ADVERTISEMENT

New D-Line Coach

Oldie but goodie

Redshirt Freshman
May 15, 2018
I am really surprised there has been so little discussion/rumor/news about this. From what I heard he gave notice 2 weeks ago, we have spring ball starting in a week and a half. I think it's important to get someone in place in time for them to understand Chin's system, meet the players and then start coaching. I also realize this is a huge hire for SF. We have to get this right. Coach is fairly new at this so he is probably being very careful. Let's hope a great guy is in place before Monday.

Aren't they waiting for that big coaches clinic thing?

I am really surprised there has been so little discussion/rumor/news about this. From what I heard he gave notice 2 weeks ago, we have spring ball starting in a week and a half. I think it's important to get someone in place in time for them to understand Chin's system, meet the players and then start coaching. I also realize this is a huge hire for SF. We have to get this right. Coach is fairly new at this so he is probably being very careful. Let's hope a great guy is in place before Monday.
I have been wondering the same thing. However I would rather have him take a bit longer to get the right guy vs hurrying to get a man in place and it being the wrong fit and we do it all over again a couple years.

I heard they are quietly bringing candidates in this week probably starting today. But they don't want the names getting out because it could damage the status of the coaches who do not get the job.

They are also having to deal with rules on time requirements related to advertising the position.

Patience. He'll be in place for Spring practices.

Likely have had several good candidates to choose from so they're going to do a thorough job. Chemistry with the existing staff will be a key requirement.

Vetting a DL coach for cultural fit... I’d like to be a fly on the wall. After meeting with all the staff etc. I feel like the final step would somehow involve going to Mario Verduzco’s place.

Coaching prowess is obvious, but I’m really hoping we can land someone who’s established a good reputation for recruiting.

Reactions: Bold Words
fwiw, AL bio said coach Kool was a senior at Toledo when Saban came '90, K coached there '92-95... & after 1 year not on Bama staff? where he came after two seasons at the University of Miami where he coached the defensive line and served as the assistant head coach. He revitalized the Hurricanes defensive front and helped Miami return to national prominence in 2017 with a trip to the ACC Championship Game and the Capital One Orange Bowl.
The Hurricanes ranked among the nation's leaders in several defensive categories in 2017, including top in the nation in team sacks (3.38), third nationally in tackles for loss (8.5) and turnovers gained (31), eighth nationally in fumbles recovered (14) and ninth in the nation in opponent yards per play (4.77).
Three of his defensive linemen earned All-ACC recognition in 2017 with RJ McIntosh named to the second team, Trent Harris the third team and Kendrick Norton garnering honorable mention honors.
In his first year with the program in 2016, Miami's defensive line enjoyed vast improvements under his guidance and served as one of the top units both in the ACC and nationally. After the season, Kuligowski was promoted to assistant head coach after spending the 2016 season as defensive line coach.
In 2016, Miami ranked No. 20 nationally in total defense (up from No. 69 the previous season), No. 9 in yards per play (No. 86 in 2015), No. 12 in scoring defense (No. 77 in 2015), No. 5 in tackles for loss (No. 105 in 2015), No. 22 in team sacks (No. 70 in 2015) and tied for eighth in defensive touchdowns allowed (No. 61 in 2015).

Prior to his time in Miami, Kuligowski spent 15 years at the University of Missouri coaching the defensive line for head coach Gary Pinkel where he was the second-longest tenured assistant coach in the league. During his time in Columbia, Coach “Kool” produced 24 all-conference players along the defensive front, four first round NFL Draft picks from 2009 to his departure and 12 NFL Draft picks since 2002.
Kuligowski's final year in Columbia saw the Tigers' defensive line rank second in the nation in team tackles for loss. The Tigers also ranked ninth in the nation in total defense. The 2014 Mizzou defense led the SEC in sacks (a school-record 44), and was the stingiest defense in the league, allowing a conference-low 300.8 yards per game in conference matchups. Star pupil Shane Ray was named the SEC Defensive Player of the Year and was selected in the first round of the NFL Draft the following April by the Denver Broncos.

Anyone know who has been in for interviews? Saw an article on twitter but I don’t have premium board access? Just curious....

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT