ADVERTISEMENT

Nebrasketball @ Illinois: Ayo out?

Lat Mayan is Awful!!
Has to force his shot to get one tonight. Cockburn doesn't have to guard anybody and we can't drive the paint. Lat is a better player than I expected but he can't create a shot. As another guy We're 4/20 from 3 tonight.

Where the hell is Walker??

edit: went in as I typed that
Has to force his shot to get one tonight. Cockburn doesn't have to guard anybody and we can't drive the paint. Lat is a better player than I expected but he can't create a shot. As another guy We're 4/20 from 3 tonight.

It is painful to watch all of our bigs never be a shooting threat. Would have to think Hoiberg would benefit greatly from an Isaiah Roby type. (Who wouldn’t?) I could see Walker or Andre developing a mid range jumper.

Reactions: dinglefritz
It is painful to watch all of our bigs never be a shooting threat. Would have to think Hoiberg would benefit greatly from an Isaiah Roby type. I could see Walker or Andre developing a mid range jumper.
Andre needs to be told he can't leave after practice until he makes 100 free throws and 100 3s. He should learn a set shot that he can make at least half the time. IF we had a big that would make other teams come out and guard, it would really open the lane AND other 3 point shooters. Sigh. Baby steps.

Reactions: SomedayHusker
This team is running on fumes with 10 in 20 days. Basketball is weird this year. N Carolina gets taken to the woodshed by a shitty Marquette team that throttled the Jay once at CHI and almost beat them there. All the brackets still show Creighton as a 6 - 8 seed in spite of their record. Really crappy losses (q3) in a week conference eams kills them with their seed.

Just noticed Jeriah Horne averages 11 and 6 for CU....they are 17-7 on the year, good move for him I guess...

This team is running on fumes with 10 in 20 days. Basketball is weird this year. N Carolina gets taken to the woodshed by a shitty Marquette team that throttled the Jay once at CHI and almost beat them there. All the brackets still show Creighton as a 6 - 8 seed in spite of their record. Really crappy losses (q3) in a week conference eams kills them with their seed.
Sooner or Later, you’d think even Q-bomb would get tired of posting this crap.

Just noticed Jeriah Horne averages 11 and 6 for CU....they are 17-7 on the year, good move for him I guess...
Horne’s had a really good year. Still doesn’t play much D but he’s a solid shooter and his rebounding really improved over the years.

Michigan State wins its third in a row. Addition by subtraction might save their season.

Andre needs to be told he can't leave after practice until he makes 100 free throws and 100 3s. He should learn a set shot that he can make at least half the time. IF we had a big that would make other teams come out and guard, it would really open the lane AND other 3 point shooters. Sigh. Baby steps.
I think thats what they are hoping Breidenbach will do.

Horne’s had a really good year. Still doesn’t play much D but he’s a solid shooter and his rebounding really improved over the years.
I don't know how a coach motivates kids that are high on pot most of the time. It's just counter productive from a competition stand point. It has become a real problem in athletics. Horne could be so much better. From of the stories I've heard from people I would consider insiders in Lincoln, I have to wonder if that isn't some of the problem with Nebraska basketball. :confused: I don't mind a college kid being a college kid but it sounds like there might be some guys who have problems with abuse.

I think thats what they are hoping Breidenbach will do.
The only problem with that is that he isn't going to be able to guard guys like CocKburn and the other bigs in the B1G. We need a full grown man who can make an outside shot. Hell IF Andre could develop a set shot that he could hit 25% of the time from 3 it would be a huge deal.

The only problem with that is that he isn't going to be able to guard guys like CocKburn and the other bigs in the B1G. We need a full grown man who can make an outside shot. Hell IF Andre could develop a set shot that he could hit 25% of the time from 3 it would be a huge deal.

It doesn't even need to be from 3-point range. Heck, a set shot from the free throw line (mid-range) would help create even a little more space. I seem to recall that Illinois bigs played about 2 feet from the basket whenever our big guys were at the high post - because there was no threat of any offensive production from that area of the court.

It doesn't even need to be from 3-point range. Heck, a set shot from the free throw line (mid-range) would help create even a little more space. I seem to recall that Illinois bigs played about 2 feet from the basket whenever our big guys were at the high post - because there was no threat of any offensive production from that area of the court.
IMO, if you're going to have a big shoot from outside the free throw line it might as well be with his toes just shy of the big arc. WAY more effective in drawing out a defender and really the percentage might not be different. They just need to get comfortable doing it. Think about it. IF a guy like Yvan can shoot 40-50% from the line, why can't he hit 30% from 3 with nobody guarding him and no time to think? He can. Who cares if 2/3 clank or are airballs. IF they'll give it to you, take it.

Now I understand that the whole point of using our bigs up top to hand off the ball is to make opposing bigs come out and at least hedge the guy coming off of that high screen and that works to some degree but we have to have something else going on with our wings to try to get them open for easy shots. I don't see it. I see a whole bunch of standing around watching that action on top. IMO we need more screens away from the ball to try to mess up the defensive assignments to get guys open looks. When that big who comes out to hedge hand offs can crash the paint and completely forget about his man it's a problem. IF we can ever get to where we have a big who can make them pay for that, it will help. Hell in that regard we were better off with Thor playing the 5 last year.

Walker needed to shoot a couple times last night. He was basically shooting a FT if he had.

Walker needed to shoot a couple times last night. He was basically shooting a FT if he had.
I don't care if he shoots 25% from outside, it just pisses me off when they turn down open shots like that. IF you can hit one of those just every now and then it changes the way they have to defend.

Reactions: PvilleHuskerTim
I don't know how a coach motivates kids that are high on pot most of the time. It's just counter productive from a competition stand point. It has become a real problem in athletics. Horne could be so much better. From of the stories I've heard from people I would consider insiders in Lincoln, I have to wonder if that isn't some of the problem with Nebraska basketball. :confused: I don't mind a college kid being a college kid but it sounds like there might be some guys who have problems with abuse.
I have no idea if Nebraska basketball has a weed problem or not, or what this has to do with Jeriah Horne's rebounding. NU's current roster has about three legitimate Power 5 players on it, a couple of projects, and some guys who would be way better off playing in the Summit League. So I suspect weed use has little to do with their struggles.

I have no idea if Nebraska basketball has a weed problem or not, or what this has to do with Jeriah Horne's rebounding. NU's current roster has about three legitimate Power 5 players on it, a couple of projects, and some guys who would be way better off playing in the Summit League. So I suspect weed use has little to do with their struggles.
Im not so sure. I used to live in a downtown Omaha apartment and about half Creightons team lived there. Every single time I would cross paths with one of their players, he always smelt like weed. For better or worse it seems to be part of the game now. Im definitely not condoning it but Its most likely a losing battle for our coaches.

Im not so sure. I used to live in a downtown Omaha apartment and about half Creightons team lived there. Every single time I would cross paths with one of their players, he always smelt like weed. For better or worse it seems to be part of the game now. Im definitely not condoning it but Its most likely a losing battle for our coaches.

I remember going to a game where somebody held up a sign whenever P'Allen Stinnett dunked that said P'Allen Sure Does Get High.

Weed isn't legal like alcohol, but in my mind it affects a team in exactly the same way. Guys drink and have fun in college and it's not big deal, but some guys drink too much and it affects their lives and athletic performance. Same deal with weed. I think we all know there were some guys on the football team the last couple years that had issues with it.

At least one guy has a problem. Not just use. A problem.

I think it would be pretty tough to motivate stoners to play hard and then be able to finish games.
Chronic smoke inhalation of any kind is not good for your pulmonary function let alone smoke from a member of the ragweed family. I understand that recreational pot use is common in college athletes now but man if you're a habitual daily user, that's not going to help your game.

Reactions: TheNewNU
At least one guy has a problem. Not just use. A problem.
Noted. Meanwhile Jeriah Horne is still have a pretty good grad-transfer season, and how that led to a discussion about weed is completely beyond me.

Noted. Meanwhile Jeriah Horne is still have a pretty good grad-transfer season, and how that led to a discussion about weed is completely beyond me.
At least the rumor during his time in Lincoln was that he used and that was one of the things he and Miles had issues over. It dovetails with the fact that we had a starter holed up in quarantine at a hotel a couple of weeks ago and a delivery was intercepted. According to my source it isn't an isolated instance. That's all.

ADVERTISEMENT