ADVERTISEMENT

Nebraskas options going forward?

Who is "we"? I'm curious how "we" discern that a state with a population less than 2 million, by far the smallest pop base in the B10, brings more to the table than we get back? When you found out from your livestock hauler that the boys at the Coop at Wauneta were talking footbawl just as much as the good ole boys over in Hayes County, I'm sure you thought the B10 was getting a pretty sweet deal, with Husker footbawl being on the lips of working men and women across the counties. Hell, I hear they even talk football up in Hershey, Lorenzo, Brule, and on up to Lisco. Now, by the time you get into some of them big cities like Ogallala, or Kimball, or god forbid, the really urban hell holes like Alliance or Scottsbluff, them folks have so many entertainment options, footbawl ain't really a prime focus.

I see you found out how to run google.

SEC is a better culture fit than the big ten or big 12. Doesn't fit geographically, but attitude and culture? It would be a great fit. Man how I wish we went to the sec and mizzou went to the big ten.

That's for damn sure. The Big10 & the Texass Big12 have SERIOUS problems. The SEC would be terrific!! No PC horsesh*t to put up with.

Going independent isn't an option. Even if Nebraska pulled it off in football, all of the other sports need a conference. Even Notre Dame needs the ACC for all sports other than football.

The best option is to go back to the Big 12. While the Big 12 isn't perfect, they at least share the same values as Nebraska. Nebraska is more culturally inclined with Oklahoma than any school in the Big Ten. Nebraska is also better suited to recruit in Texas than anywhere in the Big Ten footprint.

I'm fairly confident in saying that the Big 12 has already told Nebraska they'll welcome them back in 2023, and I'm sure the discussions will only intensify next year while Nebraska is in Norman, and the following year when OU comes to Lincoln.

As I remember it once the Texas schools joined the Big 8, Oklahoma was more inclined to aligned itself with the Longhorns than it was with Nebraska. Has my memory failed me?

Is this a guess or do you have credible sources on the Big 12 wanting Nebraska back? I haven't seen them in a rush to add more schools to their conference.

I have a K-State friend I've known since high school who lives in the Seattle area . He HATES Nebraska for leaving the Big 12. Its so bad it has strained our friendship. I saying nothing but good things about the Wildcats. I text him congratulations after they win. I get nothing but venom from him in return when it comes to the Huskers. He thinks we all are a greedy bunch of SOBs.

Hey this is just one friend, but are you sure they want us back?

Last edited:
Nebraska fans act like the B1G needs us or really cares that much about us at this point, all we've done is lose football games, whine, and threaten to take our ball and go home. . If we left, they wouldn't lose an ounce of sleep and after all our whining they'd prolly be glad to see us go. Put your big girl pants on, stop freaking whining about everything, and win some gawd damn football games.
I haven't seen anything to indicate that. Most understand where we fit in the totem poll of the the B1G. 10 years of BS have made it very clear where we sit. I don't think it is about us thinking the B1G needs us. I think it is just Nebraska being Nebraska. We care deeply about our football, and will do whatever it takes to play and defend our team. Even if that mean going against the grain. Yes than may come across as arrogant or that we think the B1G needs us. I think it just show Nebraska is confident that they will be ok with or without the B1G. That we aren't going to bow down to any man or conference. The B1G seems to have this attitude that we owe them. That we should be grateful they let us join. Lets be honest Nebraska could join any conference in the country. We bring a deep history, and insane fanbase, tv ratings and money.

That's for damn sure. The Big10 & the Texass Big12 have SERIOUS problems. The SEC would be terrific!! No PC horsesh*t to put up with.
Agree, culture and mindset there would be no better fit than the SEC. I just don't think it will happen unless there is a massive realignment/ expansion.

Reactions: BleedRed78
All you who think going independent is a good idea better talk to BYU fans. They would do anything and spend any amount of money necessary to be in a Power 5 conference.
Not sure you can compare BYU to NEbraska. Probably closer to Notre Dame. They have been fine.

We’re not going anywhere...All’s we did was ask to play a football game outside of the conference...I don’t understand why people are in a Tiffy over that...

Talked to a Iowa buddy and he even thought it was no problem playing another game when Wisky was the one that canceled the game..

Reactions: dinglefritz
There is a fitment issue.

Nebraska doesn't give a crap about academics, not like the league does. Nebraska cares about football, something the league doesn't care about.

There will always be this problem, and the perceived bad treatment will only get worse, and grow into the kind of drama we don't really want.

Just exit the league and go back to the Big 12, say there was a fitment issue, and most everyone will understand that.

That is the way forward.
What if the Big 12 doesn't want Nebraska? Nebraska left because the other 10 members always sided with Texas. Anything different with the situation in BIG?

We’re not going anywhere...All’s we did was ask to play a football game outside of the conference...I don’t understand why people are in a Tiffy over that...

Talked to a Iowa buddy and he even thought it was no problem playing another game when Wisky was the one that canceled the game..
I don't know if the BIG had guidance when they set up this last schedule for playing outside the conference if a BIG was impacted by a vivid cancellation. I'm guessing that it was assumed that since previously the BIG had said conference only games that that question was answered. Also, did Nebraska arrange the replacement game prior to talking to the BIG or just try and do an end run? I guess if Nebraska tried an end run it really pissed some people off and I'm not talking about Warren.

I don't know if the BIG had guidance when they set up this last schedule for playing outside the conference if a BIG was impacted by a vivid cancellation. I'm guessing that it was assumed that since previously the BIG had said conference only games that that question was answered. Also, did Nebraska arrange the replacement game prior to talking to the BIG or just try and do an end run? I guess if Nebraska tried an end run it really pissed some people off and I'm not talking about Warren.
Maybe Nebraska knew they would say no but wanted to highlight how stupid the folks in charge are one more time. Or maybe it was more of a lets see if we can put something together before we expose ourselves to another potential kick in the nuts. Putting elitist academics completely in charge of Athletics will never work. I think we already gave the BIG 10 a road map of how that goes (See Harvey Pearlman).

What if the Big 12 doesn't want Nebraska? Nebraska left because the other 10 members always sided with Texas. Anything different with the situation in BIG?
We did have an issue with Texas as they started making all these decisions, like the conference championship game being held in Jerry Jones new stadium and we felt like there was a bit of fairness being stepped on, but in general, the Big 12 was always about football. Close neighbors, and even more importantly, our history and identity came from there.

Being uprooted from our history as well as recruiting grounds has made things even more difficult in trying to get back.

You can see the frustration now.. Scott and the team want to do everything possible to get Nebraska back, and the conference doesn’t even want to really play.

It’s a completely different culture in the Big Ten. Feelers were put out and the Big12 would welcome us back with open arms.

We might get some ribbing, deservedly so, but the healing could begin and in time, this B1G experiment would be forgotten.

If we stay, then it’s always going to be a cultural problem, and we may have trouble getting back, and this snowballs into a drama show for years.

Fans convinced the conference is out to get them, and the rest of the schools making fun of the school at every turn.

You have seen the recent write up? What a joke of a reporter, completely biased take and not understanding what is important to the University of Nebraska and it’s fans.

Reactions: bshirt73
Come to Benkelman and say that and I'll slap you. I use Bing. Leodis Flowers? Imaginative. Nice handle. Was George Achola taken?

I M Hippy getting excited for his date tonight....

GUEST_481df50e-5d8c-4729-9a82-7e0109ca5abb

We did have an issue with Texas as they started making all these decisions, like the conference championship game being held in Jerry Jones new stadium and we felt like there was a bit of fairness being stepped on, but in general, the Big 12 was always about football. Close neighbors, and even more importantly, our history and identity came from there.

Being uprooted from our history as well as recruiting grounds has made things even more difficult in trying to get back.

You can see the frustration now.. Scott and the team want to do everything possible to get Nebraska back, and the conference doesn’t even want to really play.

It’s a completely different culture in the Big Ten. Feelers were put out and the Big12 would welcome us back with open arms.

We might get some ribbing, deservedly so, but the healing could begin and in time, this B1G experiment would be forgotten.

If we stay, then it’s always going to be a cultural problem, and we may have trouble getting back, and this snowballs into a drama show for years.

Fans convinced the conference is out to get them, and the rest of the schools making fun of the school at every turn.

You have seen the recent write up? What a joke of a reporter, completely biased take and not understanding what is important to the University of Nebraska and it’s fans.
Never thought I would see the day.......I agree with Nicki Sixx. And yes, they would welcome us back. Not without some big chested public shaming of course.

What is your point? Is it an achievement in this crazy year of Covid to be ranked #11 after beating 6 bad teams? You think if the Pac 12 called up BYU today and offered them a spot that BYU would turn them down? I don't think so. BYU has to play in the WCC in all other sports.

Yes, it is an achievement. They would probably decline the invite seeing how poorly ran The Pac 12 is.

Since you want to play silly hypotheticals ...If Nebraska was an undefeated independent this year, and Big Ten offered them a spot, would they take it? Hell no.

Yes, it is an achievement. They would probably decline the invite seeing how poorly ran The Pac 12 is.

Since you want to play silly hypotheticals ...If Nebraska was an undefeated independent this year, and Big Ten offered them a spot, would they take it? Hell no.

You have no grip on reality. BYU would sell their soul to be in the PAC 12

Come to Benkelman and say that and I'll slap you. I use Bing. Leodis Flowers? Imaginative. Nice handle. Was George Achola taken?
The guy with IMHippy as his screen name is criticizing somebody else using Leodis Flowers?

The guy with IMHippy as his screen name is criticizing somebody else using Leodis Flowers?
[/QUOT

Not much in Benkleman. Sometime instead of taking US 36 I go through Benkleman so I can get a runza in McCook. Isn’t Benkleman the home of Ward Bond. Loved him when I was a little kid when he was the lead in “Wagon Train”. As an adult I like him even better in “The Quiet Man”. He had a small part in one of my favorite movies, “Rio Bravo”.

Last edited:
Reactions: dinglefritz
Lol we aren't Notre Dame. Stability and financial security in the B1G is what we need, we waited a few years just for our damn fair share of revenue. We can't jump ship again. It sucks now but we are not going anywhere. At least we get revenue generated by other B1G games this weekend. It does feel like KW is out to get us, chuckling at us while the rest of the conference gets to play their second game of the season. Go to watch the whiners get their sh!t kicked in, and second game canceled.
win games

Correct. My handle includes a layer of cleverness. Wit. Humor. That goon just full on used a former players christian name. Now, if I would be rolling with straight up IM HIpp . . . then I'd grant you some pot calling the kettle black action. But aIn't, and I won't. I wouldn't think someone with your handle would want to be starting anything.

Correct. My handle includes a layer of cleverness. Wit. Humor. That goon just full on used a former players christian name. Now, if I would be rolling with straight up IM HIpp . . . then I'd grant you some pot calling the kettle black action. But aIn't, and I won't. I wouldn't think someone with your handle would want to be starting anything.
My handle is meant to show that I don't take myself too seriously. I'm not the one who critiqued Leodis Flowers as a screen name. Leodis Flowers is on my all name team.

Reactions: scarletred
i wanna go PAC. the teams aren't as mean there

Maybe not mean but certainly more arrogant. If they are losing their fans will leave early in the 3rd quarter. Last time the Huskers played the Huskies in Seattle there was not a Husky fan left when the 4th quarter rolled around.

I‘ve written this story on this board before. About 30-35 years ago when I was working in Seattle and my Husky brother and I had Husky season tickets I was complaining at work about Husky fans leaving early when they were behind. Mind you this was during the Don James era when they were winning more than losing. One of my best friends and Husky alum was listening to my rant. He responded without missing a beat, “That’s because we have more things to do”. They think Husker fans are a bunch of country bumpkins living on a desolate, wind swept prairie

Nebraska fans act like the B1G needs us or really cares that much about us at this point, all we've done is lose football games, whine, and threaten to take our ball and go home. . If we left, they wouldn't lose an ounce of sleep and after all our whining they'd prolly be glad to see us go. Put your big girl pants on, stop freaking whining about everything, and win some gawd damn football games.

AMEN

Reactions: Wasker77
I honestly think the SEC would be the best political fit... it doesn’t make sense geographically but I see more in common among the athletic departments and fan bases then with other B1G schools. Would it ever happen... not likely.

We are not playing politics, we are playing football, volleyball etc..Plus we have good dental care.

Except, isnt that one of the biggest reasons we left the Big12 in the first place? Having to put up with the 1-11 votes against us?

If we want to act like a power player, we need to win like one. Start winning, start kicking ass in academics. BE a leader in the conference. Then we will actually get treated like one. Right now, we are neither.
I think the biggest reason was everyone thought the big 12 would no longer be a conference. People seem to forget there were 6 teams that were going to the pac 10.

Obviously nobody is happy with the B1G leadership right now. Nor how they have targeted Nebraska negatively these last 10 years. My question is what options do we have? What would be the best for us as a program and University as a whole.

Option #1 Leaving for another Conference
The Good- We could find a conference that more aligns with Nebraska views, politics, and football goals. We would have a conference that hopefully isn't trying to shove us down every chance. I don't think we would have any issue have many takers on wanting us to join their conf.
The Bad- Every conference is going to have its problems and issues. The hassle involved in changing conferences. Less money. The B1G is one if not the largest revenue producing conf. Let alone all the grants ect we would lose out on.

Option #2 Staying in the B1G
The Good- As stated above the money we recieve is probably larger than we would get anywhere else. We have a conference that is solid and we shouldn't have to worry about it breaking and us being homeless.
The Bad- We have never seemed to really mess or fit well in the B1G. It has really hurt us recruiting wise. The B1G has continually treated Nebraska as the outsider and done everything in its power to make sure we stay in the mud. Will that change? Can it change? Hard to stay in a place where you aren't wanted.

Option #3 Go independent
The Good- Lets us create our own schedule. Lets us run our programs how we see fit and not be dictated by the whims of a liberal conference. Everything we make we get to keep. No sharing with other teams.
The Bad- Similar to leaving the conf, our finances would probably take a hit, but by how much? Sometimes money isn't everything.

IMO I thin going independent would be the best option for Nebraska as long as revenue would stay similar.

the only option that’s going to happen is us staying with the BIG 10. We won’t be leaving this conference anytime soon. This years team has a chance to be fairly solid and could do pretty well. We need to focus on doing the best we can when we take the field and win games. As simple as that. Make our statements between the lines. Our Huskers will only get better and better over the next couple years and then we will see what’s up?

My handle is meant to show that I don't take myself too seriously. I'm not the one who critiqued Leodis Flowers as a screen name. Leodis Flowers is on my all name team.
I'll grant you that dingle. Wonder Monds. Leodis Flowers. Jarvis Redwine. Rick Berns. Frosty Anderson. Steinkuhler is a name God created for a lineman. Dave Humm.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT