ADVERTISEMENT

Nebraska's 20 most bizarre moments

coach00036

Senior
Mar 9, 2006
For any of you masochists out there, Mitch Sherman and a few local sports personalities put together a list of 20 strange events from the past decade of Nebraska football. Interesting, painful read. Not sure if anybody around here subscribes to The Athletic, but I've linked it below

Sherman article

huskerno.gif
failkick.0.gif

1. Bo: "F*ck the fans"
  2. "Do you see the strain?"
  3. The meeting at North Star
  4. Calibraska
  5. "We had to evaluate where Iowa was."
  6. National dorks belittle Nebraska's desire to play 2020 season
  7. Players sue the Big Ten
  8. Bo: "If they wanna fire me, go ahead."
  9. Hoodiegate
  10. 2015 finish vs. Illinois
  11. Five placekickers in 2019
  12. Eichhorst tries to kill Black Friday
  13. Clapgate
  14. TF calls for firing entire defensive staff
  15. The thunderstorm, the knee twist and Troy
  16. Wisconsin pwns Bo
  17. Tanner Lee hands victory to NIU
  18. Moos: "OSU and Michigan must be running scared."
  19. Top 10 Huskers lose 62-3 at OSU
  20. Gangwish and the raccoon

4. Calibraska
  9. Hoodiegate
  13. Clapgate
  16. Wisconsin pwns Bo
It’s gotten so bad, there have been multiple clap gates.

Are you referring to Carl Pelini's private life?
Hahahaha the man is a walking clap gate.

Michigan State 2014 we had a few bad snaps on crucial third downs because a Michigan State defender was discretely clapping when our QB wasn't ready and the center (Pelini nephew) snapped it. Same game that Cotton fell out of his stance.

Reactions: saluno22 and 9and4
Where does bo piis
  4. Calibraska
  9. Hoodiegate
  13. Clapgate
  16. Wisconsin pwns Bo
where does bo pissing his pants come in at?

4. Calibraska
  9. Hoodiegate
  13. Clapgate
  16. Wisconsin pwns Bo

Ben Cotton getting his nards massaged in the pile.

Reactions: Baxter48
Mitch's story was just for the decade since Nebraska joined the Big Ten, so 2006 and 2010 aren't in there. Mitch wrote extensively about the 2010 Texas A&M fiasco. Seriously, if you have the extra money, The Athletic is worth it.
Oh, my goodness, yes! I got two gifts from my son Christmas 2019, that I said...if you want to never think of a gift again for me...just keep renewing...The Athletic and Spotify.

Mitch's story was just for the decade since Nebraska joined the Big Ten, so 2006 and 2010 aren't in there. Mitch wrote extensively about the 2010 Texas A&M fiasco. Seriously, if you have the extra money, The Athletic is worth it.

Eh. I disagree. It was ok, and I do like Sherman, but was just mediocre to me. In this day and age you can get news on any team without having to pay for it and it is basically the same content.

Eh. I disagree. It was ok, and I do like Sherman, but was just mediocre to me. In this day and age you can get news on any team without having to pay for it and it is basically the same content.
The Athletic's reporters have more time to produce thoughtful long-form pieces that you don't get elsewhere. I'd love to read more about the Rockies, the Royals, the Nuggets, the Chiefs, Nebraska and Iowa, but to afford subscriptions to the OWH, the Denver Post, the LJS, the Cedar Rapids Gazette and the Kansas City Star is less cost-effective for me. It's a personal preference, I know, but I'm willing to support reporters with direct payments to their sites. I pay for the Athletic, the CR Gazette (local news), and the NY Times for the Crosswords. Reporters also have bills to pay.

I remember a bizarre Husker moment in the 2003 Nebraska vs Missouri game, OC Barney Cotton wildly celebrates an early Nebraska TD and jumps but lands wrong and tore a calf muscle. He had to wear a boot the rest of the game.

found some OWH archives...

Tom Shatel:
You know it's a Nebraska-Missouri game when one of the coaches gets injured. Barney Cotton was seen limping after one play on the Nebraska sidelines. Of course, NU isn't giving updates on injuries. We'll assume Cotton is day to day. Or, play to play.

By the way, who's Nebraska's back-up offensive coordinator?

———
Mitch Sherman:
Offensive Coordinator Barney Cotton also had a rough night. Cotton fell to the artificial turf as the Huskers came to the sideline following Jammal Lord's 35-yard touchdown run in the third quarter. Cotton said he tore a muscle in his right calf.

Last edited:
I remember a bizarre Husker moment in the 2003 Nebraska vs Missouri game, OC Barney Cotton wildly celebrates an early Nebraska TD and jumps but lands wrong and tore a calf muscle. He had to wear a boot the rest of the game.

found some OWH archives...

Tom Shatel:
You know it's a Nebraska-Missouri game when one of the coaches gets injured. Barney Cotton was seen limping after one play on the Nebraska sidelines. Of course, NU isn't giving updates on injuries. We'll assume Cotton is day to day. Or, play to play.

By the way, who's Nebraska's back-up offensive coordinator?

———
Mitch Sherman:
Offensive Coordinator Barney Cotton also had a rough night. Cotton fell to the artificial turf as the Huskers came to the sideline following Jammal Lord's 35-yard touchdown run in the third quarter. Cotton said he tore a muscle in his right calf.

I remember that. Nebraska took a 24-14 lead heading into the 4th quarter. Of course we would allow 28 points in the 4th, making it the typical Nebraska thing to do post 2001.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT