ADVERTISEMENT

Nebraskas options going forward?

Going independent isn't an option. Even if Nebraska pulled it off in football, all of the other sports need a conference. Even Notre Dame needs the ACC for all sports other than football.

The best option is to go back to the Big 12. While the Big 12 isn't perfect, they at least share the same values as Nebraska. Nebraska is more culturally inclined with Oklahoma than any school in the Big Ten. Nebraska is also better suited to recruit in Texas than anywhere in the Big Ten footprint.

I'm fairly confident in saying that the Big 12 has already told Nebraska they'll welcome them back in 2023, and I'm sure the discussions will only intensify next year while Nebraska is in Norman, and the following year when OU comes to Lincoln.

Obviously nobody is happy with the B1G leadership right now. Nor how they have targeted Nebraska negatively these last 10 years. My question is what options do we have? What would be the best for us as a program and University as a whole.

Option #1 Leaving for another Conference
The Good- We could find a conference that more aligns with Nebraska views, politics, and football goals. We would have a conference that hopefully isn't trying to shove us down every chance. I don't think we would have any issue have many takers on wanting us to join their conf.
The Bad- Every conference is going to have its problems and issues. The hassle involved in changing conferences. Less money. The B1G is one if not the largest revenue producing conf. Let alone all the grants ect we would lose out on.

Option #2 Staying in the B1G
The Good- As stated above the money we recieve is probably larger than we would get anywhere else. We have a conference that is solid and we shouldn't have to worry about it breaking and us being homeless.
The Bad- We have never seemed to really mess or fit well in the B1G. It has really hurt us recruiting wise. The B1G has continually treated Nebraska as the outsider and done everything in its power to make sure we stay in the mud. Will that change? Can it change? Hard to stay in a place where you aren't wanted.

Option #3 Go independent
The Good- Lets us create our own schedule. Lets us run our programs how we see fit and not be dictated by the whims of a liberal conference. Everything we make we get to keep. No sharing with other teams.
The Bad- Similar to leaving the conf, our finances would probably take a hit, but by how much? Sometimes money isn't everything.

IMO I thin going independent would be the best option for Nebraska as long as revenue would stay similar.
As I said in another post, Option #1 and Option #3 are impossible because the B1G owns our media rights. Yeah, we can leave BUT the media rights stay with the B1G. That signing away of media rights was exactly meant to prevent schools from having the ability to leave.

So it's OK for fans to vent as much as they want but there's no practical option that allows any team to leave the conference any time soon. Any team wanting to do that would go bankrupt.

Believe me, if the Big Effing Ten wants to get rid of us, it will be a no fault divorce and they will happily relinquish the media rights if we happily leave for another conference.

Reactions: husker2612
Believe me, if the Big Effing Ten wants to get rid of us, it will be a no fault divorce and they will happily relinquish the media rights if we happily leave for another conference.
But why would the B1G want to get rid of us when our TV viewership pulls in good ratings (ie., helps justify the money). Plus I think the conference brass enjoys having a team they can kick around and abuse.

If we were to go back to the Big12, it would rival the Big10s media contract and we wouldn't have to put up with the BS we do now.
Except, isnt that one of the biggest reasons we left the Big12 in the first place? Having to put up with the 1-11 votes against us?

If we want to act like a power player, we need to win like one. Start winning, start kicking ass in academics. BE a leader in the conference. Then we will actually get treated like one. Right now, we are neither.

Nebraska fans act like the B1G needs us or really cares that much about us at this point, all we've done is lose football games, whine, and threaten to take our ball and go home. . If we left, they wouldn't lose an ounce of sleep and after all our whining they'd prolly be glad to see us go. Put your big girl pants on, stop freaking whining about everything, and win some gawd damn football games.
Well said. Our program went from one of the toughest, well respected programs to a weak laughingstock. Try traveling out of the state and starting a conversation up about Nebraska football in 2020. There is very little respect.

Nebraska fans act like the B1G needs us or really cares that much about us at this point, all we've done is lose football games, whine, and threaten to take our ball and go home. . If we left, they wouldn't lose an ounce of sleep and after all our whining they'd prolly be glad to see us go. Put your big girl pants on, stop freaking whining about everything, and win some gawd damn football games.

Couldn't have said it better. I honestly think Nebraska fans have some sort of wharped since of entitlement. I think we have took some tough breaks but at some point we gotta man up and win some games. Had we won in the BIG like we did in big8/big 12 maybe they would look at us differently. But right now we are coming off like that chick who USED to be fine as hell 15 years ago but right now she is pretty average at best. Yet IN HER MIND she is still that "dime" that she used to be.

I just wanna win. Wanna make em respect you and treat you right start putting foot to ass. I guess I'm in the crowd that's just tired of the whining. Even though there may be some truth to it. It accomplished nothing but makes us look worse in the big picture.

Holla

Well said. Our program went from one of the toughest, well respected programs to a weak laughingstock. Try traveling out of the state and starting a conversation up about Nebraska football in 2020. There is very little respect.

The Big Ten doesn’t need us. I can’t see how they wouldn’t want us though.

This is what happens when you put $ above all things. When the big 8 allowed Texass and the other SWC schools that cheated for decades have majority power because they brought a bigger paycheck to the table, you lose.

When you join the big 10 because they can pay you more, you are forced to abide by their rules.

I tell people all the time. Do not move jobs just for the bigger paycheck alone. There has to be more than just more $. Nebraska has failed in that regard. When you follow the money you will always not be in control.

Its called the golden rule. He who has the gold makes the rules. Ohio St, Michigan, and the big ten chancellor hold the gold.

Its now time to eat the pile of crap that was put in front of the University of Nebraska for that paycheck.

Except, isnt that one of the biggest reasons we left the Big12 in the first place? Having to put up with the 1-11 votes against us?

If we want to act like a power player, we need to win like one. Start winning, start kicking ass in academics. BE a leader in the conference. Then we will actually get treated like one. Right now, we are neither.
The single biggest reason we left was because of the longhorn network. Texas was positioning themselves to leave the conference one way or another and that was their fallback plan. Now that its proven itself to not be a viable product, they are solidly in the Big12 and have lost their leverage.

Athletically speaking, conference affiliation is based 100% on media rights. Nebraska was only allowed to join the Big10 because we are still a huge media draw and that hasn't changed. Now that the Big10 undermined their own negotiating power with ABC and FOX, along with traditional media falling victim to streaming and ala-carte subscribers i could see a Big12 with nebraska actually being more profitable.

I honestly think the SEC would be the best political fit... it doesn’t make sense geographically but I see more in common among the athletic departments and fan bases then with other B1G schools. Would it ever happen... not likely.

I honestly think the SEC would be the best political fit... it doesn’t make sense geographically but I see more in common among the athletic departments and fan bases then with other B1G schools. Would it ever happen... not likely.
Climate change in 20 years and rising sea levels will push the ocean much farther inland. We will soon be much closer to the ocean. Join the SEC now to start preparing.

Reactions: huntered
This is what happens when you put $ above all things. When the big 8 allowed Texass and the other SWC schools that cheated for decades have majority power because they brought a bigger paycheck to the table, you lose.

When you join the big 10 because they can pay you more, you are forced to abide by their rules.

I tell people all the time. Do not move jobs just for the bigger paycheck alone. There has to be more than just more $. Nebraska has failed in that regard. When you follow the money you will always not be in control.

Its called the golden rule. He who has the gold makes the rules. Ohio St, Michigan, and the big ten chancellor hold the gold.

Its now time to eat the pile of crap that was put in front of the University of Nebraska for that paycheck.
Nebraska will continue to cash that fat check. There will be no move to another conference. Why? Because the individual(s) who would make that decision aren't fvckn idiots that's why. They are not going to willingly lose hundreds of millions of dollars because Moos or Frost don't like the schedule or for some other goofy reason. And you're right, they will continue to follow conference rules - even if they are occasionally unfair - to keep the money flowing. No amount of fan whining is going to change that.

Reactions: I M HIPPY
the 5 most likely states to have election fraud this november are mn, wi, il, mi, and pa. the liberal lean of their state institutions is also very apparent. not likely to change any time soon. our problems with the big 10 will just continue. for myself i would much rather travel south to see a game than i ever would east.

We left the Big 12 when it was about to implode. The power lied in Austin and in Dallas and in Arlington and the Longhorn Network. You can't tell me you don't remember why we left. We left that pile of a conference. We got a better conference. We got the BTN. We got better academics.

The decision to go to the B1G was made because we stood to make more money. The reason we will stay in the B1G for the long haul is because we stand to make more money than by going back to the XII or going independent. Harvey didn't give a rat's ass about being good in football he wanted to Make UNL a better academic institution and the Money and Prestige from the B1G did that. The decision was never about football it was always about money.

Reactions: nu2u
The decision to go to the B1G was made because we stood to make more money. The reason we will stay in the B1G for the long haul is because we stand to make more money than by going back to the XII or going independent. Harvey didn't give a rat's ass about being good in football he wanted to Make UNL a better academic institution and the Money and Prestige from the B1G did that. The decision was never about football it was always about money.
The Big Ten is the most lucrative athletic conference with revenues just under $780 million in 2019, about $340 million more than Big 12 revenues. Nebraska is also a member of the Big Ten Academic Alliance, the most prestigious and - by far - the most lucrative consortium of research universities ($10.5 billion in 2019 funded research). Nebraska isn't leaving the gold mine.

Reactions: WHCSC and TheNewNU
Some of it is whinning. Some of the complaints are warrented (see comparative strength of schedule since joining conf).
The only reason Nebraska was invited is football and its brand. Has Nebraska held up its end? Nope, but its not easy when you are constantly rebuilding.
The disturbing part of all of this is that even when Delany was commish he continued to whore out Nebraska. His motive was greed because despite the suckage Nebraska still draws eyes. Now he is gone and the speckticalled nerds have seized power and it has become punitive.
I dont believe Delany intentionally set out to damage or destroy the brand. But, the damage started there. The nerds seem hell bent on it.
If you destroy the brand what is left? Maybe the BIG should act like the business that it is. In the thirty five years I have run businesses I cant remember ever intentionally devaluing an asset or a product.

Just my 2 cents.

Going independent isn’t an option . Let’s get this notion out of our heads..

Agreed - the older Penn State fans don't like the Big 10 much more than we do, but they - a long time Eastern independent - decided that being an independent was no longer financially viable 30 years ago. Honestly, our only real option (besides staying in the Big 10) is going back to the Big 12 - many of us sorely miss the Big 8 schools, and we'd feel just as awkward in the SEC, ACC, or PAC-12 as we do in the Big 10.

Reactions: scarletred
For once, I'd love to see the NCAA come in and seriously bitch slap the B1G hierarchy and come down on this conference like a trip hammer.

• Haha
Reactions: HBFR
Nebraska’s current state of affairs reminds me of the Geico commercial.

“When you’re in a horror movie you make bad decisions”

“Why can’t we just get in the running car”

“Are you crazy, lets hide behind the saws”

Nebraska is in that horror movie, not many good choices out there right now. Maybe wait on some leverage? A couple years from now - a great VB team (ridiculous recruiting class coming in), a much improved BB team and a much improved football team. In two years the options might seem more appealing. Right now, just retrench and be patient

Reactions: BigredN
SEC is a better culture fit than the big ten or big 12. Doesn't fit geographically, but attitude and culture? It would be a great fit. Man how I wish we went to the sec and mizzou went to the big ten.
I like the South - probably the friendliest people in the country - but honestly, I wouldn't want to be the Northern outcast in the SEC - every state currently in the SEC was either part of the Confederacy or was a border state with divided loyalties (Kentucky, Missouri) - we wouldn't really fit in at all.

Hi all,

I just wanted to stop by and say just a few things...not that you would truly care about anything a Hawk fans says. ;)

1) You got ROYALLY SCREWED by both Wisconsin AND the BIG leadership. Look, if this had happened to any other BIG team, there is NO WAY the fans base would want the school leadership to just sit back and not find a way to play. I (and believe it or not) other BIG fans applaud your leaders attempt to try and find a way to get your kids a game to play!

2) I know that it has been a rough time since joining the BIG, but you guys are truly about to turn the corner. In fact, I really think this could be the year. Frost is the right guy and will get it done. Now don't get me wrong. I want the Hawks to win EVERY year, but dammit...the West NEEDS the real Nebraska to come back! I am sick and tired of hearing how great the East is. You wanna see some fun? Watch a "Back on Track" Nebraska take down the East powers. I am ready for that to happen. Just like I wish the Hawks would do as well. As far as I am concerned, if the Hawks can't win the division, I would be glad to see the Huskers represent. For pete sakes, not the Gofers, Badgers or Illini (no worries there, but I HATE that team!)

3) Your "Fit" in the conference will be GREAT once you do turn the corner (this year?). Your bring the whole package and the conference knows it...huge fan base, large TV audience and a huge commitment to Football. Many, many BIG fans DO NOT WANT YOU TO LEAVE.

I truly hope you get to play the rest of your games......good luck!

I was for the move and still think it can work out but Nebraska is like a fish out of water in the big 10 and we don’t fit In especially geographic, much better fit with the old big 8 and even the big 12

Let's put it this way, DONU will never be given a fair shake in this conference no matter if we are here 100 years. Since we'll never have any respect freely here. What needs to be done, is rebuilding what once was dominance and prominance, which Frost is in the process of doing now and if this conference won't give it. Once we are around or close to what we once were, we will then literally beat it the **** out of em.

Reactions: CatColumbia
All 100% true. It pains me to hear it though. Is it ok if I still hate the BIG10? lol...harsh truth, harsh.

All you who think going independent is a good idea better talk to BYU fans. They would do anything and spend any amount of money necessary to be in a Power 5 conference.

They are 6-0 and ranked #11. Think if they were in the PAC 12...Oh they would be 0-0.

I find it funny how people think nebraska needs the Big10 because of the media revenue. We bring more to the table than we get back. Don't shortchange our fan draw, its huge and still carries a lot of weight. If we were to go back to the Big12, it would rival the Big10s media contract and we wouldn't have to put up with the BS we do now.
Who is "we"? I'm curious how "we" discern that a state with a population less than 2 million, by far the smallest pop base in the B10, brings more to the table than we get back? When you found out from your livestock hauler that the boys at the Coop at Wauneta were talking footbawl just as much as the good ole boys over in Hayes County, I'm sure you thought the B10 was getting a pretty sweet deal, with Husker footbawl being on the lips of working men and women across the counties. Hell, I hear they even talk football up in Hershey, Lorenzo, Brule, and on up to Lisco. Now, by the time you get into some of them big cities like Ogallala, or Kimball, or god forbid, the really urban hell holes like Alliance or Scottsbluff, them folks have so many entertainment options, footbawl ain't really a prime focus.

Who is "we"? I'm curious how "we" discern that a state with a population less than 2 million, by far the smallest pop base in the B10, brings more to the table than we get back? When you found out from your livestock hauler that the boys at the Coop at Wauneta were talking footbawl just as much as the good ole boys over in Hayes County, I'm sure you thought the B10 was getting a pretty sweet deal, with Husker footbawl being on the lips of working men and women across the counties. Hell, I hear they even talk football up in Hershey, Lorenzo, Brule, and on up to Lisco. Now, by the time you get into some of them big cities like Ogallala, or Kimball, or god forbid, the really urban hell holes like Alliance or Scottsbluff, them folks have so many entertainment options, footbawl ain't really a prime focus.
somebody call @I M HIPPY a wahhhhhmbulance

trying to play football is petulant? we're worthless to the b1g? maybe consider all the transgressions this league has allowed to go on for decades, leaving hundreds upon hundreds of victims in its wake, prior to your next petty, Nebraska-hating post.

They are 6-0 and ranked #11. Think if they were in the PAC 12...Oh they would be 0-0.

What is your point? Is it an achievement in this crazy year of Covid to be ranked #11 after beating 6 bad teams? You think if the Pac 12 called up BYU today and offered them a spot that BYU would turn them down? I don't think so. BYU has to play in the WCC in all other sports.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT