ADVERTISEMENT

"Never thought about throwing it the last series,.....

Sep 22, 2015
the goal was to make them burn their timeouts and run the clock."

Does that make any sense to anyone else here? I know I'm not a Head Coach, but knowing that Wiscy would have a minute and a half to get into field goal range,...well. I would REALLY want to try and get that first down.

Just an opinion.

Who said we didn't try for a first down?

With that being said, I'm glad we ran it 3 times but wish we ran a more aggressive run play on 3rd down to get the first.

And with that being said, Wiscy had no more timeouts. It was up to the D to step up and they fell a little short.

Reactions: 94husker
I was honestly thinking that the third down play from last week would have been perfect. QB rollout, run pass option. Throw if it is open, if not run for what you can get.

I don't think Reilly is/was as bad as this looks.

Right now he looks like he doesn't know what to do-starts out the season by suspending a bunch of players, but won't bench Lewis, or even remove his captaincy.

Keeps a bunch of redshirts/burns a bunch of redshirts.

Passes, or lets his players pass on 3rd/4th with a minute left last week. Runs with two minutes left this week-like he is reacting to what he did last week, but not thinking this week is its own week.

One week is gabbing with the refs on the sidelines-today gets a personal foul for yelling at the refs.

Again, I don't think he is this bad, and he seems like a good human being, but he looks totally lost.

the goal was to make them burn their timeouts and run the clock."

Does that make any sense to anyone else here? I know I'm not a Head Coach, but knowing that Wiscy would have a minute and a half to get into field goal range,...well. I would REALLY want to try and get that first down.

Just an opinion.

He doesn't know what he's doing. He made the calls today that we needed LAST WEEK. He let the debacle last week influence today, when we needed to be more aggressive getting a first down. Talk about lack of depth/injuries/bad attitudes all you want, either Riley is not a good coach or he is choking in the spotlight.

I feel bad for all involved, except for Eichorst. He created this mess.

Riley should have learned his lesson that this team can't give the ball to the other team with a chance to win with 1 minute left - even with no time outs. I think the smart play would have been to throw it short at least once on the final series. They didn't have a lot to lose and they had a lot to gain.

Riley should have learned his lesson that this team can't give the ball to the other team with a chance to win with 1 minute left - even with no time outs. I think the smart play would have been to throw it short at least once on the final series. They didn't have a lot to lose and they had a lot to gain.

Heh no problem with 3 runs, but can you imagine if Riley throws on any of those downs and gets an incomplete pass? He wouldn't have made it out of the stadium alive. The run calls were right, they just had zero imagination or creativity....bootleg? waggle? some misdirection knowing Wisky will be pursuing to the ball?

Last week's horrible clock management affected the call on NU's final offensive series. There was no way they were going to risk an incomplete pass and have the fans question the call.

In reality, this week was a completely different situation with a different set of variables. If getting a first down wasn't the top priority and worthy of taking on some risk then shame on the coaches for not have any guts because you should know how our pass defense is going to respond when the opponent is driving to win the game in the final seconds.

Reactions: CameronKrazie86
Heh no problem with 3 runs, but can you imagine if Riley throws on any of those downs and gets an incomplete pass? He wouldn't have made it out of the stadium alive. The run calls were right, they just had zero imagination or creativity....bootleg? waggle? some misdirection knowing Wisky will be pursuing to the ball?
I don't understand why they wouldn't call out a play for Tommy to run it, with the option to pass. ONE 1st down is all they needed to win.

Our fans are smart enough to know that when a team has 3 timeouts you may have to pass to get a first down.

It was weak not to at least call it on 2nd down.

Reactions: mountainmann
Substitute "would" for "wouldn't" and that's what we were gnashing our teeth over this past week...again, the run calls were the right calls, they were just so unimaginative and predictable...we ran 3 times into the teeth of their defense. Why not bootleg or misdirection, maybe one of their guys blows contain...

Substitute "would" for "wouldn't" and that's what we were gnashing our teeth over this past week...again, the run calls were the right calls, they were just so unimaginative and predictable...we ran 3 times into the teeth of their defense. Why not bootleg or misdirection, maybe one of their guys blows contain...
I think we all can agree that the plays they called were not very smart.

If he'd called a pass play and it went incomplete, you guys would be bitching about not running.
Not true. This week was a completely different situation than last week. Unfortunately, it appears our HC could not tell the difference either.

Not true. This week was a completely different situation than last week. Unfortunately, it appears our HC could not tell the difference either.
Agreed, not even trying to get the 1st down was ridiculous, especially when you knew that they would have the time they had left. With only a Field goal needed to win.

It makes no sense and not doing so is exactly why we are 2-4. Especially when we have a MOBILE QB. Plus, what I really don't like is that he specifically said that throwing it was never an option.

No because Wisky had time outs. totally different situation. the smart fan knows you get a first down this week. doesn't matter how

No because Wisky had time outs. totally different situation. the smart fan knows you get a first down this week. doesn't matter how

I don't think we have many smart fans. Again, if it works, great but if TA throws an incomplete pass (likely, didn't throw well today) and the rest of the game plays out the same, you, I and everyone else would be here calling for Riley's head (again), timeouts or not.

Many in this thread are so full of sh*t it's just unreal. Riley would literally be crucified had they thrown the ball, yet here you are complaining about running.

On a side note, why didn't it work? I've read thread after thread where Nebraska should just line up and run it as the run game is great. Well you got your wish...

Last edited:
I don't think we have many smart fans. Again, if it works, great but if TA throws an incomplete pass (likely, didn't throw well today) and the rest of the game plays out the same, you, I and everyone else would be here calling for Riley's head (again), timeouts or not.

Speak for yourself. They have 3 timeouts. Running it 3 straight times is exactly what Wisconsin needed us to do get the ball back.

A first down and the game is over instead we gave it back to them at their 32. We had to punt in the wind. The clock stops regardless. The clock stops for 1st downs in college them having one timeout wasn't going to change the fact they were going to throw it.

Anyone who questions this is stupid, plain and simple. You run the ball. Pass and throw an incomplete pass and it's far worse. Quit with the hindsight bs. "Most knowledgeable fans" my ass.

Cause Wisky didn't want us to run it 3 straight times. Not hindsight, I was hoping for a play to get a first down. Any knowledgeable fan wouldn't trust this defense.

Speak for yourself. They have 3 timeouts. Running it 3 straight times is exactly what Wisconsin needed us to do get the ball back.

A first down and the game is over instead we gave it back to them at their 32. We had to punt in the wind. The clock stops regardless. The clock stops for 1st downs in college them having one timeout wasn't going to change the fact they were going to throw it.

I have to lawl. Listen we punted, they had the ball with 1:03 left at their own 32 and no timeouts. Our D gave very little resistance, predictably, but we still forced their FG kicker to make a FG. My only problem with our last series is running the ball directly into the box when they have all 11 guys planted there. We couldn't run up the middle with 7 guys in the box, I don't understand why we couldn't have been just a tad bit more unpredictable with the run game, like a QB bootleg.

But to suggest we should have passed after the BS last week is absolutely the wrong call. TA wasn't capable of doing anything passing other than throwing it up for grabs and hope our WR makes a play.

Many in this thread are so full of sh*t it's just unreal. Riley would literally be crucified had they thrown the ball, yet here you are complaining about running.

On a side note, why didn't it work? I've read thread after thread where Nebraska should just line up and run it as the run game is great. We'll you got your wish...
I totally understand why you're not smart enough to comprehend the difference between today and last week, but what I don't understand is why our coach isn't smart enough.

I was honestly thinking that the third down play from last week would have been perfect. QB rollout, run pass option. Throw if it is open, if not run for what you can get.

That would have been the exactly correct play to call. Sadly, Riley learned last week that Tommy cannot execute something that wild and crazy. That is 100% why that play was not called.

Cause Wisky didn't want us to run it 3 straight times. Not hindsight, I was hoping for a play to get a first down. Any knowledgeable fan wouldn't trust this defense.
Yeah, cuz it had been playing so AWFUL. If wisky didn't think we'd run it three times we woulda gotten more yards running. Jeans, we usually agree, but I gotta tell you: your viewpoint is stupid. Riley did what was right. I was hoping to get a first down too, but not at the risk of throwing an incomplete pass, which would have probably happened considering how horrible our pass game was. Honestly, think. And you are thinking hindsight whether you admit it or not.

If Tommy had even made 50 percent of passes in 2nd half, I'd listen to those saying he should have thrown, but he was terrible again in the 2nd half. Pick your poison, bad QB or bad secondary.

We have much better run plays than what we ran. Embarrassing play calls.

On a side note, why didn't it work? I've read thread after thread where Nebraska should just line up and run it as the run game is great. Well you got your wish...
It's not about throwing genius, it's about getting the 1st down. This was a completely different situation then last week.
Ignorant.

Our fans puzzle me, damned if you do, damned if you don't...the real answer is play some friggin D, but we didn't. Like the other poster said, bad teams find a way to lose...

Getting the first down was much more important than making Wisconsin burn a final TO. With them only needing to get into FG range, a 1 minute+ in the college game is an eternity to go 30-40 yards. No timeout necessary.

What we did was trade a run up the gut (with close to zero chance of gaining a first down) for their final timeout. Just not a trade that is worth making. The first down was much more valuable at that point, you need to at least make an ATTEMPT to gain it in that situation. A creative run, a short pass, play action, whatever. I don't consider running up the middle into a pile of defenders to be an attempt.

So basically we may have lost 2 games based on the bad ending last week. Riley didn't have the balls to play the ODDS this week. Even though those two situations were COMPLETELY different than each other - score, time remaining, field position etc. He chose to be dumb and play them the exact same way instead of looking at the situation in the current game in a vacuum.

ADVERTISEMENT