ADVERTISEMENT

Nebraska's Bo Pelini buyout reduced to monthly payments of $128,009 over next 46 months

Christopherson made some comments this morning on S&B that he thinks his salary might be a little of a personal jab at Nebraska.

Disdain for the fans, spits in the University's face on the way out, and now it has to pay him $128,000+ a month into 2019. Truly pathetic. What an colossal waste of money.

That's fine. I'm sure his psychiatrist doesn't want to be payed in autographs and memorabilia. That whale trophy was top notch but not the kinds of things a shrink wants in their office. Helping out the mentality insane is the Christian thing to do after all.

Last edited:
Reminds me of the old joke. ..Why are divorces so expensive?... Because they're worth it!:)

In

In what way? The last digit being a 9? I missed the interview.

I agree - what was the context of the comment and what exactly were Christopherson's thoughts? What gave him that thought? That could be interpreted as a pretty spicy accusation for a professional to make in public. I expect it from the more virtriolic on the web, but not from a professional.

In

In what way? The last digit being a 9? I missed the interview.
Basically that the guy before Bo at YSU made the same amount and had the same bonus incentives. In theory, Bo coming from a huge program like Nebraska should have warranted a much larger salary. The fact that it's the same amount seemed fishy to him.

Basically that the guy before Bo at YSU made the same amount and had the same bonus incentives. In theory, Bo coming from a huge program like Nebraska should have warranted a much larger salary. The fact that it's the same amount seemed fishy to him.
Ahhhh, that makes more sense! Thanks

Not sure why Bo coaching at Nebraska would warrant a much larger salary. He did nothing special as a head coach other than win 9 games. He won most of the game he should have won and lost all of the game he should have. Nothing in my mind that would warrant a huge bump in salary

The salary range at a school like YSU is pretty narrow (especially the top end), regardless of credentials.

The money seems obscene, and it is when you think about what families have to live on in the real world. However, buyouts like this are a cost of doing business. If a coach doesn't have a 5-year deal he is at a disadvantage in recruiting. One of the ways Bo perpetuated the us against them mentality was bitching to his players about "getting no support". Just think how bad a mood Bo would have been in the upcoming season if Eichorst kept him on, but didn't extend his contract.

No idea why it would surprise BC as that's pretty standard. Also, Pelini's contract with Nebraska is clear as day about market value pricing for his next job and that's exactly what YSU did.

For Bo to demands more money, that would mean he had a higher paid opportunity to use as leverage. And we all know that didn't happen or NU would have one hell of a case to void his contract and future payments.

Mind blow. Complete and total mind blow. I can't even fathom 128k a month...a year yes, but not a month. This equate to 1.536 million a year. My goodness.
I am with you! I would sure like having a good time spending 120K a month!

No idea why it would surprise BC as that's pretty standard. Also, Pelini's contract with Nebraska is clear as day about market value pricing for his next job and that's exactly what YSU did.

For Bo to demands more money, that would mean he had a higher paid opportunity to use as leverage. And we all know that didn't happen or NU would have one hell of a case to void his contract and future payments.

Tim, I don't think you're right here.

Bo's contract at Nebraska stated that he "agreed to accept a duty to mitigate": Within a reasonably brief period following termination, Coach shall use his or her best efforts to seek and secure substantially comparable employment including the customary and reasonable terms and conditions of compensation at the new employment... ."

Nothing in there would require Bo to either take a higher paying job if it was offered, or that he would have been compelled to use a higher-compensation offer to obtain a higher salary at YSU, meaning that N could not have used that against him. He could have turned down a D1 HC job (say Kansas) or the Bears DC job, either of which would paid higher than YSU's HC job, and no court in the land would have held it against him for failing to mitigate his severance payments. The public policy is dead-set against that sort of ruling; courts don't force people to work or accept work they do not want, particularly when he'd accepted a HC job in his hometown - assuming the judge would even determine YSU is "substantially comparable employment," which it likely is. And the bad PR for the University would not be worth the effort - why change the narrative from him deserving to be fired to the University being vindictive. The savings would not have been enough, considering he took a job very quickly instead of waiting two seasons for a higher paying gig.

In reality, these clauses are really hard to enforce and costs a fortune to do so. What is a "reasonably brief period?" What are "best efforts?" And do the best efforts go to the "seek" part or the "secure" part? All things that could be litigated.

Is blabbing about CFB from behind a desk on CBS Sports Network "substantially comparable employment?" That'd be interesting to determine. I'd say no.

And no good lawyer on the part of the University still should be using the meaningless (or triple-potential meaning) verb "shall" anymore. The verb here is "must."

And my favorite part: "His or her"? WTF.

Last edited:
Christopherson made some comments this morning on S&B that he thinks his salary might be a little of a personal jab at Nebraska.
Why would Bo take a job where he was not making more over the same position as the guy the year before? I seem to recall that his mindset was that yearly raises are mandatory, regardless of performance or behavior. Bo seems to be in another job where his hands are tied. Only a matter of time before he consumes himself with trying to get fired.

Why would Bo take a job where he was not making more over the same position as the guy the year before? I seem to recall that his mindset was that yearly raises are mandatory, regardless of performance or behavior. Bo seems to be in another job where his hands are tied. Only a matter of time before he consumes himself with trying to get fired.
Bo probably couldn't get a job anywhere else. He's toxic and been shown that he wasn't up for a major head coaching job. Nobody but his hometown buddies were gonna take a chance on him.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT