ADVERTISEMENT

Nebrasketball

Maybe this is too simplistic a view, but:

These guys are 19-20-21-year olds. They've pretty much spent their whole life doing nothing but playing and practicing basketball. How can they be this bad? How can they miss so many open shots? How can they not make layups? How can they not make free-throws? How can they not know enough to pass the ball on fast breaks?

I see high-school girls who can make shots when they're open.

I'm pretty discouraged . . . thought this year would be different . . .

The problem is that our roster is mainly bench/role players from what I see compared to other B1G teams. McGowens would start on a lot of teams, outside of that I don’t think any of our starters would start on any other team in the league. I’m not saying they aren’t B1G caliber players because I think they are, just not in a starting/primary role. All of these guys should be coming off the bench in some capacity, not start.
I was impressed with the young freshman center that got playing time last night. He was active on defense and passed well. He has made progress since last time I saw him. He is just so thin. Doesn't have a body to put a BIG body on. Add to him the young McGown and the big from California and we could be Tim Miles competitive. Don't trust the JC shooters Fred is bringing in.

Reactions: TheNewNU
I was impressed with the young freshman center that got playing time last night. He was active on defense and passed well. He has made progress since last time I saw him. He is just so thin. Doesn't have a body to put a BIG body on. Add to him the young McGown and the big from California and we could be Tim Miles competitive. Don't trust the JC shooters Fred is bringing in.
Ive seen enough Jucos at this point (Cam Mack, Jervay Green, Teddy Allen, and Lat Mayen) That I know we need to steer clear of those kids. We are hitting on about 1/4 at this point. I have serious doubts about Tominaga's ability to get a shot off at the B1G level sure he looks good against a bunch of white kids in bumbletown Texas but hows he gonna do against the Marcus Carrs? Not good imo.

Me. He stuffs his stat sheet and makes the whole team worse.
I have a hard time laying this team's struggles at any one player's feet. I don't begrudge your opinion, but I think Teddy is the hard-nosed scorer that we can build on. He has attitude issues but I still think he's a team player. He just seems like as soon as he doesn't like a call or he thinks an opponent is disrespecting him he melts down. Get past that and I like what he brings scoring in the paint, rebounding and defense.

I have a hard time laying this team's struggles at any one player's feet. I don't begrudge your opinion, but I think Teddy is the hard-nosed scorer that we can build on. He has attitude issues but I still think he's a team player. He just seems like as soon as he doesn't like a call or he thinks an opponent is disrespecting him he melts down. Get past that and I like what he brings scoring in the paint, rebounding and defense.
I completely agree with this.

need to find a way to get him a couple easy buckets early, too. confidence seems to be a big part of his game, and when it goes south it goes south fast.

he's the only pure scorer we have. would like to see him in a little better shape next year, too.

Reactions: mgbreis
Ive seen enough Jucos at this point (Cam Mack, Jervay Green, Teddy Allen, and Lat Mayen) That I know we need to steer clear of those kids. We are hitting on about 1/4 at this point. I have serious doubts about Tominaga's ability to get a shot off at the B1G level sure he looks good against a bunch of white kids in bumbletown Texas but hows he gonna do against the Marcus Carrs? Not good imo.
But he’s the Golden Child & has mystical powers

The classes have looked good though with guys that are shooting well at other schools. Then they get here and drop 10-15% off their FGs and FTs. A combination of some still being young and some not true B1G talent I suppose. Andre is the most intriguing dude on our team. Very active on both ends and he made some nasty passes yesterday. I feel like our team is often scared to make a tough pass to a guy who will have an easy layup.
The passing on this team sucks. It's always to a guy moving away from the basket. They hardly even look for guys cutting to the basket in the rare instance it does happen.

Teddy is about the only one with any offensive ability on this team. Nobody really plays as a team anyway. Might as well try to let Teddy go off for 30 a night, and we'd probably have a better chance at winning.

Reactions: ATX Husker
I completely agree with this.

need to find a way to get him a couple easy buckets early, too. confidence seems to be a big part of his game, and when it goes south it goes south fast.

he's the only pure scorer we have. would like to see him in a little better shape next year, too.
No doubt he's a scorer. Needs to learn to get his teammates involved. And play defense.

Reactions: John_J_Rambo
Teddy is about the only one with any offensive ability on this team. Nobody really plays as a team anyway. Might as well try to let Teddy go off for 30 a night, and we'd probably have a better chance at winning.
Will def be more entertaining than the garbage I watched last night. That looked like a pickup game @ the YMCA.

That is what sucks because he is one of the head cases on the team...

Hoibergs up tempo offense is just creating more one on one play with the roster he has and he is even frustrated with all the turnovers the last 2 games back from Covid...

Still say they also need a big man or two .. Not saying a Garza is going to fall in your lap but guys like Robbins from Minnesota Potter from Wisconsin and Trayce J-Davis from Indiana and Williams from Purdue would truly help offensive rebounding and defending down in the block..
Maybe this is too simplistic a view, but:

These guys are 19-20-21-year olds. They've pretty much spent their whole life doing nothing but playing and practicing basketball. How can they be this bad? How can they miss so many open shots? How can they not make layups? How can they not make free-throws? How can they not know enough to pass the ball on fast breaks?

I see high-school girls who can make shots when they're open.

I'm pretty discouraged . . . thought this year would be different . . .
fire moos. Hire a new AD who puts pressure to win. Tired of the excuses

Miles had one Juco guard that came in who actually played way better than anybody expected. Made himself a legit threat to can a 3 and seemed to always hit clutch shots. Name escapes me now. Played big. Good defender. Other than that, JUCOs haven't been great for us.

Miles had one Juco guard that came in who actually played way better than anybody expected. Made himself a legit threat to can a 3 and seemed to always hit clutch shots. Name escapes me now. Played big. Good defender. Other than that, JUCOs haven't been great for us.
Probably Evan Taylor. Good role player. Had played at Samford prior to JUCO.

Reactions: dinglefritz
Probably Evan Taylor. Good role player. Had played at Samford prior to JUCO.
That's it. I like the way that developed. Nice player who I said we were going to miss tremendously when he graduated. Solid defender and while not a tremendous 3 shooter seemed to knock down some clutch ones and other teams had to defend him. That helped other guys a bunch.

That's it. I like the way that developed. Nice player who I said we were going to miss tremendously when he graduated. Solid defender and while not a tremendous 3 shooter seemed to knock down some clutch ones and other teams had to defend him. That helped other guys a bunch.
Taylor was also one of the few guys who kept busting his butt until the season was over, while some others packed it in early.

Couple of Miles's former Huskers are having some success this year. Jeriah Horne is having a very good season at Colorado and Jordy is starting and getting a lot of minutes at Dayton. Neither would still be at NU if they had stayed, but at least they carved out decent college careers. Thomas Allen also getting some playing time at NC State.

Reactions: dinglefritz
Miles success largely came through Jucos and transfers. He seemed to recruit pretty well, but really struggled to retain and develop the high school recruits he brought on.

Leslee Smith was another productive Juco from the Miles era. His knee injury before the 2014-2015 season left a hole on that roster, and contributed to the big fall off from the NCAA tournament team the prior season.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT