ADVERTISEMENT

New Commit

2-star on Rivals, 3-star on TOS. Offers from Kansas, Minnesota, Nebraska. Hope he can help our OLB group, we need it.

Has he visited yet?

Last edited:
giphy.gif

I will trust the coaches here. But my fear is we are now taking marginal guys because we crapped out on our first choices. I don’t like JUCO recruits. They are rarely that good. Will Honas was supposedly going to be a difference maker. He isn’t.
You forgot Gregg bell the number one juco running back, Woodward and mike Willams. The track record hasn’t been great lately

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
You forgot Gregg bell the number one juco running back, Woodward and mike Willams. The track record hasn’t been great lately

JUCO"s panning out or not panning out is no different than high school kids. These are 3 for 4 guys they are bringing in. Thus, basically the same class as the redshirting guys.

We recruited 2 JUCO RB's. One didn't pan out and the other is coming on strong.

We recruited 2 JUCO WR's and neither have done anything. That doesn't mean the next JUCO WR wouldn't.

We need bodies that can make an impact next season on D. High school kids would be good to have, but we also need some immediacy.

I hope we take at least one more OLB from high school.

No good JUCO’s here. Randy Gregory, DeJaun Gomes, Lavonte David, Larry Asante, Damion Stanford. Even Demorrio Williams and Terrell Farley.
How many of those guys were recruited by our current staff? None. Name one Juco guy who has been worth a damn recruited by Frost? Bearing in mind that I love coach Frost.

Yep. You are right. And Mills is coming on lately. So hopefully I am full of shit on this one.
You have to remember that Frost's Jucos last year were last minute attempts to fill some glaring needs. I'm not worried about Frost taking some Jucos now. They fill some immediate needs and usually they're physically more advanced than most high school seniors. These 2 guys being 4 to play 3 guys is nice.

JUCO"s panning out or not panning out is no different than high school kids. These are 3 for 4 guys they are bringing in. Thus, basically the same class as the redshirting guys.

Disagree, there is a slightly higher difference with JUCOs.

2 Jucos: 1 pans out, one doesn't

Is one's prep success rate less than or at 50%?

With the 3 year rule, then NFL, there is a better rate with high school preps.

Bottom line with any recruit, can they help us and are they a football player at this level?

FWIW

Look at QB. The Council Bluffs kid went to TCU. But, the other one in Lincoln, is good too!

Depth, culture, fit, discipline ....

Good players don't always bring the intangibles necessary to succeed in either Lincoln or Iowa City.

It sounds like both fan bases are excited this week about Class of 2021 recruiting.

Reactions: baseball31ne
Jucos panning out or not can also have to do with coaching. We shall see in a few years...
It has a lot to do with coaching. Wisconsin wanted Honas bad and their LB's are very good. How many LB's have we had who have actually gotten better in the last few years? Barry, Honas, and Miller all have more than enough physical ability to be good players. They're not there mentally though and most of that is on coaching.

It has a lot to do with coaching. Wisconsin wanted Honas bad and their LB's are very good. How many LB's have we had who have actually gotten better in the last few years? Barry, Honas, and Miller all have more than enough physical ability to be good players. They're not there mentally though and most of that is on coaching.
Players don't always pan out as a full-time LB, in the mental aspects or all the mental aspects.

Both Iowa and Nebraska have witnessed that with the current roster, with players, including LB.

How many of those guys were recruited by our current staff? None. Name one Juco guy who has been worth a damn recruited by Frost? Bearing in mind that I love coach Frost.
Deontai Williams could have made a difference this year, and he may be the most physically gifted player on the team. It's too bad he got hurt the first game, but hopefully he can get a waiver and play for another couple of years.

Bottom line with any recruit, can they help us and are they a football player at this level?

FWIW

Look at QB. The Council Bluffs kid went to TCU. But, the other one in Lincoln, is good too!

Good players don't always bring the intangibles necessary to succeed in either Lincoln or Iowa City.

It sounds like both fan bases are excited this week about Class of 2021 recruiting.
Sure some players just never catch on mentally no matter how good the coaching is, but that seems to happen here a lot more often than it does at other places. I think that points to a coaching issue. And if guys who actually play aren't mentally ready, imagine all the guys who never panned out. We've recruited lb's who were thought to be pretty talented coming out of high school, but a lot of them never panned out.

FWIW

High school classes tend to follow a 1/3 ratio

1/3 become starters
1/3 become contributors
1/3 don't pan out for various reasons - home sick, already peaked before getting to campus, grades, transfer, etc

JUCO kids tend to be more depth fillers but if you hit on some it makes a big difference for a team.

If we bring in 5 JUCO kids in this class and hit on 2 of them, then tha tis success.

Reactions: TheBeav815
High school classes tend to follow a 1/3 ratio

1/3 become starters
1/3 become contributors
1/3 don't pan out for various reasons - home sick, already peaked before getting to campus, grades, transfer, etc

JUCO kids tend to be more depth fillers but if you hit on some it makes a big difference for a team.

If we bring in 5 JUCO kids in this class and hit on 2 of them, then tha tis success.

Better than 50% ....

Juco players are a little different. Prefer high school talent, but hard to look back and not enjoy HofF talent in the NFL that began career in a JC.

But those diamonds in the rough are few and far between.

Sure some players just never catch on mentally no matter how good the coaching is, but that seems to happen here a lot more often than it does at other places. I think that points to a coaching issue. And if guys who actually play aren't mentally ready, imagine all the guys who never panned out. We've recruited lb's who were thought to be pretty talented coming out of high school, but a lot of them never panned out.
McCaffery, Mills and the new kicker have been tearing it up as has the O-Line. Johnson looked solid at RB and Domann has been playing well. Special teams rocked it this week. Only one penalty this week too. Jurgens went from a tight end to really playing well as a freshman. Keeping a team on the verge of its third straight losing season engaged in the game shows some pretty amazing coaching going on. Seems we like to call out the negative but not look at the balance of the job these coaches have done...

McCaffery, Mills and the new kicker have been tearing it up as has the O-Line. Johnson looked solid at RB and Domann has been playing well. Special teams rocked it this week. Only one penalty this week too. Jurgens went from a tight end to really playing well as a freshman. Keeping a team on the verge of its third straight losing season engaged in the game shows some pretty amazing coaching going on. Seems we like to call out the negative but not look at the balance of the job these coaches have done...
I was talking about the linebackers specifically. But as far as the rest of the team, I don't think the coaching has been great and I think our record proves that.

Will Honas and Dedrick Mills aren't bad?
True. Mills is better than Honas. I just remember there was a lot of hype about Honas when he came in. But now he is nothing more than a “decent” player. Nothing special. In my opinion he hasn’t been the same since his injury. So he probably does count as another good Juco guy this staff recruited.

Yes, my original musings on this issue can now be officially labeled as “full of shit”.

I guess I am just allowing my negative feelings toward our recruiting of late to spill over into my views on other topics. How do others on here feel about our current recruiting class? I am underwhelmed. But maybe that is full of shit too. It just doesn’t seem like the kind of recruiting class that can raise us above the rest of the West.

Reactions: Jkapke

Wow. "Pretty amazing coaching going on??" How could you tell on defense? We beat up on a bottom feeder, after giving up 30 points and 300+ yards of rushing just one game ago. Amazing what beating a really bad team can do to one's perception.

Reactions: MU4NU and SkerInCo
Wow. "Pretty amazing coaching going on??" How could you tell on defense? We beat up on a bottom feeder, after giving up 30 points and 300+ yards of rushing just one game ago. Amazing what beating a really bad team can do to one's perception.

By not having the team play with piss poor effort and fold after the losses we’ve had this year (aka Riley coached teams). We’re a extremely young team but making improvements as the season goes. But ya please keep bringing value to this board with those kind of weaka$$ comments....

Beating up on a bottom feeder is something we haven’t done in a long time. Maryland is awful, but we have played other awful teams and struggled in recent years. So we finally beat a bottom feeder the way a good team should beat a bottom feeder. And that came one week after playing very competitively against Wisconsin.

Yes... progress is happening and coaching has a lot to do with it. This team could have just given up like Maryland’s players have given up. Or like our players in Riley’s last year gave up. These guys this year are fighting and scrapping to the very end. The coaches are doing a good job of keeping them focused and disciplined.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT