ADVERTISEMENT

New MBB Asst Coach, Doc takes over Lutz's role.

Easing Doc into retirement in 2 years, IMO. Whatever makes Husker Hoops better is good by me.
GBR!

Reactions: CBurns05
Sounds like he was “passed over/not invited to apply/non-renewed” since he wanted a full:time coaching job and Fred went outside to fill that job.

No. He wasn't passed over or not invited to remain here. He wants a full time coaching position and when Lutz was hired the NCAA was supposed to be allowing one more assistant coach to be active in recruiting and practice. The NCAA has spent 2 1/2 years dragging it's feet in passing that change and Lutz wanted to be able to go recruit and be more involved in gameday coaching.

On the other side now that we made this new hire, Doc can now do almost everything he currently was doing except now he doesn't have to go on the road to recruit or travel to away games.

Last edited:
No. He wasn't passed over or not invited to remain here. He wants a full time coaching position and when Lutz was hired the NCAA was supposed to be allowing one more assistant coach to be active in recruiting and practice. The NCAA has spent 2 1/2 years dragging it's feet in passing that change and Lutz wanted to be able to go recruit and be more involved in gameday coaching.

On the other side now that we made this new hire, Doc can now do almost everything he currently was doing except now he doesn't have to go on the road to recruit or travel to away games.

Doc can still travel to away games....but he won't be able to be on the court for practice now, so he won't be able to coach the defensive drills in practice anymore. He can still analyze film and give his input during games.

Doc can still travel to away games....but he won't be able to be on the court for practice now, so he won't be able to coach the defensive drills in practice anymore. He can still analyze film and give his input during games.

He can still travel to away games but he won't be in a position where it's more of a requirement/need. He didn't travel with the team after the Covid stoppage, and I think they realized it wasn't as necessary for him to that to do what they need him to do for the team. Furthering this change. Now he no longer has to travel to road games if he doesn't want to and no longer has to go on recruiting visits at all.

Reactions: dinglefritz
He can still travel to away games but he won't be in a position where it's more of a requirement/need. He didn't travel with the team after the Covid stoppage, and I think they realized it wasn't as necessary for him to that to do what they need him to do for the team. Furthering this change. Now he no longer has to travel to road games if he doesn't want to and no longer has to go on recruiting visits at all.

Can he still leave his shirt untucked? Laughing

Well they hired Loenser for Doc’s full-time coaching job less than a month after Lutz left to find one. So I guess technically he wasn’t passed over since he left three weeks ago. Lutz has a ton more college coaching experience than Loenser and he doesn’t have a new job yet, so I can we can just disagree about what appears to have happened. Only two guys know for certain and they don’t post here.

Honestly, who checks on this stuff?

In HS all the rules are broken about practice times and meeting and coaching staff shit...in college who checks to see if Doc is "coaching on the court" at practice?

Well the DN got Moe Iba
Busted at Mable Lee Hall!

5eee5ac40d1bf.image.jpg

Reactions: WC_'sker
Sounds like Doc is heading back to UTEP. Can't blame him, as he was essentially demoted here, and he wants to coach. But I don't understand why UTEP would hire him over some of the other candidates they are interviewing.

Didn't he leave a head coaching job to come here? I assumed he was gonna hang around here for a couple years and then retire.

Yes, but he came here to be an assistant coach where he could still coach on the court. But now he got demoted to a non-coaching role, and the demotion probably involves a pay cut. It would probably be hard for him to stay after that, especially considering he left a head-coaching job to come here. It's too bad, I was really hoping Doc would get to be part of the staff to get our first NCAA tourney win. But Hoiberg must really like Loenser.

ADVERTISEMENT