ADVERTISEMENT

New DB

Kyan Brunfield from Tx Tech previous Colgate. Grad Transfer RS junior.
"
The Huskers have also added Kyan Brumfield to the program as a walk-on defensive back, an NU official confirmed.

The 6-foot, 185-pound Brumfield was previously at Texas Tech, where he appeared in six games last year, mostly on special teams. Prior to that he was at Colgate, where he played in 17 games and earned his undergraduate degree in just three years, allowing him to join the Red Raiders last year as a grad transfer.

As a sophomore in 2019, he played in 11 games and started one contest. He finished that year with 12 tackles and a pair of pass breakups. In 2018, he played in six of the final seven games as redshirt freshman after beginning his college career using a redshirt in 2017.

Originally from San Antonio, Texas, Brumfield is now a redshirt junior."

I gotta ask, what is the point of this? Big roster for the sake of big roster? It seems most of these guys are unlikely to contribute in any meaningful way.

Reactions: John_J_Rambo
I gotta ask, what is the point of this? Big roster for the sake of big roster? It seems most of these guys are unlikely to contribute in any meaningful way.
When some of these players are hungry enough they create competition... then that makes the transfer portal busy. I will take a hungry walk-on with a chip on his shoulder over a 4* expecting playing time. Keep turning over the roster till you have players who want to compete.

I have questioned this as well and get no solid response. Talk about a resource eater. Seems to me there comes a point of diminishing return.
I guess it only makes sense if the return on getting a few studs that end up starting outweighs the attention opportunity cost the coaches have to devout to all these players on the roster. Talk about inability to focus on details and the players that will actually start could be a problem for the coaches if they have to eat up valuable practice time with everyone.

When some of these players are hungry enough they create competition... then that makes the transfer portal busy. I will take a hungry walk-on with a chip on his shoulder over a 4* expecting playing time. Keep turning over the roster till you have players who want to compete.
160 players though? Without counting punter, PK, LS and holder, that is roughly 7.2 people per position. It’s overkill.

Go back and look at how many walk in’s are brought in each year and then look at how many are still on the team for more than 2 years.

There is a limited number of walk ons that will create the competition that you think they do.

If a grad transfer walk on is coming to your school thinking they can get on the field then you’re recruiting is lacking. Jmho.

You then have enough players that all QB's are throwing to receivers instead of watching, you have players going through reps because there is enough players to face off on each other. Frost said when he was hired that this was the number he wanted... He is doing what he said. I do not see any down side to this, but then again I am eternal optimist... Biden is good for the country because he shows what a buffoons the Dems are. But then again, look at how many buffoons voted for him...
The downside is that you still only have 10 coaches and you still only get 20 hours per week to coach the players. So either, the GAs are coaching the walk ons or the number of reps that the top 3 units get are going to be reduced.

20 hours and 100 players allows for more time with each player than 20 hours with 160 players. OR Greg Austin coaching your OL vs random offensive GA coaching your OL. Either way, someone is not getting full benefit.

The downside is that you still only have 10 coaches and you still only get 20 hours per week to coach the players. So either, the GAs are coaching the walk ons or the number of reps that the top 3 units get are going to be reduced.

20 hours and 100 players allows for more time with each player than 20 hours with 160 players. OR Greg Austin coaching your OL vs random offensive GA coaching your OL. Either way, someone is not getting full benefit.
As long as the fundamentals are being taught to the players down the pecking, all is well with me. This gives the GA's and others an opportunity to improve themselves. You can build leadership with the upper players to push the lower players and so on. This allows the weaker links to make progress and strengthen up. You learn more by teaching than you do as the student in most situations.

PS, thanks for the civil discussion.

You then have enough players that all QB's are throwing to receivers instead of watching, you have players going through reps because there is enough players to face off on each other. Frost said when he was hired that this was the number he wanted... He is doing what he said. I do not see any down side to this, but then again I am eternal optimist... Biden is good for the country because he shows what a buffoons the Dems are. But then again, look at how many buffoons voted for him...
Frost is not doing what he said. He said the BIG would have to adjust. Coach the first four units well and stop spreading the staff so thin.

There is no point. A bunch of ridiculous crap when you consider the coaching staff can't develop the scholarship players they have on the roster. So hey, why not, let's add 75 more guys to convolute the matter.

As long as the fundamentals are being taught to the players down the pecking, all is well with me. This gives the GA's and others an opportunity to improve themselves. You can build leadership with the upper players to push the lower players and so on. This allows the weaker links to make progress and strengthen up. You learn more by teaching than you do as the student in most situations.

PS, thanks for the civil discussion.
I have a friend whose grandson is a walking. Grandson says the walkons aren't getting the reps or coaching they need.

I have a friend whose grandson is a walking. Grandson says the walkons aren't getting the reps or coaching they need.
This is the response to every kid that walks on and it doesn't matter who the coach is. Unless you are getting a real chance to play, you feel like you are getting shit on because you were probably king dick at your high school and now are nothing in college. I knew quite a few guys like that when I was in school there. SSDD. Winning cures all.

I'm happy to have the walk-ons, no problem with that at all. In this case, the player seems most likely destined for some special teams play rather than a spot in the defensive backfield given the other guys already in place. Lots of POTENTIAL talent at DB, we'll see who rises to the top.

Reactions: OzzyLvr
Yep, give me a player like Levi Falck over the prima donna washouts. Walked-on, played in every game, earned 4 starts. He is the leading returning WR in 2021. A player like Manning came in on scholarship with all the accolades and publicity then ended with zero catches.

I talked to a guy who was a walk on a few years back. Kid was pretty decent and actually got on the field occasionally. His opinion was that the Walk-ons served as fresh meat for the practice squad. Let the first and second units just beat the hell out of them and then next man up. His dad tried to get him to transfer but he wouldn't. I think having former Nebraska football player on your resume carries a lot of weight in this state.

I talked to a guy who was a walk on a few years back. Kid was pretty decent and actually got on the field occasionally. His opinion was that the Walk-ons served as fresh meat for the practice squad. Let the first and second units just beat the hell out of them and then next man up. His dad tried to get him to transfer but he wouldn't. I think having former Nebraska football player on your resume carries a lot of weight in this state.
I know things have changed, but when I was growing up it's all I wanted to do. Didn't care if I was on the meat squad, I was a Husker and that would have been awesome. Especially when you are from small town NE. Obviously things have changed.

Reactions: OzzyLvr
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT