imposing. It is also imperative that he is smart and extremely quick. As a two gap player the nose guard must not only immediately defeat the center, he also needs to control those A gaps and often has to also take on one of the offensive guards lined up next to him to do it.

We are gonna need to get us a couple of them.

ADVERTISEMENT