ADVERTISEMENT

New 2020 RB commit- Jaquez Yant

This staff is flat out amazing at walk on recruiting. If he's athletic enough to play rb in Florida then he should be a perfect fit for Lb if rb doesn't work out.

Also, people claim they really want football back. I'm not so sure. We got a 3 star rb/Lb from Florida to walk on and it has 10 posts. Looks to me like people would rather just read/talk about covid.

HS running
This staff is flat out amazing at walk on recruiting. If he's athletic enough to play rb in Florida then he should be a perfect fit for Lb if rb doesn't work out.

Also, people claim they really want football back. I'm not so sure. We got a 3 star rb/Lb from Florida to walk on and it has 10 posts. Looks to me like people would rather just read/talk about covid.
What...you don't like covid?

Why would he walk on when he supposedly has offers from Miss, UAB and Southern Miss?
Most likely it's the culture/environment. Different things obviously important to people.

I like how Nebraska is aggressively going after walk ons from across the country, not only local kids. That gives me memories of I.M. Hipp. Would really like to see one or more of them turn into an unexpected star. I always root for the underdog to make that break through.

Why would he walk on when he supposedly has offers from Miss, UAB and Southern Miss?
I was curious also, but as a 2020 kid seems there could have been maybe grade issues or other offers got pulled, classes filled up, etc.
Maybe he’s “betting on himself” and feels he can earn a scholarship.
I’m sure it’s standard for our staff to sell them the opportunity.

Does anyone know? I imagine walk-ons are not excluded from qualifying for other scholarships which can be accessed in various ways, plus financial aid. So there could be ways to make things more affordable.
The breakdown is probably part of the pitch. “Sure you’ll incur debt but our support services help get you into a career field where you’ll be able to manage repaying that investment.”

Reactions: TheBeav815
My guess is the ole miss offer probably wasn't committable and he wanted to go to a big time program. Held probably convinced him he would be in line for an early scholarship.
I've wondered how if we do not have a goofball season what sports will be affected in Lincoln. Will it affect numbers in the walk-on program? According to USA Today report on athletic programs financial, donations this past year dropped from $26 million to $16 million. Something's got to give somewhere.

I was curious also, but as a 2020 kid seems there could have been maybe grade issues or other offers got pulled, classes filled up, etc.
Maybe he’s “betting on himself” and feels he can earn a scholarship.
I’m sure it’s standard for our staff to sell them the opportunity.

Does anyone know? I imagine walk-ons are not excluded from qualifying for other scholarships which can be accessed in various ways, plus financial aid. So there could be ways to make things more affordable.
The breakdown is probably part of the pitch. “Sure you’ll incur debt but our support services help get you into a career field where you’ll be able to manage repaying that investment.”
could also be taking advantage of free school NU offers for families if they qualify (household income <$60k/yr).

that rule could greatly expand our 'scholarship limit' if kids want to essentially just pay for housing.

Reactions: HominidHusker
I've wondered how if we do not have a goofball season what sports will be affected in Lincoln. Will it affect numbers in the walk-on program? According to USA Today report on athletic programs financial, donations this past year dropped from $26 million to $16 million. Something's got to give somewhere.

Every day on this board is a goofball season, and I'm happy as a clam about it.

ADVERTISEMENT