ADVERTISEMENT

Nebraska Vs. UNO Baskuhball

SomedayHusker

All-American
Oct 26, 2019
Omaha
Huskers look surprisingly decent tonight. They are working Blaise Keita hard inside and he looks great scoring and even better rebounding. I know it’s UNO but they just played Kansas closer than this. I really love how balanced our scoring has been inside and out. Players are being patient, letting the offense come to them.

UNO is much better than Maine and the Huskers look a LOT better this game. The 6’6” freshman Denim Dawson again looking great. Bandoumel looking great. Tominaga barely playing which is fantastic for everyone. Juwan Gary has been surprisingly quiet. But Blaise Keita, maybe not this year but at some point he will at least be a serviceable B1G center. I don’t believe they keep this up but they’re having a good night.

Huskers look surprisingly decent tonight. They are working Blaise Keita hard inside and he looks great scoring and even better rebounding. I know it’s UNO but they just played Kansas closer than this. I really love how balanced our scoring has been inside and out. Players are being patient, letting the offense come to them.

UNO is much better than Maine and the Huskers look a LOT better this game. The 6’6” freshman Denim Dawson again looking great. Bandoumel looking great. Tominaga barely playing which is fantastic for everyone. Juwan Gary has been surprisingly quiet. But Blaise Keita, maybe not this year but at some point he will at least be a serviceable B1G center. I don’t believe they keep this up but they’re having a good night.
Not watching the game, but on paper I think this team has more overall talent (and size) than past Fred teams. Get Walker back, get some of the younger Gs done experience, and I think this could be a funner team to watch. Not sure how many wins that means, but seems like a better roster.

Not watching the game, but on paper I think this team has more overall talent (and size) than past Fred teams. Get Walker back, get some of the younger Gs done experience, and I think this could be a funner team to watch. Not sure how many wins that means, but seems like a better roster.
Yes, we definitely have more all around size than Fred has had here and it’s showing up in the rebounding. I’m not putting too much stock in Griesel getting to the rim in this one because it’s UNO but the team overall is passing and playing well.

Huskers up 64-51 with 6 minutes left. Even when the game was within 6 recently, I still have liked the way they’ve looked. The only thing I would say is that zone is still leaving some shooters open and UNO still making some of those.

Last edited:
I will say this team plays more team Basketball, than last yrs squad. Last yr if Bryce didn't score big, we probably list. This year's team. Scoring can come from different players each night. Look at last night's game. I'm still not sure if this year's team will win alot of games in conference play, but it's fun so far watching this squad.

Reactions: SomedayHusker
Well there is some relief. We already lose badly on an annual basis to Creighton, which is outrageously ridiculous. We don't need to start losing to Omaha's version of Doane college. BTW, they don't like UNO, they prefer to be called Omaha. So from now on please refer to them as UNO.
Or THE Omaha University (trademark 'THE').

Reactions: nwualum
"BTW, they don't like UNO, they prefer to be called Omaha."

Thank you. I had been confused as to who we had even played.

Well there is some relief. We already lose badly on an annual basis to Creighton, which is outrageously ridiculous. We don't need to start losing to Omaha's version of Doane college. BTW, they don't like UNO, they prefer to be called Omaha. So from now on please refer to them as UNO.
Or THE Omaha University (trademark 'THE').

Speaking of the Bluebirds....and I know it was just North Dakota...but what a clinic last nite. Wow.

How is that the best news of the night? He had a good game on Monday.
Don’t mistake him having a good game against Maine or Omaha as him being a Big Ten quality player. Reality is he should be a practice player only and the fact that he plays significant minutes is a poor reflection of Hoibergs recruiting

the fact that he plays significant minutes is a poor reflection of Hoibergs recruiting
And coaching. Fred pulled him last night after one bad shot and probably other mistakes that I missed and he maybe went in for a 3 minute stint after that. Need to see more of that from Fred.

I haven't watched any yet because I did a soul search and decided I couldn't live with myself if I paid extra to watch Husker basketball. That said, I'm looking forward to watching soon and really like the sound of this group. No, they're probably not going to win much but I love the emphasis on defense, rebounding and physicality. The big thing for me is shooting. It's been almost impossibly bad under Hoiberg. Can this bunch be any better from 3?

Sam G. brings a presence of calm and under control that the team has be lacking since Fred took over. I have watched both games and he can cancel out opposing teams threats with his game management. Juwan Gary is good and so is Bandoumel, but the newbies difference maker is Sam G. Without question. For the folks that haven't seen a game, and just look at the box score. You will see what I am talking about soon enough.

Don’t mistake him having a good game against Maine or Omaha as him being a Big Ten quality player. Reality is he should be a practice player only and the fact that he plays significant minutes is a poor reflection of Hoibergs recruiting
Ok.. I guess according to you I can't say someone had a good game. Nobody mentioned the big10 before you. Reality is he was on fire for a bit.

Reactions: Bigred_b1624
Ok.. I guess according to you I can't say someone had a good game. Nobody mentioned the big10 before you. Reality is he was on fire for a bit.
No one said you can’t say that, he was simply responding and pumping the brakes. He’s had one or two other “good games” in the past but he’s more consistently been a liability on both ends of the floor.

Reactions: BrighteRed24
Team has a different feel this year. Not sure what it is, but I feel like they are hustling more, pushing the ball down the court more, playing with more urgency. I havent seen much, just the highlights, but hoping it keeps up. Verge was fine at times last year, but so many times he came up empty at the rim. I like SGs size and the fact that he can blow through a couple guys on his way up. And then to get guys to actually follow misses at the rim with the put back is something I didnt see much last year. Heres to hoping they take another leap forward with Walker coming back

Team has a different feel this year. Not sure what it is, but I feel like they are hustling more, pushing the ball down the court more, playing with more urgency. I havent seen much, just the highlights, but hoping it keeps up. Verge was fine at times last year, but so many times he came up empty at the rim. I like SGs size and the fact that he can blow through a couple guys on his way up. And then to get guys to actually follow misses at the rim with the put back is something I didnt see much last year. Heres to hoping they take another leap forward with Walker coming back
Read my post above Sam Greisel is the change. So glad he is on our squad

Read my post above Sam Greisel is the change. So glad he is on our squad
I sort of agree with what you’re saying. Sam definitely initiates the offense more often by just passing it off right away and it often does start a nice flow of passing that ends in a bucket. I just wish he were more athletic to get us out of a pinch or failed possession, but there are other avenues to go for that too. Would also say he has slightly below average handles for a guard. I think we have a more balanced team for sure as far as who can score and hopefully that leads to more W’s.

I was amazed at how many offensive rebounds we got off of missed FTs. Blaise Keita looked fundamentally sound rebounding the ball and he’s got the size. Solid rebounding alone would be a huge step forward for this team and I am very excited about Blaise. Breidenbach not so much, to me he seems like a PAC-12 player. Bigger perimeter player who isn’t as much of a threat inside.

Too bad we didn't get Scheierman, too. Griesel and Scheierman both would have been a nice backcourt and would have flipped the culture of the program, having two local guys who are veteran leaders. Not sure Griesel alone will be able to make much difference this year.
No doubt. I'm still bummed when I think about how fun that would've been.

Sam G. brings a presence of calm and under control that the team has be lacking since Fred took over. I have watched both games and he can cancel out opposing teams threats with his game management. Juwan Gary is good and so is Bandoumel, but the newbies difference maker is Sam G. Without question. For the folks that haven't seen a game, and just look at the box score. You will see what I am talking about soon enough.
Nice job. Agree. What people aren't mentioning is the commitment to defense. Our close-outs, our active hands, not flying by shooters, the blockouts, winning rebounding, hitting the boards on offense---these things already make us better than last year's team. If Fred is going to stay--it has to be this way going forward defensively. Gary, Emmanuel, Sam, Walker-when he's back, the frosh can all D it up. Keita will only get better..he was a Juco All American..he is just starting to bloom.

Pumping the brakes on what? All I said was that he had a good game.
No. You asked how it was good news that Fred benched him, citing his prior good game. It’s good news because it’s good coaching, because he’s not a consistent player and he wasn’t playing well in THIS game. If he was a better player he would have a longer leash to make some mistakes but he’s not.

Fred we hope succeeds and is here for a long time. He said himself he wants this to be his last job. Players move on after 2-3 years. Good coaching is good news.

Reactions: BrighteRed24
No. You asked how it was good news that Fred benched him, citing his prior good game. It’s good news because it’s good coaching, because he’s not a consistent player and he wasn’t playing well in THIS game. If he was a better player he would have a longer leash to make some mistakes but he’s not.

Fred we hope succeeds and is here for a long time. He said himself he wants this to be his last job. Players move on after 2-3 years. Good coaching is good news.
That's not what I said at all. Jesus Christ all I said was he had a good game on Monday.

Reactions: Bigred_b1624
That's not what I said at all. Jesus Christ all I said was he had a good game on Monday.
How is that the best news of the night? He had a good game on Monday.
Literally exactly what you said…anyways, no one said you “can’t say” this or that, it was just a simple rebuttal. No idea why you got your panties in a wad over it as if someone is duct taping your mouth shut.

Literally exactly what you said…anyways, no one said you “can’t say” this or that, it was just a simple rebuttal. No idea why you got your panties in a wad over it as if someone is duct taping your mouth shut.
That clearly was a rhetorical question. All I said was Tominaga had a good game

ADVERTISEMENT