ADVERTISEMENT

Nebrasketball bitch about the refs and coach thread vs Illinois.

And where was Okeke, in a game we needed d fensive rebounds?
Kind of like where was Palmer and Allen for the last possession against PSU with the game tied?
substitution patterns are probably my biggest complaint about Miles followed closely by him calling out players in the media.

Clearly Miles has moved on from Okeke.
Miles has always wanted to play up tempo with a smaller 5 and he finally has the guys to do it this year. Okeke would play more if it were me but Roby is a real matchup problem and he had double digit rebounds tonight.

Neb is certainly poorly coached, we have some athletes. Moos will decide

And where was Okeke, in a game we needed d fensive rebounds?
Kind of like where was Palmer and Allen for the last possession against PSU with the game tied?
Okeke should be playing more, but everybody on the roster needs to make a better commitment to rebounding. It's one thing to get absolutely destroyed on the boards when the other team has a couple of aircraft carriers, but tonight they just got outworked.

if miles stays, he can set the record for most 3s given up when you're ahead by 2 in the last 10 seconds. the guy just doesn't get it.

Reactions: regionsdoc
Okeke should be playing more, but everybody on the roster needs to make a better commitment to rebounding. It's one thing to get absolutely destroyed on the boards when the other team has a couple of aircraft carriers, but tonight they just got outworked.
The one terrible thing when trying to box out is all the wild long shots that got thrown up. Man its tough to box and rebound on outside jumpers especially as badly as some of them were missed. Black was a beast rebounding.

if miles stays, he can set the record for most 3s given up when you're ahead by 2 in the last 10 seconds. the guy just doesn't get it.
Bingo.
What’s THE ONE THING YOU DONT DO WHEN UP 2 at the end of the game???
Seriously, how did the team not learn from the KU game? You don’t help on a drive when your man is sitting on the 3 pt line. Either NU has the lowest team basketball IQ in div-1, or miles doesn’t know how to deliver key messages.

Bingo.
Seriously, how did the team not learn from the KU game? You don’t help on a drive when your man is sitting on the 3 pt line. Either NU has the lowest team basketball IQ in div-1, or miles doesn’t know how to deliver key messages.

Bingo.
And yet Illinois did the same thing...it happens every single night in college basketball. I saw Minnesota let PSU's best player drain a 3 to take the game to overtime tonight in fact. You go try to guard some of these guys and see how you do. You're at a disadvantage right from the start. You can't foul only up by 2 and if they get past you they can get to the rack. The refs had been calling ticky tacky crap on NU all night.

And yet Illinois did the same thing...it happens every single night in college basketball. I saw Minnesota let PSU's best player drain a 3 to take the game to overtime tonight in fact. You go try to guard some of these guys and see how you do. You're at a disadvantage right from the start. You can't foul only up by 2 and if they get past you they can get to the rack. The refs had been calling ticky tacky crap on NU all night.

you're at home and have the better team and you still get a shot to score in regulation. you can live with a 2, you cannot under any circumstance give up the 3 there.

Miles has always wanted to play up tempo with a smaller 5 and he finally has the guys to do it this year. Okeke would play more if it were me but Roby is a real matchup problem and he had double digit rebounds tonight.
It isn't so much confusion as it is the difficulty in trying to move the ball around and over the kind of length we have on the floor with Roby, Palmer and Copeland in the game at the same time. Palmer at the top makes it extremely tough to reverse the ball.

Da da da, da da da (ESPN highlight sound).

To all you fans who continue to grouse, whine, moan, and post dumb digs against Miles and the team, just go away. Be a Hawkeye fan or something.

Get your ugly no pants old man booty avatar out of here! Read the thread it was exactly for: grouse, whine, moaning and giving dumb digs to the team, refs, and miles etc..

Reactions: dinglefritz
you're at home and have the better team and you still get a shot to score in regulation. you can live with a 2, you cannot under any circumstance give up the 3 there.
And yet it happens every single night in college basketball somewhere and it happened tonight for the tie between PSU and Minnesota. Fire Pitino. Shit happens. We contested the shot but that Finke or whatever his name is was on fire tonight. ironically their best 3 shooter I think didn't make a single one tonight.

I just knew that's what it would be. That's what it ALWAYs is even if we win.

C'mon man, the B1G is waaaay down this year in basketball. And we're barely squeaking out wins at home against the worst in the league?? If you're OK with playing like this in year 6, then your OK with keeping a below average coaching staff around; which is fine if you're OK with having some of the best facilities in the nation and still being below average.

Last edited:
Dumb digs? It just took a buzzer beater to beat the worst team in the league at home. This team lost to Iowa by 7. That should tell you all you need to know. It was of the ugliest wins I can remember. But a win is a win I guess.
This team was up by double figures against Iowa. They’ve lost 5 games by 12 points. Yes, they are at the bottom of the B1G, but this is not the first time they’ve pushed a team to the brink.

Man, what a great buzzer beater by Palmer!!

I’m not sure when we last had a 3 at the buzzer to win, but these kinds of shots are rare. Enjoy it fans and more importantly, enjoy it as a team. Shots like that can really catapult a team.

BOOOOOM!!

It was ugly, but it goes into the win column. Had JPJ not made that shot I have to wonder if this season would have gone down the crapper. That was a must win for RPI purposes as is Thursday night if we want a shot at the dance. The outcome of last nights game was perfect, play terrible and still win. Should be enough to get the teams attention for Michigan. Two days of boxing out might be a good idea...we now rank #333 in the country in giving up offensive boards.

Man, what a great buzzer beater by Palmer!!

I’m not sure when we last had a 3 at the buzzer to win, but these kinds of shots are rare. Enjoy it fans and more importantly, enjoy it as a team. Shots like that can really catapult a team.

BOOOOOM!!
This team needed something to kind of get their mojo going. That might be enough. They just didn't look like they've been having any fun the last 2 games.

This team needed something to kind of get their mojo going. That might be enough. They just didn't look like they've been having any fun the last 2 games.
Agree. I had this Illinois game pegged as a trap game myself. The team was deflated after a heart breaker loss to Penn State, surrounded by a lot of mystery around Jordy, their best player was benched down the stretch against Penn State, and I just didn't think the energy would be there. If they had lost another heart breaker to Illinois, the bottom may have fallen out. But now that they got that win, I could see a big crowd for the Michigan game that may prove to be one of the last chances for a resume builder.

The game Wednesday is as big as they come at this stage in the season. I hope the fans are loud and supportive.

Agree. I had this Illinois game pegged as a trap game myself. The team was deflated after a heart breaker loss to Penn State, surrounded by a lot of mystery around Jordy, their best player was benched down the stretch against Penn State, and I just didn't think the energy would be there. If they had lost another heart breaker to Illinois, the bottom may have fallen out. But now that they got that win, I could see a big crowd for the Michigan game that may prove to be one of the last chances for a resume builder.

The game Wednesday is as big as they come at this stage in the season. I hope the fans are loud and supportive.
I haven't watched much of Michigan but the part of one game I did watch holy cow they've got a kid that can drain it from anywhere across half court. Really quick tough guard who was getting shots off against pressure.

I haven't watched much of Michigan but the part of one game I did watch holy cow they've got a kid that can drain it from anywhere across half court. Really quick tough guard who was getting shots off against pressure.

they're a good team and they have a coach who is light years ahead of miles.

Reactions: Red Steve and newAD
Miles hasn't beaten Michigan once in 6 years here. And most of the losses have been blowouts. Beilein owns Miles like McDermott.

Reactions: Red Steve
One of many things that makes Michigan tough to beat is that even if you’re up on them, they can score in bunches and that can rattle many teams— not just Nebraska.

Maryland was up 10 on Michigan In the second half and they never give up.

I fully expect for Michigan to be favored by 4.5-6 points in Lincoln. But a win is not out of the question.

Copeland is due for another breakout game and if the other guys can give quality minutes; Nebraska is also a dangerous team, no matter what many on this board think.

they're a good team and they have a coach who is light years ahead of miles.

I said it last year, I really like how Michigan plays on offense. They are currently just outside the top 50 in FG% at 47.8%. Nebraska, well at least we are above last year's tie at 301, and we're 278th. :(

Last edited:
One of many things that makes Michigan tough to beat is that even if you’re up on them, they can score in bunches and that can rattle many teams— not just Nebraska.

Maryland was up 10 on Michigan In the second half and they never give up.

I fully expect for Michigan to be favored by 4.5-6 points in Lincoln. But a win is not out of the question.

Copeland is due for another breakout game and if the other guys can give quality minutes; Nebraska is also a dangerous team, no matter what many on this board think.

I'm not too optimistic. I think it is safe to say they aren't as good as they were at the end of the season last year, and Nebraska is better than they were last year, but the last time they were in the building they almost won by 40.

If you get any kind of lead on Michigan, you have to step on their throat and never let up. They looked absolutely horrible against Maryland in the first half yesterday, then woke up and came all the way back. Only one loss in the past six weeks, so they are a handful.

Reactions: chicolby
If you get any kind of lead on Michigan, you have to step on their throat and never let up. They looked absolutely horrible against Maryland in the first half yesterday, then woke up and came all the way back. Only one loss in the past six weeks, so they are a handful.
And if Nebraska loses, the fans will moan as if Nebraska should win every game they play.

I think at the end of the day, we have a bunch of football fans who don’t understand the game of basketball to the same degree that they understand football. Yes of course they understand the rules, even offensive systems and defense variations. I’m not calling our fans dumb. Just that there are nuances in a basketball season where teams get hot, or are in a rut. There are games that you’d love to have back (e.g., St Johns). But in basketball, it’s much more of an ongoing process.

Look at South Carolina last year. They finished 12-6 in the SEC, a conference known for a top team or two and mostly cupcakes. Not a special season. They had 6 conference losses that many fans probably felt were dumb losses with bad coaching. It’s just part of the grind of a basketball season.

That game was coming off a huge win vs MIchigan State, so they SHOULD have had a huge letdown vs Maryland, especially in the 1st half. The fact that they found a way to win that game says they are legit under any circumstances. And, like nearly every BIG 10 game, Nebraska will walk in the gym well behind in the coaching column.

And if Nebraska loses, the fans will moan as if Nebraska should win every game they play.

I think at the end of the day, we have a bunch of football fans who don’t understand the game of basketball to the same degree that they understand football. Yes of course they understand the rules, even offensive systems and defense variations. I’m not calling our fans dumb. Just that there are nuances in a basketball season where teams get hot, or are in a rut. There are games that you’d love to have back (e.g., St Johns). But in basketball, it’s much more of an ongoing process.

Look at South Carolina last year. They finished 12-6 in the SEC, a conference known for a top team or two and mostly cupcakes. Not a special season. They had 6 conference losses that many fans probably felt were dumb losses with bad coaching. It’s just part of the grind of a basketball season.

Actually, I think our fans are smart enough to know that Michigan is one of the last opportunities we have to put a quality win on the resume. Our RPI and SOS is not grabbing anybody's attention right now and that's why nobody is talking about us being on the so called "bubble" at this point. So yes, if we do lose Nebraska fans will probably moan knowing that a loss is damaging to any fan who dreams of getting an at large bid. At the end of the day Nebraska needs to find a way to at minimum go 11-7 in the Big Ten regular season. They can still do that with a loss to Michigan but after that we play one more game against a current top 50 RPI team and that's on the road. Maryland is on the cusp at #51.

Actually, I think our fans are smart enough to know that Michigan is one of the last opportunities we have to put a quality win on the resume. Our RPI and SOS is not grabbing anybody's attention right now and that's why nobody is talking about us being on the so called "bubble" at this point. So yes, if we do lose Nebraska fans will probably moan knowing that a loss is damaging to any fan who dreams of getting an at large bid. At the end of the day Nebraska needs to find a way to at minimum go 11-7 in the Big Ten regular season. They can still do that with a loss to Michigan but after that we play one more game against a current top 50 RPI team and that's on the road. Maryland is on the cusp at #51.
Agree completely! That’s why I didn’t take the standard click bait by calling our fans dumb. I just think some use a sky is falling attitude about several losses only to realize that there is a long season ahead.

Michigan absolutely represents a great opportunity to boost tournament chances (I think I even noted that earlier).

I just get tired of the predicted every game “if Miles loses this, he should be fired” posts.

Miles hasn't beaten Michigan once in 6 years here. And most of the losses have been blowouts. Beilein owns Miles like McDermott.
Michigan has always had more talent than NU every single year. This year we should be able to compete talent wise iMO.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT